LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking at a mazda truck that had juice on the back to buy and play wid some... but heres the problem aka question.. this dude has 20in cylinders on the back, he CUT his leaf spring right behind the axle turning them into a 2 link pretty much.. is this safe ?? or would you buy it if you were me... give me some opinions please

·
Registered
525 Posts
I have seen that done with minimal problems. Most on here will tell you to go that way if you dont want to put in a 4 link. As long as it has a panhard ber on it also.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I did that on my old mitsu.wasntthat good of an idea .Rear end sways hard,not to mention the arch of the springs so the rear didnt go in the notch anymore

but yea id buy it ,put a 4 link on it and ride out--as long as the price is right

·
Registered
8,700 Posts
Originally posted by SLAMinIT@Jan 10 2004, 06:40 PM
I did that on my old mitsu.wasntthat good of an idea .Rear end sways hard,not to mention the arch of the springs so the rear didnt go in the notch anymore

but yea id buy it ,put a 4 link on it and ride out--as long as the price is right
Even with a pan hard bar it swayed???

·
Registered
265 Posts
no pan hard dont like em,the pull your axle side to side when u lift and drop it,anyway it is just a show truck never goes in the street,unless where fuckin around

Jason

·
Registered
265 Posts
no pan hard, just a show truck

·
Registered
8,700 Posts
Originally posted by SLAMinIT@Jan 10 2004, 06:53 PM
no pan hard dont like em,the pull your axle side to side when u lift and drop it,anyway it is just a show truck never goes in the street,unless where fuckin around

Jason
Well thats why it swayed all over the place.

And I agree the pan hard bars do pull your rear end over some, but it sure beats riding with out one.

For all you guys that are thinking about cutting your leafs off behind the axle....

The best way to go is to 4- link it or another similar method. But if you do decide that you want to take the cheap way out and cut the leafs, make sure you install a panhard bar.

Just cutting the leafs behind the axle and rolling with out a panhard bar IS NOT SAFE.

Last edited by ALOW1 at Jan 10 2004, 07:01 PM

·
Registered
265 Posts
Originally posted by ALOW1+Jan 10 2004, 07:58 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (ALOW1 @ Jan 10 2004, 07:58 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--SLAMinIT@Jan 10 2004, 06:53 PM

Jason
Well thats why it swayed all over the place.

And I agree the pan hard bars do pull your rear end over some, but it sure beats riding with out one.

For all you guys that are thinking about cutting your leafs off behind the axle....

The best way to go is to 4- link it or another similar method. But if you do decide that you want to take the cheap way out and cut the leafs, make sure you install a panhard bar.

Just cutting the leafs behind the axle and rolling with out a panhard bar IS NOT SAFE.[/b][/quote]
VERY WELL SAID,only reason I did it was I didnt drive it.

and like he said dont cut em then drive down the road u'll fuck something up and regrett it!!! not safe at all

Ride Safe People

Jason

·
Registered
12,351 Posts
All you need to do is weld the springs to the axle and add some triangulated trailing arms...

Here's a diagram I made to show you what I mean...

·
Registered
282 Posts
Hey Naughty, is'nt what your talking about basically a 4 link? I mean is'nt that the same way a 4 link is set up? If that was done would it work the same, and would it be safe/stable? If so I might try that on my Mazda. I know I could just go out and buy a 4 link like everyone says, but I am a cheap bastard and will take the least expensive way out in some cases, and when I look at that diagram you have I see a rough 4 link, so why go out and spend 200-300 on a 4 link when that can be done. How is the ride with juice using that diagram there?

·
Registered
282 Posts
Oh yeah, how long would the trailing arms have to be?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Originally posted by 3rdCoast_Kobra@Jan 11 2004, 03:26 AM
Hey Naughty, is'nt what your talking about basically a 4 link? I mean is'nt that the same way a 4 link is set up? If that was done would it work the same, and would it be safe/stable? If so I might try that on my Mazda. I know I could just go out and buy a 4 link like everyone says, but I am a cheap bastard and will take the least expensive way out in some cases, and when I look at that diagram you have I see a rough 4 link, so why go out and spend 200-300 on a 4 link when that can be done. How is the ride with juice using that diagram there?
yea man it is.. if you cut your leaf and added the 2 middle bars you just saved yourself 300 easy.... you are looking at like 50 to make your bars yourself... and with the bars in the middle your axle shouldnt move.. i'm with you i'm cheap too... plus i'm lazy haha

·
Registered
7,083 Posts
Originally posted by Juiccy@Jan 10 2004, 09:36 PM
I was looking at a mazda truck that had juice on the back to buy and play wid some... but heres the problem aka question.. this dude has 20in cylinders on the back, he CUT his leaf spring right behind the axle turning them into a 2 link pretty much.. is this safe ?? or would you buy it if you were me... give me some opinions please
i cant belive people really do that...
build a REAL 4-link instead!

·
Registered
7,083 Posts
Originally posted by Juiccy@Jan 12 2004, 05:26 PM
you can make a real 4 link for under 75 bucks if you can weld yourself..even if you cant, you aint looking at much more..very easy

by the way, thanks everyone for all the input on this thread
yeah and besides from that i would'nt even consider to have a cut off leaf spring type of total ass setup!!!

·
Registered
4,391 Posts
When you cut the leaf springs off behind the axle. Should there be a couple inches of leaf left behind the axle, and can the leafs pull out and away from the axles, since the back half isnt there?

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
im going to take my back leaves in my f150 in the next cup of days but im going to keep like 2 left.. is that safe , cuzz im driveing to FL to get one pump instaled in the back..would it be safe to drive from NC to FL with it droped like that??and when i get a pump in the back, would i need like all my leave springs back in there??LMK cuzz im going in march ;)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts