LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
18,283 Posts
Originally posted by ricardo408@Mar 9 2010, 12:10 PM~16839789
i have a 1995 deville and it started leaking coolant from under the car... havent been able to trace the leak...ok so how do i know its not a blown head gasket??? i heard to fix those it get expensive :eek:hno: any help wold be appreciated!!!
Check your oil for coolant and your water for oil. You need to find the leak.

·
18,283 Posts
Originally posted by ricardo408@Mar 9 2010, 05:10 PM~16842786
yeah  i know i got to find the source... but its dam hard to get underneath.... no oil in coolant or water...

WHATS A FROST PLUG???
Is your car smoking?

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
dam i just took it to the mechanic.... sadest thing i heard in my life.... i have to change the hole engine, the engine has to many miles on it so it just gave up on me....... i went to the cadillac dealer to get a quote for a new engine and its 5500 + 3000 of labor + watever else the car is missing... anybody knows were else i can get a new engine? its a northstar ANY HELP APRECIATED

·
Banned
1,153 Posts
Originally posted by ricardo408@Mar 11 2010, 02:48 AM~16857941
dam i just took it to the mechanic.... sadest thing i heard in my life.... i have to change the hole engine, the engine has to many miles on it so it just gave up on me....... i went to the cadillac dealer to get a quote for a new engine and its 5500 + 3000 of labor + watever else the car is missing... anybody knows were else i can get a new engine? its a northstar ANY HELP APRECIATED
Fuck that man where was the coolant leaking from? If hes saying you need a whole new motor then its something huge..But if its just a fitting or a hose and hes saying you might as well throw a new motor in because it has way too many miles on it to justify putting money into, then hes bullshittin.

Northstars last awhile man they are one of the better engines out there. Id rather throw a couple hundred into it than 8gs anyday

·
SPELL CHECK
21,743 Posts
Buy some fluorescent coolant dye from an auto parts store. Add it to the coolant and run the car. Shine a UV light around the engine until you see the glow. Leak found. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
269 Posts
Originally posted by ricardo408@Mar 11 2010, 01:48 AM~16857941
if your engine is still running then thats bullshit. try the dye test and dont drive the car so much right now, cause if it is a head gasket and it blows. you could get coolant into your block and fuck up all the crankshaft bearings.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks for the heelp guys... but when we fisrt bought the car after a couple of days we noticed that the miles wont go up... and i checked the carfax and its said it had 4 years with that problem... so i dont know how many miles really the car has. and the engine still turns right on drives smooth, oil seems good, radiator too, and naw i dont drive this car.. just on weekends for less than 10 miles.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
well that hose right there... the mechanic used some tempeture thing and it said it was overheated and after that he just told me that i needed a new engine... thats it.

the leak is coming somewhere from down there.... right in the middle of the pic...

·
Banned
1,153 Posts
Take off the air intake and get down there and poke around. If still nothing take homeboyz advice and do the dye. And dont go back to that mechanic

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
your head bolts backed off because you have an aluminum engine and the pressure blew out the heater core.thats your leak .you do need a new engine sadly :( ive already been through this and had to let my baby go.its a huge problem with northstars from that era.the fix is about 2gs there is a thing called a threadsert,not a helicoil,its different the kit cost 400 and you have to pull the motor to tap the block as you cant reach the back heads 14-1500 labor to pull and replace engine after repair is fair

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
your head bolts backed off because you have an aluminum engine and the pressure blew out the heater core.thats your leak .you do need a new engine sadly  ive already been through this and had to let my baby go.its a huge problem with northstars from that era.the fix is about 2gs there is a thing called a threadsert,not a helicoil,its different the kit cost 400 and you have to pull the motor to tap the block as you cant reach the back heads 14-1500 labor to pull and replace engine after repair is fair
are you serious man??? how sure are you man i dont want to see this caddy go homie... :uh:

·
Registered
378 Posts
if the leak is comming from the area on the last pic, then it most likely is the water pump, or the cross over. cross over is basically the water pump housing. need to remove air cleaner and everything in the way in that area that does not hold water. then try to see if you can find a pressure tester, and pump the filler up to 15psi and wait. common problem and not too hard to fix. good luck :biggrin:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts