LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a 79 silverado with the leaf spring rear, of course. and i was wondering what is the best way to juice it.........should i put the cylinders on the leaf spring or should i build somthing else to hold the cylinders, like a four link of somthing?

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
are u suposed to put some type of coil in between the bottom mount and the cylinder or does the cylinder just mount directly to the mount

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
get some c-channel...weld small peices to the axle..get power balls..weld those to the c-channel...and use a coil over set-up...then run a triangulated 4 link rear suspension :cool:

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Originally posted by jumper@Aug 17 2006, 01:27 PM~5987777
I got a 79 silverado with the leaf spring rear, of course. and i was wondering what is the best way to juice it.........should i put the cylinders on the leaf spring or should i build somthing else to hold the cylinders, like a four link of somthing?
I wouldn't use leafs personally, 4 links have become so cheap it's almost retarded not to use them. Plus, leafs with hydraulics put a ridiculous amount of stress on your frame, especially if you notch it. For your truck I would do either a parrallel or triangulated 4 link, and mount the cylinders to the axle with some powerballs. Build yourself a nice bridge to locate the cylinders and hold your springs (if you run them). If you keep the leafs, mount the cylinders over the axle still, and don't run cylinders that are too long.

·
Registered
7,749 Posts
Originally posted by jumper@Aug 17 2006, 01:29 PM~5988283
are u suposed to put some type of coil in between the bottom mount and the cylinder or does the cylinder just mount directly to the mount
if you want! you can ethier go with these: http://www.catalog.prohopper.com/product_i...&products_id=58 or do what i am doing go to the junck yard and get some front springs of a old honda

·
Registered
945 Posts
take all ur leafs out but the main one then what i used wuz like a leaf spring perch that sat flush on my diff welded that up wit the power ball on then get a piece of 8"c channel atleast 1/4" thick and weld that to ur frame rails used reg coils and basicaly cut em in half easiest way should take u no more then 3-4 hours

i also notched mine so it sat under the box mounts all i got in my box is 2 cylinders coming threw not an ugly bridge also this way u wont be able to lay out as low as if u four linked it but it'll save u sum coin and time

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Originally posted by ceebo@Aug 18 2006, 04:01 PM~5996096
take all ur leafs out but the main one then what i used wuz like a leaf spring perch that sat flush on my diff welded that up wit the power ball on then get a piece of 8"c channel atleast 1/4" thick and weld that to ur frame rails used reg coils and basicaly cut em in half easiest way should take u no more then 3-4 hours

i also notched mine so it sat under the box mounts all i got in my box is 2 cylinders coming threw not an ugly bridge also this way u wont be able to lay out as low as if u four linked it but it'll save u sum coin and time

u got any pics?

·
Registered
6,015 Posts
I like to do a mount on the outside of the frame and mount to the leaf springs that way the cylinders dont stick up through the bed. 87-89 front accord coils work good for a smooth ride.

·
over it
6,640 Posts
I wouldn't use leafs personally, 4 links have become so cheap it's almost retarded not to use them. Plus, leafs with hydraulics put a ridiculous amount of stress on your frame, especially if you notch it. For your truck I would do either a parrallel or triangulated 4 link, and mount the cylinders to the axle with some powerballs. Build yourself a nice bridge to locate the cylinders and hold your springs (if you run them). If you keep the leafs, mount the cylinders over the axle still, and don't run cylinders that are too long.

X2. I did a set up on an old Fury years ago and the kid put longer cylinders in it after I finished. He was trying to lift the car and it buckled the 1/4 panels bad enough to pop the back doors open. Just remember that as you lift higher your leaf spring gets shorter (end to end) and starts to pull the frame down, this is the "stress" he's refering to. You may be able to get some offroad style spring shackles that allow for more lift out of your leafs.

·
Registered
8,414 Posts
yeah if your riding mini coils on mono leafes, you can get more lift by swapping shackles, it gives your leaves more distance to bend and doesnt change the ride height because your coils are in the same place.

DuezPaid mention putting mounts on the outside? On an S-10 you can do it, but on my truck, you would have to have a bracket hanging out several inches to the side to clear the bed. (the bed floor overhangs the rame rail alot)

I got my shit under tha bed, I mounted a plate on the bottom of my U-bolts and it runs forward to another u-bolt on to the leaf sping and my cylinder fits right between the leaf and the frame. No room for side to side movment and the lower mounts hang down lower than the pumkin in order than have enough room up top for the cylinder to travel before hittin the bed.

the next year or 2 I will be redoing it. putting in a real notch, a bridge and the cylinder mounted possibly upside down to the axle. gotta find a triangulated 4-link for my truck, it seems like the way to go.

·
Registered
8,414 Posts
Originally posted by TAIB@Aug 20 2006, 11:15 AM~6004777
OR LIKE THAT BRING THE LEAF UP
http://www.ichibanhydraulics.com/truck1.html

those trucks come with the leafs up top...

every normal person runs theres on the bottom so they can actually get low... like anyone actually cares about ride height anymore.

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
here is how i did mine on a blazer. kind of low budget, but i've been riding it like this for 6 months. I'm about to change it over to bridge/ c-channel/ powerballs with 2 ton precut in the rear, maybe even a chain bridge after i reinforce the frame. the minicoils ride like @$$.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts