LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever juiced their t-bird, I have a 94 bird and was interested in juicin it, I have thought about bagg'n it, but I am old school. I perfer hydos than bags and air cylinders, however I am having a hard time finding info. I see euro set up that may apply, what I need assistance on is the front strut, what size cylinder will I need and what kind of backet will I need fab? Any suggestion on the set up? I would like a nice ride for an everyday driver. Thank you.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
My '89 Cougar was juiced. The rear is simple... cylinders popping up through the trunk. Unless you want to fabricate a strut/cylinder to replace the rear shocks.
The front of mine was really easy because the strut (in that year) didn't turn with the steering. I have an LHS now that does, but to be honest, it's almost as easy. (I think the '94 'Bird is the same way.) Use your existing strut, cut the shock out of it, weld on a donut and do a couple of reinforcing welds, then drop the cylinder right in. (Yeah it will be upside-down with the hose coming out of the bottom of the strut. Don't worry about it the cylinder doesn't mind.:) ) Replace your upper strut mount with at least 1/4" plate and you're all set. :)

·
Registered
534 Posts
i have a strut assembly for a Tbird.. its out of an 89. I bought a hydraulic setup from a friend that had it. They are sitting in a box somewhere if you are interested.

I also have a friend with a 90 Tbird thats for sale if your interested.. 2 Pump CCE painted a nice metallic bue and cleared... 4 battery setup (2 banks of 2)

·
Registered
4,551 Posts
[email protected] will say theres a better way for struts but feel free to click my signature for a way thats worked for me in a strut suspension for over 9 years....

One thig is that you need to install stroke limitors to limit your stoke travel from ripping apart your original struts...

Just cut off your spring purch and you will be able to mantain your steering pivot and have front shocks.. If you choose, you can drill out your struts and have no shocks yet still pivot for steering...

check it out anyway for an idea...
your car, your choice on suspension,
theres more than enough ideas in this forum that work...

J/P [email protected] :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

·
Registered
819 Posts
On your volvo what is the cylinder travel? 6" or maybe 8"?

That is an excellent tip for struts. However, the only thing I would be worried about is the strenght of the piece where you are mounting that powerball.

Later
TC

·
Registered
6,749 Posts
just got off work :biggrin: Let me get a few beers in me and I will put down some ideas. Volv-lo, you ideas are cool, I was just saying there is one way that I can't believe no else has ever thought. I guess it's so ridiculously simple, it is hard to actually conceive thought.

Anyway, unless you are gonna use straight cylinder and accums, my ideas are useless for the t-bird :biggrin: :cool:

·
Registered
4,551 Posts
to tell you the truth I don't have the power ball in my set up, but it would work fine..

I have a u bracket with a hyme joint... (same shit)

It depends on the car but if the metal looks thin, just add some support... :biggrin:

8" with a stroke limitor, so its actually 7 1/4" stroke ;)
before the stroke limitor I ripped off three top rubber strut mounts...

bring out the ideas low, thats what were here for... lol,, drink up man... :biggrin:

The very first thing that was done was replacing the actual shock in the strut, but two problems I had were, I busted the top cap with the seals and had to machine a new one...
2nd was the rod got bent because I was turning hard and had the cylinder extanded to far...

So thats when my dad and I came up with the picture in my sig....

Most after market strut replacements are longer than original, so if you get some take 'em out the box and get the longest.. When slammed by car is 1.5" from the front cross member, can't go lower unless I put on smaller rims.. I have 15" with 55 series rubber..

It kinda works out good becasue if I'm driving and you dump it on a straight road you can still cruise... :cool:

·
Registered
12,920 Posts
there is a way to juice the front of birds with out even using the old struts at all.......basically ya gotta do some fabrication but it can be done....i'll try to get some pics of an install done on an 89 super coupe..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts