LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im pretty familiar with the basic stereo stuff and im now starting to get my stuff ready for competitions. i just bought 2 15" L7's from a guy off ebay and i have an amp, but my thing now is my box. do yall have any suggestions for my as far as size, what to tune the box, ect....i have a 4runner so size isnt too much of an obstacle

·
Registered
304 Posts
12 cubic feet tuned to 30 hertz, subsonic filter set to 25 hertz. Make sure you can supply power, those subs require it.

·
2GUNZ
28,221 Posts
Originally posted by beatbox@Sep 9 2003, 12:40 AM
12 cubic feet tuned to 30 hertz, subsonic filter set to 25 hertz. Make sure you can supply power, those subs require it.
What are you talking about 12 cubic feet. Do you honestly know how big twelve cubic feet is.

Hey man Kicker recommends a 1.5-3.0 cuft box for the subs. You can get away with alot of things with these speakers because they play in either a Sealed or Bandpass configurations. It all depends on what you want out of them. In a pathfinder, I would say go sealed and stuff the shit out of the box with polyfill, you will get good tight bass, and I say that loosely because a 15" Sub wants to do its own thing. If you wanna go with a ported box, I would go around 37hz, that will allow you some room with you subs rolloff below the ported Frequency. But I personally like sealed enclosure, but again you will have problems here unless you do a wrap around enclosure and face the subs towards the back of the trunk lid. If you go ported just stick with a standard ported box with the Subs and Ports facing up.

Last edited by dirtywhiteboy66 at Sep 9 2003, 06:51 AM

·
Registered
807 Posts
Originally posted by dirtywhiteboy66+Sep 9 2003, 04:50 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (dirtywhiteboy66 @ Sep 9 2003, 04:50 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--beatbox@Sep 9 2003, 12:40 AM
What are you talking about 12 cubic feet. Do you honestly know how big twelve cubic feet is.

[/b][/quote]
12 cubes is not big for these at all. Have you ever modeled them up? It takes 6 cubes + per woofer SEALED to get a .707 qtc. Ported boxes need to be even bigger to get a decent reponse curve. I've daid it before and I'll say it again, these are LARGE BOX WOOFERS.

·
2GUNZ
28,221 Posts
Originally posted by JeremyD+Sep 9 2003, 08:36 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (JeremyD @ Sep 9 2003, 08:36 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by [email protected] 9 2003, 04:50 AM
<!--QuoteBegin--beatbox
@Sep 9 2003, 12:40 AM

12 cubes is not big for these at all. Have you ever modeled them up? It takes 6 cubes + per woofer SEALED to get a .707 qtc. Ported boxes need to be even bigger to get a decent reponse curve. I've daid it before and I'll say it again, these are LARGE BOX WOOFERS.[/b][/quote]
Man are you guys nuking this. What else are you gonna put anywhere with a 12 cubic foot box. I have seen all these piles of crap these guys are building, and posting on this site like it is hot and shit. I haven't designed a box in about a year, but I wouldn't be bragging on half the boxes that I have seen on hear. The term excess and error has escaped alot of people on here. Come on you can not say that these subs need 6 cuft of air space, that is just stupid. Maybe something molded, but how are you gonna determine the air space with pressuring the compartment to determine exact area. I just don't know about this forum some times. You guys are giving out bad info. 12 cuft box, gimme a break, in a pathfinder. OOOOOAAAAKKKKKYYYYY.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Take a look at kicker's tech papers. The very manual says 6 cubic feet per woofer for optimum performance, but hey, feel free to pit your word against the guys down in Stillwater..

·
2GUNZ
28,221 Posts
The concept of what I was talking about was not that the sub will play in a 6 cuft box. My concept was that a 12 cuft box was too fucking big to put into a pathfinder. One it would be stupid to do that, and two you would lose all space back there unless you were creating a speaker wall. Lastly those specs that you are refering to a not specs provided for optimum play in an average car, that is on some test lab in Oklahoma. You put a 12 cuft box in a car you better have a VAN or some other huge area that you can put a very large box.

·
Team Sundown Audio
90 Posts
Do your self a favor, either purchase the box from ebay or go to a Kicker dealer and have them build you one. I own to Audiobahn 18" subs that are in a ported enclosure and they don't have a 12 cubic foot box. :biggrin:

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Originally posted by 4dr64impala@Sep 10 2003, 04:12 AM
purchase the box from ebay
thats the worst thing you can do.

1) it's big, so you pay a lot of shipping
2) they're made in bulk... usually they don't design them or anything

·
Registered
807 Posts
Originally posted by Stealth+Sep 10 2003, 02:33 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Stealth @ Sep 10 2003, 02:33 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--4dr64impala@Sep 10 2003, 04:12 AM
purchase  the box from ebay
thats the worst thing you can do.

1) it's big, so you pay a lot of shipping
2) they're made in bulk... usually they don't design them or anything[/b][/quote]
add to that poor construction quality and a host of other ba dhtings...

·
Registered
1 Posts
ok the manual does say that u need 6 cubic feet for the full efect right. but it doesnt tell u that if u use all 6 feet of air space while building a box that your speakers are more likley to blow. u only use 2.5 to 3.5 feet of air space with 2 L7 12 in speacker and it will rock your world

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Originally posted by smithmodified@Nov 7 2005, 10:41 PM~4159907
ok the manual does say that u need 6 cubic feet for the full efect right. but it doesnt tell u that if u use all 6 feet of air space while building a box that your speakers are more likley to blow. u only use 2.5 to 3.5 feet of air space with 2 L7 12 in speacker and it will rock your world

woah there bro, check the date on this thread....you're a month late...lol

·
Registered
274 Posts
Hey man my boy had the exact same shit and he had a ported box built to the exact specs. he had a MTX 1501d amp pushing it in a GMC Jimmy that shit hit so fuckin hard you couldn't take a breath for nothin when the bass hit. It was fuckin nuts. I can get you the measurements if you want.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts