LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay I am half way through my setup of installing air cylinders on my car. I have wired almost everything and bolted in all the compressors and tanks. My question is my friend who is helping me and has done pneumatic and hydraulic work says it would be better if we could get the valves closer to the cylinders i.e. installing them in the fender wells. Although most installs I have seen had them in the trunk. Can someone give me an explanation as to what is the best way to go?

·
I Dig Chix Wit Glasses!!!
14,255 Posts
I've heard ppl say that's it's better to get the valve closer to the bag or cylinder, but then again they also say that it's better to have them closest to the tank. Either way is fine I guess. IMO, I'd plumb up the valves in the trunk or just somewhere close to the tank.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes that is what I have been thinking. Just plain easier to install and work on if installed in the trunk. But what has me wanting more info on it is that he said my system would be faster the closer the valves to the cylinders. Well I should have my lower brackets today and be able to finish my ride. I will post some when they are done. By the way I am installing this system on a 2002 cougar!

·
Registered
64 Posts
what I have heard is that having the valves closer to the tank will waste more air and time since you have to fill the line all the way from the valve to the bag/cylider everytime you pump them up....having the valves close to the bags should create more air storage because not only would you be filling the tank but you would be filling up all of your lines with air.

Just my 2 cents

·
Registered
5,569 Posts
if you are running 3/8" line and above, 3/8" valves and up, it doesn't matter if you mount them near the cylinder or near the tank. The time difference is only a fraction of a second and you won't notice it. if you are running valves and line smaller then 3/8" then mount the valves closer to the cylinders because you will notice a difference. Personally the valves on the tank is a cleaner install.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay thanks skandalouz that is more of the answer I was looking for. Telling me the difference in response time based on line size. I am running 3/8th so I guess I am good no matter where I want to locate them. Thanks

·
Registered
10,665 Posts
Im gonna say safety is a reason for this also..
valves on tank means pressure in tank only, not in line going to valve..

if you have a tank pressure line going to the wheelwell and the line gets cut for whatever reason, its gonna empty your tank out...

if you lose 1 bag, you might still be able to limp it home by raising the rest of the car up all the way...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well I was told that the lower brackets I have been waiting on did not ship until this week. EAI is kinda pissing me off. Oh well the product seems quality so far so I guess after its installed I will make my opinion. Sucks getting the kit minus a set of brackets over 2 weeks ago lol.

·
Registered
9,403 Posts
Originally posted by bigdanmcintosh@Jun 30 2003, 08:08 PM
Im gonna say safety is a reason for this also..
valves on tank means pressure in tank only, not in line going to valve..

if you have a tank pressure line going to the wheelwell and the line gets cut for whatever reason, its gonna empty your tank out...

if you lose 1 bag, you might still be able to limp it home by raising the rest of the car up all the way...
you could run ss line from the tank to a "t" fitting to the front valves

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
WooHoo. My parts were delivered today. I will be finishing up the install either today or tomorrow for sure. I will post some pics of it when I am done! Can't wait!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
so you ran hard copper tubes to your cylinders or just most of the way? Is steel braiding the air lines a good idea. I know it would look nice.

·
Registered
9,403 Posts
i use to use the copper tubing that you buy at home depot it comes in a roll i just used that from tank in my trunk to the tank under my front bumper basically i just used it to run under the car aside the frame

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well I got the brackets today and two out the four are wrong. EAI is really starting to piss me off.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Originally posted by jerryyyyyyy@Jul 4 2003, 09:52 PM
well I was told that the lower brackets I have been waiting on did not ship until this week. EAI is kinda pissing me off. Oh well the product seems quality so far so I guess after its installed I will make my opinion. Sucks getting the kit minus a set of brackets over 2 weeks ago lol.
hey jerry dont get bent out of shape your car is rare to bag and they dont ussaully stock those kits like hondas or truck im waiting on some peices and i own one of the hack shacks in AZ

·
Registered
186 Posts
Well well well.... The people on SSM and on here used to say EAI is the best.... now what people are saying is that they are turning into another AIM company sending wrong shit.... what's up??

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well you can all see how long ago I started this post. I will be finally completely done with my install this afternoon and will come back and post some pics. I only have this to say about EAI. For all the hassle they put me through 5 wrong brackets and only a simple sorry. I had to wait a total of 2 and a half months total to get all my correct parts. If you are thinking of going through EAI for your stuff make sure you go to a local area dealer. Dealing on the phone and through emails gets frustrating. But so far I am happy with the kit. I will let you all know more when I drive it home and post the pics. Wish me luck!!!!!

P.S. This will be the only 2002 Cougar Anniversary edition I know of with adjustable suspension!! I hope there isn't a reason LOL.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts