LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
Originally posted by dig_derange@Nov 29 2003, 04:58 PM
say, that part looks pretty damn good for being just paint, I'm always trying to foil everything, but I might have to try that. I haven't even tried messing with those paints since like way back...
yeah it does look pretty good. i know its not the same as chrome but i put that up there for the guys on here that can't afford the real thing or alclad or who just plain dont want the hastle of the other methods.

always trying to help out around here ;)

·
Registered
21,387 Posts
Caswell INC. sells the necassary stuff to plate your plastic. Here are the basic steps involved.

1.Make the part conductive with a conductive spray paint. (must use air brush)

Attach a copper wire to the item, to conduct the electric current.

Shake the canister vigorously for at least two minutes. Pour the liquid into the spray gun (air brush etc) and check for copper sediment in the original container and if present, remix the solution until all copper sediment is suspended in the solution. You may add up to 5% acetone or lacquer thinner to aid spraying with an air-brush.

Spray a light mist coat onto the part, and allow to dry for at least 5 minutes (@ 68°F min).

Spray a second heavier coat, at about 12" from the object, ensuring you spray up to and over the copper plating wire.

Allow to dry for at least 15 minutes.

Copper Plate the part @ 1 volt for approx 30 minutes, then increase to 1.5 - 2 volts for whatever time you require. Parts will plate @ approx. 1/1000" per hour.

Once plated with copper you may polish lightly, then nickel and/or gold plate.

The smallest copper plating system is $105.(1.5Gallon)
Conductive Spray Paint is $25
The smallest chrome plating system is $495(1.5Gallon)

So unless you plan on making a business out of it, or are just stinking rich, it doesn't sound like a smart finacial move.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Originally posted by The Mad Modeler+Nov 29 2003, 04:48 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (The Mad Modeler @ Nov 29 2003, 04:48 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--caprice on dubz@Nov 29 2003, 02:26 PM
the kind they sell at walmart
Rust-Oleum "Bright Coat" Premium Metallic Finish Chrome # 7718
From Walmart
over Tamiya Semi-Gloss Black.............

[/b][/quote]
thanks guys i got to try this tomorrow so i can finish my impala to move onto an s10

1 - 7 of 7 Posts