LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I could only get 5 turns in on my 64. I tried to install the spring at about 6 turns/13" tall but, it just was not happening.. The spring was getting stuck & the angle of the lower a-arm was just too steep to install the spring.. I cut a full turn off & it went right in without a problem & I feel that I will be losing performance... What do you guys think about the cut down spring ?? Will I lose alot of performance or will I be fine? How tall are the springs that most hoppers ( 60's Impalas-ect ) have installed ??? Thanks , BOB_T

·
Registered
9,792 Posts
have you tried "adding more length" to you lower control arms so you can add more turns to the springs?

disadvantage with that is you have better chances of hitting the lower control arm on the ground if your not quick on the switch. ;)

how many batteries you running?

·
Gone But NEVER Forgotten
15,590 Posts
i personally think the spring is to heavy and you made it heavier by cutting it so it may take along time to give but if its in it should work

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
if it has travel and hops right from the start there too short. If it doesnt budge and is hard to make it hop cause it has no travel then you did all you could do.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
*** Fernando gave them to me for cheap & their 4.5 ton springs were ona big back order... They advised me that after these springs broke in that they will work decent.. they have some good space inbetween each coil & they look like they have alot of room to compress.... I wanted to get as much in there as i could but, I guess then I wouldnt be able to drop the front down much..

I have not considered ading more to the lower arms.. I have them fully reinforced & I dont have plans on cutting these ones up ... I could try it with another set -- who knows .... Im just worried that I will lose max performance.....I have 2 1/2" cups added to the lowers as well... just to let you guys know.... BOB_T

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I pulled the uppers off & the spring would hit on the "pocket"on the frame -- where the springs sit... I just couldnt put em in at about 13-1/2" tall ( even with the added cups to the lower )... What are the average length spring that are in the hopping 60's Impalas ??? I have a slingshot rear end like "badass64", 20" Big daddy rear cylinders, 3 CCE Comp pumps that I will run : 1 to the front & 2 to the rear , with 14 [email protected] 10 to the front & 4 to the rear..... Just to let you guys know whats up .....

·
O.G. Poster
1,090 Posts
that setup should be hot as hell.....there is finaly gonna be some hopping this coming summer.....Im all most done with my single pump buick with 18's and a full stack of 5 ton coil only 10 batt's tho if you go to the cinco de mayo car show on the west side this spring you'll seen me there or crusing the midway

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
** I have heard that these are not as stiff as you think they would be.... "BackYard" -- how did you fit a full 17"stack in your car ? There is no way to fit them in my 64... I took off my upper A-Arms an all...I have about 12" of coil right now... & that was about the max I could get to fit in there....I guess i could get more in there but , i dont see it without a spring compressor...I hav got my frame fully wrapped with 1/4" & 3/8" on the cross member, I have an extra plate welded up under the upper a-arm mount where the cylinder goes thru......

* I will try & be down there for the next one.... My buddys security company was down there -- he had a 98 Navigator with 22" lexani Crystals...

Last edited by STREET SWEEPAZ at Oct 20 2003, 02:42 AM

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
Originally posted by BackYardHydraulics@Oct 19 2003, 11:53 PM
that setup should be hot as hell.....there is finaly gonna be some hopping this coming summer.....Im all most done with my single pump buick with 18's and a full stack of 5 ton coil only 10 batt's tho if you go to the cinco de mayo car show on the west side this spring you'll seen me there or crusing the midway
why 5 tons? You would get better performance from a hopper using 3.5-4.5... 5 tons is crock...

·
Registered
25,987 Posts
Originally posted by trudawg@Oct 20 2003, 07:58 PM
I thought I heard that 5 tons don't fit inside the spring pocket on x frame imps :dunno:
I believe bobs have been modified too the point where they are almost totally custom.

·
Registered
17,780 Posts
Originally posted by T BONE+Oct 20 2003, 07:44 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (T BONE @ Oct 20 2003, 07:44 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--trudawg@Oct 20 2003, 07:58 PM
I thought I heard that 5 tons don't fit inside the spring pocket on x frame imps :dunno:
I believe bobs have been modified too the point where they are almost totally custom.[/b][/quote]
;) :cool:

·
Registered
178 Posts
Originally posted by STREET SWEEPAZ@Oct 19 2003, 11:26 PM
I could only get 5 turns in on my 64. I tried to install the spring at about 6 turns/13" tall but, it just was not happening.. The spring was getting stuck & the angle of the lower a-arm was just too steep to install the spring.. I cut a full turn off & it went right in without a problem & I feel that I will be losing performance... What do you guys think about the cut down spring ?? Will I lose alot of performance or will I be fine? How tall are the springs that most hoppers ( 60's Impalas-ect ) have installed ??? Thanks , BOB_T
you should post some pics of ur ride, and ur set up i got a lincoln cont. single pump ready for next year

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I do have some pics up in tha post your rides , classifieds, ect.. My Arms have been modified & the springs just barely fit in the holes .. I think that is why i had such a bitch putting them in... I need to make some more cuts to get them in there better
..I am told by the good peeps over at Sekond2None that these will work ....I will go on their word for now ...We will see if I have to Buy some different ones... I will post some more in the post you rides under --- street sweepaz c.c post......................Im outta here -- i gotta get these arms shipped out to Chris lopez down there in Fort Worth TX........If these springs dont work in the front -- I will use them for the rear end then Or ?????????

·
Registered
12,068 Posts
ive got 5 tons in my caddy coupe. Ive got about a half stack in the front i think its about 3 maybe 4 turns at the most. They work good they took about 3 weeks to break in.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts