LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
first time throwing wires on my car, should i have it jacked up to tighten the knockoffs or on the ground?

thanks

·
Registered
11,597 Posts
Originally posted by LostInSanPedro@Jan 28 2010, 09:08 PM~16444271
first time throwing wires on my car, should i have it jacked up to tighten the knockoffs or on the ground?

thanks
on jacks first, then beat the shit out of them while on the ground.

·
Registered
5,016 Posts
Originally posted by LostInSanPedro@Jan 28 2010, 06:08 PM~16444271

thanks
Up on a jack with the tire touching the ground (not full weight on rim/tire) just enough to keep the wheel from spinning when your tightening the knock-off. This will allow the knock-off to fully tighten easier without the weight of the vehicle fightning (binding) the knock-off against the wheel.

·
Registered
5,016 Posts
Originally posted by Airborne@Jan 28 2010, 06:13 PM~16444322
on jacks first, then beat the shit out of them while on the ground.
:0 poor knock-off's :tears:

·
2GUNZ
28,221 Posts
Originally posted by Envious Touch@Jan 28 2010, 08:17 PM~16444363
Up on a jack with the tire touching the ground (not full weight on rim/tire) just enough to keep the wheel from spinning when your tightening the knock-off. This will allow the knock-off to fully tighten easier without the weight of the vehicle fightning (binding) the knock-off against the wheel.
TEXTBOOK ANSWER!!!!

·
2GUNZ
28,221 Posts
Originally posted by LostInSanPedro@Jan 28 2010, 08:26 PM~16444458
cool, figured as much.  my KO is about 1/6 of an inch from the rim, this sound right? or should they be flush?
WHAT TYPE OF KNOCKOFF, AND IT SHOULD BE FLUSH,THERE SHOULD BE NO ROOM

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hex, i think that sounded wrong, there's no actualy gap, but the KO has a rim, then it slants down. ive got about 1/6" of that downward slant showing between the KO and rim

·
Registered
11,597 Posts
Originally posted by Envious Touch@Jan 28 2010, 09:18 PM~16444374
:0  poor knock-off's  :tears:
Been doing that for years,

and don't forget to at the very least use grease on the threads.

·
2GUNZ
28,221 Posts
Originally posted by LostInSanPedro@Jan 28 2010, 08:42 PM~16444607
hex, i think that sounded wrong, there's no actualy gap, but the KO has a rim, then it slants down. ive got about 1/6" of that downward slant showing between the KO and rim
THE BIGGEST THING IS DO WHAT HOMIE SAID, GET IT ON TIGHT, THEN GO DRIVE, AND GET SOME STOP AND GO'S. YOUR RIMS IF THEY ARE TIGHT, WILL TIGHTENED AS YOU DRIVE

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Well everything sounds right on putting on your wheels but most important...make sure you have the RED adapters on the right and the WHITE adapters on the left. And that you have the correct knockoffs on each side, then you can slide in your wheels, lock them then spin on the knockoff by hand till its tight on there and hit it with the hammer till the knockoff don't turn no more.

·
Registered
263 Posts
im getting some zeniths pretty soon!! whats the proper way to install them?? I hear something about "tube tires" or something so air doesn't leak?? can someone explain more! thanks!

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
Originally posted by stran0020@Jan 28 2010, 06:59 PM~16444751
im getting some zeniths pretty soon!! whats the proper way to install them?? I hear something about "tube tires" or something so air doesn't leak?? can someone explain more! thanks!
sometimes older wire wheels will develop leaks in the spokes. when this happens, people will often put a tube in their tires because with a tube, it doesnt matter if theres a leak in you wires since the air is contained. however JD does a great job on the wheels, you wont need to run tubes on your tires :thumbsup: just be careful if ur wheels are painted or powder coated when installing k/os, if you miss while swinging away u are likely to take that nice finish rite off!

and to install them, look at Nicky from Envious Touch's answer above. thats the perfect way!

·
Registered
11,597 Posts
Originally posted by stran0020@Jan 28 2010, 09:59 PM~16444751
you won't need tubes in a Zenith. That and when a tube goes it's in an instant.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Originally posted by BIG DIRTY@Jan 28 2010, 09:53 PM~16444691
THE BIGGEST THING IS DO WHAT HOMIE SAID, GET IT ON TIGHT, THEN GO DRIVE, AND GET SOME STOP AND GO'S.  YOUR RIMS IF THEY ARE TIGHT, WILL TIGHTENED AS YOU DRIVE

Don't count on stop and go to tighten your wheels!?!?!?! Tighten them yourselves, don't rely on driving to tighten them

·
Registered
263 Posts
thanks for the responses tko and airbourne! im trying to learn as much as i can about wires so when my zeniths come (any week now) im not overwhelmed by all the chrome hahah :D

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
Originally posted by stran0020@Jan 28 2010, 07:51 PM~16445257
thanks for the responses tko and airbourne! im trying to learn as much as i can about wires so when my zeniths come (any week now) im not overwhelmed by all the chrome hahah :D
anytime brotha :cool:

·
2GUNZ
28,221 Posts
Originally posted by RollinX151@Jan 28 2010, 09:08 PM~16444824
Don't count on stop and go to tighten your wheels!?!?!?!  Tighten them yourselves, don't rely on  driving to tighten them
YOU MISSED THE FIRST PART OF THE CONVO. IF HE GETS THE RIMS ON THERE LIKE HOMIE SAID, HE SHOULD BE GOOD. RIMS TIGHTEN AS YOU DRIVE, I ALWAYS DO WHAT ENVIOUS SAYS TO THE LETTER, AND IF I AM PUTTING ON RIMS, I ALWAYS PUT THE CAR IN ASS FIRST SO MY FIRST MOVEMEN IS FOREWARD, DRIVE AROUND THE CORNER, STOP AND GO, THEN COME BACK, JACK IT AGAIN, AND CHECK FOR TIGHTNESS. BEEN DOING THAT SINCE LIKE 91 WHEN I GOT MY FIRST SET OF KNOCKOFFS. BEFORE THAT, BOLT ON'S...... :cheesy:

·
Registered
695 Posts
super important thing here is to make shure your lug nuts are on tight also. I had found out the hard way a long ass time ago - when installing the adapter to the fronts - there is nothing stoping the rim from spinning to allow propper torque force to tighten the front adapters on.

I ended up cutting a block of 2x4 tall enough to rest a lug nut on at 3 o clock position - to kind of chock up the front hub from spinning - and kept rotating it to diffrent lug nuts to get them all properly tightened.

but first go about it - I had my lug nuts come loose on the front before I came up with above mentioned method - the wheel started wobbling goin down a side street about a mile away from the house. I caught it before it did damage to the threads or fell off completely - but the knock off was on good and tight - it was the improper tightning of the front lug nuts that caused this on me.

so just givin ya a heads up man.
roll safely :)

1 - 20 of 43 Posts