LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner
21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
3,994 Posts
Damn....hope a lot of the old bikes come back....just like this one....it's especially nice that you were able to get back the pink version.....

·
Registered
8,475 Posts
they most of painted over the clear coat...

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
The pics look better than it really is. I wipe down the bike with a damp rag so it looks shiny. It's dull because I have only hit it with 220 and 400 grit paper. Once the bike is stripped then I'll hit it with 1500-12,000 grit emery cloth. Then clear.

·
Zip it cunt!
27,116 Posts
You can clear over the 400 if you want, I would wetsand with 800 and clear over it like that. If you go to fine you're going to be having adhesion problems. I've never even heard of 12,000 grit, 1500 is way too fine to clear over.

·
"FLEET" GT SINCE '08
2,490 Posts
Sand it with 800 and 3 coats of clear should be enough!

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Cool.Thanks for the info. You're right. Too fine of grit would have adhesion problems.Yea.I got 1500-12,000 grit cloth that is used for polishing military jet canopies.I'm going to mix some HOK and see if its possible to match the colors. If so I would like to blend in the bad areas.

·
"FLEET" GT SINCE '08
2,490 Posts
Or maybe add similar patterns to the damage area would help a lot too

·
Registered
9,614 Posts
Damn! That's freaky! Like a hidden painting! Good job Joh!

After purchasing Latin Active, I didn't know what to do with it. I didn't want to redo it other then restore it but because of tight time and financial resources, I had to put it aside. Last night I walked into my garage, and realized I was sick of seeing it in that (no offense to whoever painted it) blue/black paint scheme. I walked out, grabbed my keys, headed to Auto-Zone, and bought lots of 220 sandpaper. Five hours later (about 1:30am) I got this much done. Once all the blue/black paint is off, I'm going to start hitting it with 1000-12,000 grit emery cloth and clear it. Maybe even touch up where the previous painted sanded through the original paint. Fortunately, when it was repainted cheap or no primer was used. Except where some minor bodywork was done. I'm thinking of taking it to the Torres Empire show just for exhibition. We'll see.

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
Dam it was bad ass back in the day I remember that bike from back in the day me in Greg went to the same Jr high FREMONT MIDDLE IN POMONA CA WE USE TO HAVE SOME BAD ASS SHOW THERE ELITE would COME AND TRAFFIC MAN THOSE WERE THE DAYS

·
Registered
9,614 Posts
I love this tricycle from the moment I saw it on MTV back in 1993 with guys from Passion bicycle Club. To me it's still the best looking tricycle out there with the back sitting in an angle and the popping colors.
Can't wait to see it in person, hopefully later on this year. Keep up the good work Joh!:thumbsup:

I based my miniature RC tricycle on Latin Active II tricycle and it will get the same color scheme. On the rear where originally the rear lights are at I added a color bar.

http://jevriesblog.com/index/jevries-is-back-with-a-rc-miniature-lowrider-tricycle-

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
I agree Jevs! Its been a dream of mine to own it since I first saw it in the early 90s. I love the lines of the bike. Especially the way the back angles down. It reminds me of those coach built cars from the lates 20s-30s.
And yes. We hope to see you and your wife again this year. You'll definitley see it in person. Maybe I'll have it rolling by then. All it needs is chanins and handle bars. If that's the case then you can take it for a ride up and down the street.
And as for your rc trike, that thing is priceless. So much ingenuity behind it. It does remind one of Latin Active. Same type of mods. Nice work!

·
Registered
8,507 Posts
I agree Jevs! Its been a dream of mine to own it since I first saw it in the early 90s. I love the lines of the bike. Especially the way the back angles down. It reminds me of those coach built cars from the lates 20s-30s.
And yes. We hope to see you and your wife again this year. You'll definitley see it in person. Maybe I'll have it rolling by then. All it needs is chanins and handle bars. If that's the case then you can take it for a ride up and down the street.
And as for your rc trike, that thing is priceless. So much ingenuity behind it. It does remind one of Latin Active. Same type of mods. Nice work!

i got a set of bars in my garage that may be very close to what was originally on that bike.
let me go look.

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Wow! This is amazing for me to see. I thought this trike was dead and gone. Its great to see it back and owned by someone who appreciates it for what it is! I'm gonna look for some more build pics that I got from my uncles to post up. Cant wait to to see it all restored. I remember riding in the back with Greg in the Pomona Xmas Parade when I was a little kid. Damn I'm excited to see this!

21 - 40 of 49 Posts