LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am building a nissan pickup dancer.. and i am wondering if i could leave the leafs on because u dont need alot of travel to hop... what are some suggestions

Last edited by nissanminitrucker at Oct 22 2003, 09:22 AM

·
Premium Member
5,323 Posts
Originally posted by nissanminitrucker@Oct 22 2003, 08:32 AM
even if there is no weight on them....
you are going to have a lot of weight on the rear end... the entire set-up is usually in the rear.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
I think the point VEGASHOPPER is trying to get across is pretty straight forward...

Ditch the leafs and go four link.

Leafs are fine for normal use, but they will not give you the same range of movement a 4 link will.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally posted by vwlownslo@Oct 22 2003, 09:43 AM

Leafs are fine for normal use, but they will not give you the same range of movement a 4 link will.
I think the point VEGASHOPPER is trying to get across is pretty straight forward...

what did you mean by this.?????

·
Premium Member
5,323 Posts
Originally posted by vwlownslo@Oct 22 2003, 08:43 AM

exactly!!!! four link is the only way to go...

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
What I meant was, he is suggesting the use of a 4 link... thats all...

·
Premium Member
5,323 Posts
the leaf springs go through a lot of movement and tend to break. Plus if you use to few leaves, the axle wraps and hinders the performance, if you use too many, then the suspension won't have enough movement. If you want to build a reliable, competitive suspension for a truck dancer, four link is the ONLY way.

·
Premium Member
5,323 Posts
It has to be triangulated correctly or you will get too much side to side shifting. If you use a panhard bar, it makes the rear hop crooked. Ron's truck, "VOODOO" has a four link in it and it has incredible amounts of travel. The amount of travel is soley up to you and how long of a cylinder you want to run. I wouldn't run anything smaller than a 14" cylinder in it.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Originally posted by vegashopper+Oct 22 2003, 10:00 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (vegashopper @ Oct 22 2003, 10:00 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--nissanminitrucker@Oct 22 2003, 08:57 AM
hyme joints?
"magic" balls...[/b][/quote]
noo...... to mound the trailing arms..

·
Premium Member
5,323 Posts
Originally posted by nissanminitrucker@Oct 22 2003, 09:01 AM
ok.. just triangulate it to where it donsnt ''shift'' side to side...what about twisting?
well, a properly designed 4 link will prevent "axle wrap" or twisting, so that shouldn't be an issue.

·
Premium Member
5,323 Posts
Originally posted by nissanminitrucker+Oct 22 2003, 09:01 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (nissanminitrucker @ Oct 22 2003, 09:01 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by [email protected] 22 2003, 10:00 AM
<!--QuoteBegin--nissanminitrucker
@Oct 22 2003, 08:57 AM
hyme joints?

"magic" balls...
noo...... to mound the trailing arms..[/b][/quote]
yes..... hyme joints. but they need to be good size and strength.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts