LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
IM SAYIN SO I CAN MAKE THE TANK FLUSH WITH NO GROVES SO I CAN PAINT AND STRIP IT NICE MAYBE A MURAL? DO YOU THINK THE FUMES OR ANYTHING WILL FUCK IT UP?

·
Registered
6,840 Posts
WHAT KIND OF CAR?------------PUT IT THIS WAY----WHEN PEOPLE HAVE CHROME GAS TANKS MOST OF THE TIME THEY ACTUALLY GET ANOTHER GAS TANK----CUT THE TOP OFF AND THEN CHROME IT---THAT WAY THEY JUST SCREW OR RIVET IT OVER THE OG GAS TANK AND IT LOOKS LIKE IT IS CHROMED----SO YOU COULD DO THE SAME THING BUT THIS WAY YOU CAN WELD THE GROOVES AND MAKE THEM FLUSH----HAVE IT PAINTED AND STRIPPED OR MURALED ETC----PEACE

·
Banned
1,572 Posts
Originally posted by lowriderlife@Sep 15 2003, 07:57 PM
WHAT KIND OF CAR?------------PUT IT THIS WAY----WHEN PEOPLE HAVE CHROME GAS TANKS MOST OF THE TIME THEY ACTUALLY GET ANOTHER GAS TANK----CUT THE TOP OFF AND THEN CHROME IT---THAT WAY THEY JUST SCREW OR RIVET IT OVER THE OG GAS TANK AND IT LOOKS LIKE IT IS CHROMED----SO YOU COULD DO THE SAME THING BUT THIS WAY YOU CAN WELD THE GROOVES AND MAKE THEM FLUSH----HAVE IT PAINTED AND STRIPPED OR MURALED ETC----PEACE
I would take the gas out of the tank before welding it too ;) :biggrin: :biggrin:

·
Registered
8,700 Posts
Originally posted by 1980seville+Sep 15 2003, 02:04 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (1980seville @ Sep 15 2003, 02:04 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--lowriderlife@Sep 15 2003, 07:57 PM
I would take the gas out of the tank before welding it too ;) :biggrin: :biggrin:[/b][/quote]
I would make sure the tank is full and has a sealed gas cap on it before you weld it. Taking into consideration that your tank has no leaks.

·
Registered
6,840 Posts
Originally posted by 1980seville+Sep 15 2003, 01:04 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (1980seville @ Sep 15 2003, 01:04 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--lowriderlife@Sep 15 2003, 07:57 PM
I would take the gas out of the tank before welding it too ;) :biggrin: :biggrin:[/b][/quote]
IF YOU ARE CUTTING THE TOP OFF THE TANK OBVIOUSLY ALL THE GAS IS GOING TO COME OUT IF IT HAD ANY TO BEGIN W/ RIGHT........... :uh: ---MAKE SURE YOU EMPTY IT BEFORE CUTTING IT THOUGH IF YOU ARE USING A USED ONE-----SPARKS CAN IGNITE THE GAS TOO--BUT FUMES ARE MORE DANGEROUS THEN THE LIQUID ITSELF---LATES

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
*** Yes they are !!!! Try kicking a 1/4 filled can of gas !!! BIG FIRE BALL & FIRE ON THE SHOES!!!!!

·
Registered
7,362 Posts
fiberglass it or use Metal to Metal made by Kitty Hair Products....good fillers and won't crack on you...might as welll do it once right the 1st time,.....

·
Premium Member
18,358 Posts
This is how i would do it:

Make a cardboard template of the side of the tank you want to make flat.... go to a sheet matal shop and have it cut out of 16 gauge steel.... make sure the gas tank doesnt have gas fumes in it (be 100% sure).... tac-weld the flat metal all the way around... grind the weld smooth, then use a very thin layer of good quality filler (Evercoat Rage Gold) to mold the seam.

Easy to do, and it will last.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts