LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well i came across a really good deal on a 95 LT1 out of a Cadillac, Since the 350 in my Deuce locked up on me. It has the computer, tranny, pretty much everything is there.
They did cut some wires so im not sure if that will screw me up later. Id like to be able to use the LT1 tranny also. I'm not very good with motor stuff so any help is greatly appreciated.

Has anyone ever installed one?

How much of a headache was it?

Would a painless wiring kit help out?

·
KICK ROCKS
14,345 Posts
I think theres a company that makes a wiring harness for these kinds of swaps, hit Skim up i think he knows, good luck with it

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think theres a company that makes a wiring harness for these kinds of swaps, hit Skim up i think he knows, good luck with it
www.currentperformance.com makes the wiring harness and also you can send them your wiring harness and save a couple bucks they are really good i used them for a lt1 in a 65 i had
Thanks for the info fellas. I'll hit them up hopefully it won't be to bad of a swap.

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Take pictures. I have a 96 LT1 that I want to put in a 64. I'm interested in seeing the outcome
Will do homie, but it will probably be in my build thread. click on the link in my signature.

·
PIMPIN'AINT DEAD
3,112 Posts
it will cost the same if not more to transplant an lt1,and a lsx motor will be waay better and easier...lt1s have all types of flaws and you will need the whole harness to get it to work right,replace all sensors with new ones and opti spark unit aswell, and change opti sensor is highly recommended or you will be replacing opti units every other month

reason why i said this is because im sure the lt1 has some miles on her and after spending money to swap it right you could of done a much better swap and guaranteed to be more reliable with a better more solid engine.the choice is yours.

tons of guys on the imp forums and down here are swapping their lt1s out because of too many issues and end up going for the ls route...money wise is hardly any difference unless your getting the lt1 for free

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
it will cost the same if not more to transplant an lt1,and a lsx motor will be waay better and easier...lt1s have all types of flaws and you will need the whole harness to get it to work right,replace all sensors with new ones and opti spark unit aswell, and change opti sensor is highly recommended or you will be replacing opti units every other month

reason why i said this is because im sure the lt1 has some miles on her and after spending money to swap it right you could of done a much better swap and guaranteed to be more reliable with a better more solid engine.the choice is yours.

tons of guys on the imp forums and down here are swapping their lt1s out because of too many issues and end up going for the ls route...money wise is hardly any difference unless your getting the lt1 for free
Thanks for the heads up homie. i did get the LT1 for almost nothing so i cant complain. The engine has 93,XXX miles on it, Do you recommend rebuilding it and change all the sensors?
The opti spark... is the the Distributor cap thing? Im not up to date with all the newer engine lingo lol

·
Major Factor
1,485 Posts
197981_133740480032960_100001910272826_215839_811370_n.jpg I put one in my 82 Coupe Deville....Not too bad of a swap ,needed reworked factory harness (ebay$125) and ECM reprogrammed($75*lt1swap.com) new in tank Fuel pump oem type for 96'SS (ebay$25) . I suggest running a off road configuration no cats,o2s,EGR,air pump all emissions controls deleted from ECM deleted 4L60e trans running 700R4 now no rev limiter no top speed limiter this one runs WFO ! Its faster than all stock SS Impalas I find on the street:biggrin:

·
Registered
31 Posts
I'm installing 96 LT1 and 4l60 into a 64 SS. Same as above, you can rework your harness or buy one from painless, reprogram ECM, in tank fuel pump, the transmission mount will need to be moved back about 3 inches, I just bought one online instead of cutting and welding.

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
View attachment 439819 I put one in my 82 Coupe Deville....Not too bad of a swap ,needed reworked factory harness (ebay$125) and ECM reprogrammed($75*lt1swap.com) new in tank Fuel pump oem type for 96'SS (ebay$25) . I suggest running a off road configuration no cats,o2s,EGR,air pump all emissions controls deleted from ECM deleted 4L60e trans running 700R4 now no rev limiter no top speed limiter this one runs WFO ! Its faster than all stock SS Impalas I find on the street:biggrin:
Thanks for the info homie. How would you eliminate the Cats,02s,EGR, and air pump? would that make the engine run different or bad? Would you have to have the computer re-programmed to run this way?

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm installing 96 LT1 and 4l60 into a 64 SS. Same as above, you can rework your harness or buy one from painless, reprogram ECM, in tank fuel pump, the transmission mount will need to be moved back about 3 inches, I just bought one online instead of cutting and welding.
Yea i wasthinking of just buying a harness from painless. do you have to reprogram the ECM?
As far as the tranny goes, did you have to change out the electric speedometer to cable?

If you get a chance snap some pics id like to see how it turns out.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Yes, the ECM has to be programmed to only run what you are going to have on your engine and transmission. Also, the VATS have to be removed. I have not figured out the speedometor yet but looking into running digital dash. i will post some pics when I start the install as my frame is off at powder coat.

·
i dont feel tardy
20,934 Posts
you should all ditch the 4l60 and run the 700r4 like suggested its the same transmission internally just manual valve body instead of electric

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
you should all ditch the 4l60 and run the 700r4 like suggested its the same transmission internally just manual valve body instead of electric
Do these Fleetwoods come with the 4l60 tranny's? i was told it was a 700r4...

·
Major Factor
1,485 Posts
Thanks for the info homie. How would you eliminate the Cats,02s,EGR, and air pump? would that make the engine run different or bad? Would you have to have the computer re-programmed to run this way?
(lt1 swap.com )will reprogram the ECM for $75 Brendan Patton will call you when your ECM is on the bench and ask what type of set up youre running and trans with full emissions control or off road/WFO ! he can delete any af the equipment you choose my ECM only controls timing ,idle,cooling fan,fuel pump....thats it..! painless is too high for my budget....you can find nice harnesses custom or reworked OEM on ebay $300-$400...

·
Major Factor
1,485 Posts
Yea i wasthinking of just buying a harness from painless. do you have to reprogram the ECM?
As far as the tranny goes, did you have to change out the electric speedometer to cable?

If you get a chance snap some pics id like to see how it turns out.
To get the speedo to read pick up a VSS unit from Dakota digital they have adapters to make it work with regular dash sweep gauges or digital...

·
i dont feel tardy
20,934 Posts
Do these Fleetwoods come with the 4l60 tranny's? i was told it was a 700r4...
that might still be a 700r on that the easiest way to tell is the plugs 700r has 1 electric plug with should be 3 wires sticking out of it for the lock up solenoid

·
Registered
4 Posts
Wassup bro im puttin a 96 lt1 in a 86 el camino so u suggest i dont run o2s cat or nothin??
QUOTE=Midwest Ridaz;15182231] View attachment 439819 I put one in my 82 Coupe Deville....Not too bad of a swap ,needed reworked factory harness (ebay$125) and ECM reprogrammed($75*lt1swap.com) new in tank Fuel pump oem type for 96'SS (ebay$25) . I suggest running a off road configuration no cats,o2s,EGR,air pump all emissions controls deleted from ECM deleted 4L60e trans running 700R4 now no rev limiter no top speed limiter this one runs WFO ! Its faster than all stock SS Impalas I find on the street:biggrin:[/QUOTE]

1 - 20 of 24 Posts