LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I GOT A 87 CALAIS AND I WANT JUICE BAD BUT I HEARD YOU CANT HOP IN FWD CARS. HELP ME! IM ABOUT TO LOOSE MY COOL. AND I DONT WANNA BUY A NEW CAR

·
Registered
10,737 Posts
i wouldnt hop a fwd car..you can hop one but you better be prepared to spend alot of cash to fix it when you rip it to pieces

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Actually you CAN hop a FWD but it's definitely unadviseable. One reason is the fact that you can only get about 6" of lift on the front of a FWD. Anything more than that and you risk the chance of pulling the axle-shafts right out of the transmission. But the main reason is that the weakest link in hopping a FWD car would be the upper strut mount. This mount is typically just body sheet metal. It may last a few times but pretty soon you're gonna have a cylinder piston sticking out of the hood.
So if you absolutely HAVE to hop the Calais, first limit your lift height then seriously strengthen you upper strut mount. Then you can claim one of the few to hop FWDs.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Originally posted by Kenny13z3@Nov 29 2003, 07:44 AM
dont FWD cars have parshal frames? meaning insted of frame bend, body bend?
Yes, they are unibody vehicles and the only thing they have underneath that could be considered structural strength is the subframes front & rear, which don't connect together.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts