LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am gonna juice my 86 Acura Legend, and i have no idea what i need to do. it has a coil over setup in the front, should be much like a honda's, i havn't compared it to anything, but it also has the upper control WAY UP TOP like 3 inches below the fender, and that puzzles me, i will attach an image of it, all i have right now is a picture with the wheel on it, i can take the wheel off and get another picture later if someone needs it, but i need to know how to configure the suspension, everything else i can handle, but i want to do it WITHOUT using accumulators, i want to retain the factory springs, or use mini coils, but i'm not a huge fan of accumulators as the suspension. i have a 4 pump Red's setup with everything i need to make it work, except certain brackets i may need, and i'm using regular cylinders, i don't have any reverse flow
if any one could help i'd greatly apprciate it!!! PLEASE HELP!!

front suspension pics

rear suspension pics

·
I Dig Chix Wit Glasses!!!
14,255 Posts
O

·
0 Posts
pm my homie edmunds costoms hyd, knows knows quite abit about liftin fwd cars!!! ;)

Last edited by Equipped Customs at Jan 3 2004, 12:19 PM

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone, but i'm still puzzled, none of the pictures really look like mine, with the wishbone thing at the bottom, and i'm afraid the upper control arm will bust through the hood ya know
Equiped, i pm your boy Edmungds, appreciate the hook up man

ok i think i'm gonna have to do the cylinder upside down right?? yeah for sure, but my car doesn't have the strut thing at the top that you see through the hood, iono what to do without that to take out lke the pictures???

·
Registered
677 Posts
It doesn't matter if the setups look 100% like yours.
They will work since they are all based on the same principle for a Mac style strut

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah i can pretty much relate everything, but can i just mount the cylinder upside down and have the same effect as if it were mounted normally?

and i've heard people mention the cylinder turning when the wheels turn? how does that work?

·
Registered
6,612 Posts
The suspension you have is not the type that rotates with the steering. yours is one of the easiest to install. I preffer the ProHopper reverse flows. The only thing is. The top mounting bracket needs to be modified to allow a slight pivot as the car raises and lowers. Edmund does a cool thing with a modified powerball welded to the mounting plate. CCE sells a pivoting upper mount. I can fabricate a pivoting mount.

O

·
0 Posts
Originally posted by SERIOUSHYDROS@Jan 3 2004, 08:37 PM
The suspension you have is not the type that rotates with the steering. yours is one of the easiest to install. I preffer the ProHopper reverse flows. The only thing is. The top mounting bracket needs to be modified to allow a slight pivot as the car raises and lowers. Edmund does a cool thing with a modified powerball welded to the mounting plate. CCE sells a pivoting upper mount. I can fabricate a pivoting mount.
you know my boy edmund? who might you be?

Im Jon :biggrin:

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
so all in all i'm building an upside down coil over setup,...with the cylinder hanging from the car and mounted to the suspension, so when the car hits a bump, the force goes down the ram and into the spring, instead of from the frame directly into the spring??? make any sense?? hell i just confused myself, anyone make any sense of that??

the cylinders i have are drilled already for old skool bolt and bracket mount to a rear end, side to side motion instead of powerball...can they still be used

anyone got a close up picture of it actually installed on a car??? or know where i can find one???

·
Registered
343 Posts
dude your making this shit to hard for yourself, i'm aware you know that for the front suspension you keep the wishbone, well you get a minicup bolted it into the cylinder shaft, then bolt the minicup into the wishbone, you might be wondering how do you do that?? well theres a bolt on the side on the wishbone like a clamp that tightens stuff and untighten it well, in order to get the strut loose from wishbone you gotta untighten that clamp... then just slide the minicup already bolted into the cylinder shaft into the miicup and tighten that clamp..........now add a donut on cylinder collar so that the spring don't come out so let it sit on the donut. then make your strut plate and you should be good to go, but wwhat the hell is that a mac strut in the rear????

ummm i'm assuming you don't have any trouble removing the strut without removing the upper a-arms????

look like the strut is attached to the a-arm not sure

·
Registered
3,576 Posts
Originally posted by lolo4life@Jan 4 2004, 08:18 AM
dude your making this shit to hard for yourself, i'm aware you know that for the front suspension you keep the wishbone, well you get a minicup bolted it into the cylinder shaft, then bolt the minicup into the wishbone, you might be wondering how do you do that?? well theres a bolt on the side on the wishbone like a clamp that tightens stuff and untighten it well, in order to get the strut loose from wishbone you gotta untighten that clamp... then just slide the minicup already bolted into the cylinder shaft into the miicup and tighten that clamp..........now add a donut on cylinder collar so that the spring don't come out so let it sit on the donut. then make your strut plate and you should be good to go, but wwhat the hell is that a mac strut in the rear????

ummm i'm assuming you don't have any trouble removing the strut without removing the upper a-arms????

look like the strut is attached to the a-arm not sure
yea that is one of the first ways of doing , but also you take the chance of dinging the hood, your clearnce is a little tight, as the springs break in , the cyl-- will go higher up into the hood, A fast pump or a hard dip in the road can send the cylinder and fittings up into hood. ive done them the regular way and the rev-- way , the regular is the best , but its all up to the owner if he dont mine having his hood not fitting / closing the same. I felt bad when a guys car i did started doing that , and had a nice candy paint. so we did it the rev-- way and that took care of that , but in the other hand i did a civic the reg-- way , and he hopped the shit on all the others, but dink the f--k out of his hood ;) The rev-- way is a little more constrution , but its an other way.

the owner didnt want the showball conversion, but the wish bone does swivle, so it shouldnt bind up.

Last edited by edmunds costoms hyd at Jan 4 2004, 10:28 AM

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
LOL thanks Lolo4life,...thats actually what i needed was someone to say "DAMNIT IT'S EASIER THEN YOU THINK!!" appreciate it,....ok i'm starting to really pic up on it,....

ok,...next question...with the cylinder hanging upside down like that, when the spring crunches that will make the cylinder slide inside the wishbone right? will that not hit the axle? my axle runs through the wishbone (as may others i'm not sure) but it seems if the cylinder slides inside that wishbone mini cup, it runs a chance of hitting the axle.??? or am i just talking outta my ass, you guys are the Pro's

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
oh i just thought of something.......if it helps with anything,...

thos pictures were taken of the passenger side of the car, the a-arm is further back then the coil

if that helps anyone iono

Last edited by Schimel750 at Jan 4 2004, 01:15 PM

·
Registered
343 Posts
hey schimel you got AIM?????

Naw dude the iwsbone don't sit on the axle it acutally sits on the lower control arm, the wishbone has a long bolt i believe 17mm or 14mm that goes from one leg of the wishbone into the lower control arm, out the other control arm hole into the other wishbone leg... i can help you on aim if you would like....

Also no once the minicup is bolted to the cylidner shaft and wishbone, nothing moves beside the upper casing that goes up and down

·
Registered
6,612 Posts
Originally posted by Equipped Customs+Jan 4 2004, 05:01 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Equipped Customs @ Jan 4 2004, 05:01 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--SERIOUSHYDROS@Jan 3 2004, 08:37 PM

Im Jon :biggrin:[/b][/quote]
No dont know him. Just seen some of his work at local shows, and on here. The power ball thing is cool just needs to be refined a little. Maybe i'll get to meet you guys next season. I should have my cutlass done around april or march. I'm John by the way :biggrin:

Last edited by SERIOUSHYDROS at Jan 4 2004, 10:15 PM

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i may be gettin a 91 model Celica to juice instead, pending the suspension is the right kind, we'll find out tomorrow,...any one got pics of a juiced Celica i can check out?? or know anything about juicing one?

·
Registered
677 Posts
Same old stuff.....you can put hydraulics on anything.
You just have to do slight differences in the setup for each one.

There is no such thing really as "The Right kind of suspension"

O

·
0 Posts
Originally posted by SERIOUSHYDROS+Jan 4 2004, 07:12 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (SERIOUSHYDROS @ Jan 4 2004, 07:12 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by -Equipped [email protected] 4 2004, 05:01 AM
<!--QuoteBegin--SERIOUSHYDROS
@Jan 3 2004, 08:37 PM

Im Jon :biggrin:
No dont know him. Just seen some of his work at local shows, and on here. The power ball thing is cool just needs to be refined a little. Maybe i'll get to meet you guys next season. I should have my cutlass done around april or march. I'm John by the way :biggrin:[/b][/quote]
yeah, im all the way out here in the middle (nebraska), but ill be making it out ther soon! im gonna hit the shows hard this year, so we'll have to try and met up! nice to meet you johh ;)

·
Registered
343 Posts
Originally posted by Schimel750@Jan 5 2004, 01:19 AM
i may be gettin a 91 model Celica to juice instead, pending the suspension is the right kind, we'll find out tomorrow,...any one got pics of a juiced Celica i can check out?? or know anything about juicing one?
tell you this now it has mac struts and its gonna be harder........

1 - 20 of 22 Posts