LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All!

Quick history, I had this car (85 monte) for about 14 years (since highschool, 1st car) with stock suspension, stock engine, stock interior, had a custom stereo system, and of course some 13" 100 spoke all chrome wires.......

Ok so after 14 years I sold her... 2 years later she pops up in a local classified ad, I had to get her back!! She'z now back in my garage but, with a slight difference :biggrin: Pics below............

So I now have a ton of Question's.

Ok so what I DO know is 2 pump, 4 battery, Prohopper setup.
10'' rear cylinders, 8" fronts. 8 switches.? (i think)

#1. So far from what I can tell, the car sometimes lifts un-evenly? left higher than right or vise versa....? why is this?

#2 When I lock it up, It leaks down on 1 side, after a few mins.....? (not sure if it leaks down every time)

#3 Driver rear wheel area good sized puddle of fluid on garage floor.
(need to check fittings? or could cylinder leak from somewhere other than where the line hooks up?) hoses appear to be dry and ok...

#4 After a week now, batterys dead??? had to move the car out so, I got in locked it up Front and back, moved it out of garage then layed it out in the driveway, hile we worked on my brothers stereo in the garage. So when we get done the MC has to go back into the garage, so I hit switch for the front and just got a fast click... same for the back after it lifted just a bit.....
Best way to charge batterys, what charger? how to wire them for charging??

Sorry for such a noob post. Just cant wait to get her back on the streets!!! Thank you all in advance for any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
My first suggestion. Purchase the book the science of hydraulic suspension. It will answer all of your questions you posted and is a great reference tool.

Why does it lift uneven. Could be air in the lines. Need to be bled.

The puddle of fluid is not a good thing. Most likely if the fittings are clean and hoses the cylinders seals are shot on that corner. Lock it up. Place a jack stand under it for saftey. Go under the car and see if fluid is leaking down the cylinder shaft.

The clicking means your batterys are dead. Do not play with it you will fry solenoids.

To charge them you have a few options. You can charge them all at once if you have a multi charger I assume you do not. So in that case unhook all battery connections. Use your picture as a referenec as to how it goes back together. Then use an automotive battery charger and charge them one by one at a slow charge rate maybe 2 amps. That way you will get a good charge on each battery.

First thing to do order the book then read it cover to cover twice. Best money you will ever spend. Will teach you everything from battery charging. Even how to replace those leaky cylinder seals.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
thats how I got my first cutlass, Bought it for 300 bucks and It had a Nice and sloppy setup in it with ALL kindA leaks and battery trouble..

There was no layitlow then, So I read books .

Found the local car club, got clowned on real bad at first.

But before you knew it after reading hydraulic systems hard covers

And cleaning up my setup.

I sold the car for 1000 bucks .

Bought another one and started a clean install

Car club guys were now looking to me to help

Gotta start somewhere right?

You will find some good help on here.

go buy that book too it's awesome

·
Registered
8,414 Posts
the batteries are probably just no good. poorly maintained,old,etc.

charge them all up one at a time, and see if they hold a charge. test each one with a volt meter before and after using them.

Lifting uneven can be from anything,from a-arm bushings, plumbing issues/debri,wreck damage to chassis.

·
18,723 Posts
the GOOD news is it looks like a decent setup. They took the time to make the battery cables look good. Nice rack. Nice slowdowns. Nice dumps. Nice battery hold down. It could be ALOOOOOT worse ;)

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you all for your replies and suggestions. I will deffinatley look into getting the book and do some reading.

The car isn't in too bad of shape and i had contemplated on trying to get it as close to stock as I could, but I do kinda like the switchez and I think based on what I found on this site so far I'm very encouraged to overcome these minor troubles and make it a complete stout setup.

Thank you all once again! I'm sure I'll think of more. ;)

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Can we see the car?

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
Originally posted by CSC85MC@Feb 14 2010, 03:20 AM~16607052
Hello All!

Quick history, I had this car (85 monte) for about 14 years (since highschool, 1st car) with stock suspension, stock engine, stock interior, had a custom stereo system, and of course some 13" 100 spoke all chrome wires.......

Ok so after 14 years I sold her... 2 years later she pops up in a local classified ad, I had to get her back!! She'z now back in my garage but, with a slight difference  :biggrin:  Pics below............
10'' rear cylinders, 8" fronts.           8 switches.? (i think)

#1. So far from what I can tell, the car sometimes lifts un-evenly? left higher than right or vise versa....? why is this?

#2 When I lock it up, It leaks down on 1 side, after a few mins.....? (not sure if it leaks down every time)

(need to check fittings? or could cylinder leak from somewhere other than where the line hooks up?) hoses appear to be dry and ok...

#4 After a week now, batterys dead??? had to move the car out so, I got in locked it up Front and back, moved it out of garage then layed it out in the driveway, hile we worked on my brothers stereo in the garage. So when we get done the MC has to go back into the garage, so I hit switch for the front and just got a fast click... same for the back after it lifted just a bit.....
Sorry for such a noob post. Just cant wait to get her back on the streets!!! Thank you all in advance for any help is greatly appreciated.
best thing to do-charge each battery one at a time-could have a bad one in there and you can find it by charging them seperate at first-if they are good go with the schumaker charger-second check springs,sometimes an uneven lift means uneven cut springs,but if your cylinders are leaking that bad it could just be blowing oil out of one side causing same effect-i would get new cylinders-looks like yours are chrome,those are crappy street cylinders that are prone to leakin within wekks of install-go with some black comp cylinders or fat cylinders-the cylinders leak out of the bottom because the orings on the piston went bad-you can take em apart and re ring em but its pointless :yessad:

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Originally posted by NastyRedz@Feb 14 2010, 12:20 PM~16609712
Can we see the car?
Sure, I got a few pics from when she was mine orignally, toward the bottom.

Here's a couple recent ones.

***update***
If I do in fact need to replace my cylinders, which it looks as though I do. How tough of a job is it?

How do you bleed the air out of the system?

Been searching here and getting mixed results about which fluid to top off with?

Once again guys you are a great help and all is appreciated!! :biggrin:

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
OMG that car is beautiful. Thats why you must shed tears to sell it in the first place.

Read up and youll straighten that mess right out, as far as the hydros I mean.

Just looks like a rushed install

on some decent stuff

I'm damn sure you can clean that setup right up .

Love the car and the color

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Here's a S#itty video of the car.

Sorry took vid with a Bberry.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Damn that shit is sexy. I'd keep it my daily for years. I'd reinforce the chassis a bit to keep the body in check ;)

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Originally posted by NastyRedz@Feb 14 2010, 07:30 PM~16612543
Damn that shit is sexy.  I'd get so many bitches around here  with that

Ha HA THANK YOU Homie!!

Ya man I love this car, and had to have it back reguardless of what had been done!!

·
Registered
16,329 Posts
Originally posted by CSC85MC@Feb 14 2010, 08:13 PM~16612392

***update***
If I do in fact need to replace my cylinders, which it looks as though I do. How tough of a job is it?

Been searching here and getting mixed results about which fluid to top off with?

Are you the one that goes down Palmer Park Blvd. in the mornings w/ the front locked up and the back dumped out... This car looks hella familiar!!!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Originally posted by CSC85MC@Feb 14 2010, 08:13 PM~16612392

***update***

Nice Monte i hope you get all the issues worked out to get it rollin smoothly again. :cool:

·
Registered
5,202 Posts
Originally posted by CSC85MC@Feb 14 2010, 07:29 PM~16612534
Here's a S#itty video of the car.

Sorry took vid with a Bberry.

After watching this vid here is my advice
I would crank the front slow downs a few turns seems like it drops way to fast for a 2 pump/4bat. lay & play set up.

Also seems like when you were hitting switches your tires were squeeking more than normal your sapose to put it in Netural never leave it in Park while you hitting switches

·
" RO LiL DaN "
1,881 Posts
Originally posted by CSC85MC@Feb 14 2010, 01:20 AM~16607052
Hello All!

Ok so after 14 years I sold her... 2 years later she pops up in a local classified ad, I had to get her back!! She'z now back in my garage but, with a slight difference  :biggrin:  Pics below............

So I now have a ton of Question's.

10'' rear cylinders, 8" fronts.          8 switches.? (i think)

No wonder the homeboy sold it. Glad u have your ride back. It's all about maintance and take care of one thing at a time. You will get back on the streets in no time. Usually after juicing a ride you gotta work out the bugs and break a few things and you learn from your mistakes for the next time. Good luck :_

·
Registered
695 Posts
im a relative newcomer to hydraulics on the car my self.
and I have the same setup as you do, 4 battery / 2 pump / 4 dump setup.

one of my rear cylinders would leak down like yours does.
what it needed was a new o ring kit for it.

here is the kit from cce - its just the rubber o rings that need replaced unless the cylinders them selves are hugely gouged and messed up on the inner surface - but you can look at that yourself to determine when you got it apart to change the o rings.

this is basicly an exploded diagram of the parts of the cylinder and you can see how they can come apart from this picture to change the seals yourself.

its not terribly hard to do. but its messy so have a empty quart of oil bottle with a hole cut in it to put your hydraulic line in to when you un hook it from the cylinder - and have some rags / kitty litter handy also to clean up your hydraulic oil mess when doing it. its basicly un avoidable to take the cylinders out with out a little oil gettin around.

I charge my batterys in pairs. I hook up each pair of batterys + to + and - to - and charge each pair with a $50 schumacher charger I got from walmart.
I put them on the 10 amp setting usualy so each battery sees 5 amps.
but ocasionaly I charge each battery individualy at 2 amp setting.
I like the little schumacher chargers from walmart as they will automaticly switch over to trickle charge once the battery has reached full charge. - so no worry there of overcharging the battery and doing bad stuff.

my batterys that came in the car when I got it were super bad.
the previous owner never ever checked the water levels in the batterys and all of them were low on fluid level so much that I could look down the fill plug holes and see bare lead blocks sticking up. - after filling the batterys up with good distiled water - they did a little bit better at holding a charge - but not for long.

after I purchaced 4 new deka batterys with 1110ca/925cca specs - it was a total night and day diffrence. batterys hold a charge for a week now vs charging every single night to barely make it thru half a days ride on the old batterys.

good luck with the car. it looks realley good.
here is a pic of my trunk.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts