LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when you change the oil on your ride, make sure that the old filter gasket IS NOT still stuck to the engine!!

bad and ugly things happen if it is still there, and you install the new filter on top of it. :( :(

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
and apply a coat of new oil to the seal of the filter too. I even go as far as to put as much of the quart of oil in the filter before I put it on. That way it already has some fresh oil in it at start up.

·
Registered
10,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yep, I do the same thing, its amazing how much oil a filter will absorb..

if you dont do it, the engine will starve for oil for a minute untill the pump moves enough to fill the filter up, and thats not good for your engine..

·
Registered
306 Posts
I work at a quick lube shop and ive had oil-filter seals stick to the block 3 times. each time it was with a fram filter (we always uses valvoline). This is probably due to a shop that didn't oil up their filters before installing, which is very important that you do! Luckily I caught the filter-seals each time, so that i didnt have 5 quarts of oil all over the shop floor.

·
Registered
25,983 Posts
Originally posted by cad92brougham@Aug 13 2003, 12:01 AM
I work at a quick lube shop and ive had oil-filter seals stick to the block 3 times. each time it was with a fram filter (we always uses valvoline). This is probably due to a shop that didn't oil up their filters before installing, which is very important that you do! Luckily I caught the filter-seals each time, so that i didnt have 5 quarts of oil all over the shop floor.
Always a fram that does it :angry:

·
Registered
5,569 Posts
Originally posted by bigdanmcintosh@Aug 13 2003, 10:33 AM
it was a fram.. but I know it was lubed because I put it on myself..
don't use oil, give the seal a wipe with some white grease, then put the filter on! I personally have never had a problem and have changed hundreds of filters. And on another note. if you don't have a gasket on your drain plug, go to gm and get one of the new style copper/neoprene drain plug gaskets and put it on. its cheap insurance!

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
Originally posted by skandalouz+Aug 13 2003, 07:32 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (skandalouz @ Aug 13 2003, 07:32 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--bigdanmcintosh@Aug 13 2003, 10:33 AM
if you don't have a gasket on your drain plug, go to gm and get one of the new style copper/neoprene drain plug gaskets and put it on. its cheap insurance![/b][/quote]
i dont have a drain plug anymore, that was the lowest part of my car :0 now its even with the cross member
im gonna have to weld a nut to it so i can change my oil

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Originally posted by milkweed+Aug 13 2003, 09:51 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (milkweed @ Aug 13 2003, 09:51 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by [email protected] 13 2003, 07:32 PM
<!--QuoteBegin--bigdanmcintosh
@Aug 13 2003, 10:33 AM

if you don't have a gasket on your drain plug, go to gm and get one of the new style copper/neoprene drain plug gaskets and put it on. its cheap insurance!
i dont have a drain plug anymore, that was the lowest part of my car :0 now its even with the cross member
im gonna have to weld a nut to it so i can change my oil[/b][/quote]
good god man :uh:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts