LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my 91 caddy fleetwood has 229.000 miles on it........ and when i got it, the 'service engine light' would come on when i would go around like 50mph. i knew that it just came on cause it has so many miles and stuff.... but now it comes on when i go 30 or so.... is that telling me that my engine is going to go soon?

and also, my car is really hard to shift from park at some times. i have to wiggle the shifter to get it to move. but the transmission is really smooth while i drive. whats up with that ?

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
the service engine light is almost never anything serious . as long as its still getting good compression and oil pressure its still good. the timing chain may break if its the original one though ,buts thats minor [$200 to 400]. And the tranny problem is the shift linkage.

·
Registered
880 Posts
i wouldnt just ignore the service engine light. Take it to someone who has a diagnostic scanner and have them bring up the codes for you so you can find the problem. Hold on cant you bring up the codes on the caddis on the heater or something cant you bring the the codes.

·
Registered
34,352 Posts
when you have trouble shifting out of park is your car parked on a hill??? the engine light has been on my Impala since i got it 4 yrs ago and there's nothing wrong with it til this day. but get it scanned just in case there is something wrong with it.

·
Registered
15,195 Posts
Originally posted by jeSSe96@Aug 22 2003, 04:50 PM
when you have trouble shifting out of park is your car parked on a hill??? the engine light has been on my Impala since i got it 4 yrs ago and there's nothing wrong with it til this day. but get it scanned just in case there is something wrong with it.
youd fail inspection in nj based on that little light :(

just yes - because im an asshole

·
Registered
6,115 Posts
Probably just a sensor or two

·
Registered
107 Posts
Check Engine lights doesn't mean the engine is crapping out. Just means the senors are or that something needs changed. Air filter, oil, mass air sensor, ect. I good sign of the the engine shitting out on you is sputtering, dying, loss of power, knocking and grinding noises. For the most part you can run the car as long as you like with the light on. But, if your that worried about it just have the thing checked out by diagnostics connector, which was suggest by the other people.

·
Banned
1,572 Posts
As for the tranny, yeah it could be the linkage, but when you park, before you put the car in Park do you set the parking break, I know a tonne of people with Automatics that don;t its hard on the transmission after a while to pull the parking pin out, it gets harder and harder for it to come out, spring where etc can be to blame, but set the parking brake good before you put it in park and you shouldn't have a problem as much.

·
Registered
918 Posts
In my 86 Monte Carlo the Service Engine light comes on after driving for long periods of time and I had the car checked out no problems with the car so i don't really sweat it no more :cool: ;)

·
Banned
1,572 Posts
Originally posted by PCLoLo@Aug 25 2003, 07:40 AM
In my 86 Monte Carlo the Service Engine light comes on after driving for long periods of time and I had the car checked out no problems with the car so i don't really sweat it no more :cool: ;)
take the guage cluster off and break the light, my friend put LED's in his prelude so the brake light was always on in the dash so we just broke the in dash lamp, easy as that.

·
Registered
64 Posts
When the check engine light is on it means something is wrong. It could be something minor like a short or bad ground or something. But it could be a sensor and if it is that means even though the engine runs good and sounds there is something not working right and it could affect the overall performance of the engine. Fuel mileage , etc.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts