LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hear you can Tac weld them or use Set Screws to hold them in. Any advice on how to do this?.....PICS please if possible. Thanx in advance.

My axle slid out the other night after i installed my hydro set up. :angry:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,582 Posts
the 64 will be sweet switched up :biggrin:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
49,409 Posts
Yes, just get a tacoma or 9" rear end.......
 

·
Member # 1,077
Joined
·
22,645 Posts
gotta get a wishbone, its the panhard bar pushing it to the side isnt it? im no expert..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally posted by 1 LO 64@Nov 6 2007, 03:22 PM~9169002
Yes, just get a tacoma or 9" rear end.......
Tacoma ???? Any particular year???
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,367 Posts
Originally posted by IMPALA JOHN@Nov 6 2007, 03:28 PM~9169047
Tacoma ???? Any particular year???

94-98 tacoma, but if the the actual axle itself, sliding out of the housing, you need to put new axle seals, thats common on an o.g. impala
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,431 Posts
Yeah, I think he's talking about the actual axle coming out. You can put a set screw in it or tack weld. There's other topics on it if you search around, sorry I can't help you too much.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally posted by OGJordan@Nov 6 2007, 03:41 PM~9169145
Yeah, I think he's talking about the actual axle coming out.  You can put a set screw in it or tack weld.  There's other topics on it if you search around, sorry I can't help you too much.
So if i get a Ford 9" or Tacoma Rear End, The axle's won't slid out of them???
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
TTT

Any more advice or pics??????
 

·
Face Puncher
Joined
·
25,975 Posts
Originally posted by IMPALA JOHN@Nov 6 2007, 08:10 PM~9169748
TTT

Any more advice or pics??????
no pics...but

slide the axle back out. use a sharp ass #21 cobalt bit and drill through the sleeve that is pressed on behind the bearing (towards the splined end as opposed to the hub end).
drill all the way through the sleeve, and slightly into the actual axle shaft. blow the hole out with some air, and then oil up a 10-24 tap and slowly tap some threads into the hole. blow the hole out with air again. then get yourself a 10-24 X 3/8 cone style set screw and some red threadlocker, and thread the setscrew in tight.

do it for the other side as well, although it does seem like the drivers side does it more frequently for some reason.

hope that helps
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
47,193 Posts
Originally posted by Tuna_Sammich@Nov 6 2007, 05:18 PM~9169818
no pics...but

slide the axle back out.  use a sharp ass #21 cobalt bit and drill through the sleeve that is pressed on behind the bearing (towards the splined end as opposed to the hub end).
drill all the way through the sleeve, and slightly into the actual axle shaft.  blow the hole out with some air, and then oil up a 10-24 tap and slowly tap some threads into the hole.  blow the hole out with air again.  then get yourself a 10-24 X 3/8 cone style set screw and some red threadlocker, and thread the setscrew in tight.

do it for the other side as well, although it does seem like the drivers side does it more frequently for some reason.

hope that helps
that wont work
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Originally posted by KadillakKing@Nov 6 2007, 05:19 PM~9169824
SHoulda built a caddy instead.. :biggrin:
Key word......"Built". ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,392 Posts
a screw would only get rid of the sliding out problem those axles are also known for breakin better to get a ford 9" or a tacoma rearend
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Originally posted by 3whlcmry@Nov 6 2007, 05:37 PM~9169914
a screw would only get rid of the sliding out problem those axles are also known for breakin better to get a ford 9" or a tacoma rearend
Will the axles slide out on those??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,831 Posts
Originally posted by IMPALA JOHN@Nov 6 2007, 08:39 PM~9169927
Will the axles slide out on those??

ey why dont u ask dan.. maybe he had the same problem... or mexican mark... just a suggeston.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
What year Ford 9" Rear End Should i look for?
 

·
Face Puncher
Joined
·
25,975 Posts
Originally posted by lone star@Nov 6 2007, 08:20 PM~9169836
that wont work
dont you pay people do do the work on your cars?
 
1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Top