LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hay what's up ? I have a set of 17" 100 spoke daytons and two of them are leaking. I was told by discount tire that the I need to seal the rim the vogue was not leaking, so how do I go about doing this, and can I do it myself?
thanks

·
Registered
6,749 Posts
are you the original owner? Did you send in your warranty slips when you received the wheels? How long have you had them? IF you are the original owner you should call Dayton up or talk to the company you bought them from for warranty fixes. Depending on certain things, Dayton voids there warranty for several stupid acts of misconduct

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
Did Discount tire mark the areas where the rims were leaking. If not and if the tires are still on the rim, air the wheel up and mark around which spokes are leaking. Then have the tires taken off. Seal the area on the inside of the wheel where the wheel was leaking with silicone sealant. Let dry for at least 24 hours. Remount tires and away you go. I've had two sets of real Daytons that leaked. Welcome to the club..

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No discount tire did not mark it. Just pump up the rim and mark it where air is leaking at? Now on the other one, one of my vouges had a blow out on the highway. I go not have the tire. on that one would you recomend just putting the sealant all over the rim on the inside?
Thanks...I can get silicone sealant from home depot or lowes? and just spread on the inside where the leak is?
Thanks..I knew that there had to be another way. Discount tire was trying to get over by saying no you need new rims, and they could not fix it?
Thanks

Last edited by boogiedown27 at Dec 5 2003, 07:16 AM

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
Sounds like you have the right idea. Just try to find a silicone sealant that is somewhat heat resistant.

·
Registered
6,221 Posts
Originally posted by boogiedown27@Dec 5 2003, 08:10 PM
So is there a certain way to apply the silicone to the wheel? I know that I will have to let it set 24 hrs?
just run a nice thick bead and smooth it out with a putty knife or body filler wipe and let it dry,,,,question, did you or the previous owner put fix-a-flat in the tire?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
no ...I know that when my one rim went flat on me...i tried to put fix a flat in one tire but at that point the tire just came off of the rim and I figured that since there was a small puddle sitting in the tire that I can just pour the fix a flat out and save the vogue? Or is it ruined? the other tire there was no fix a flat used.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
TRY USING WINDOW URETHANE .... AVAILABLE AT ANY AUTO BODY SUPPLY STORE ... IT TAKES ABOUT 24 HOURS TO DRY BUT USUALLY WORKS THE BEST ..... TRY AND SCUFF UP THE SILICONE AROUND WHERE THE SPOKE IS LEAKING FROM SO THE URETHANE STICKS BETTER ...

http://www.andale.com/gallery?cid=13713172

:cool: :biggrin:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just plain soap and water? and then like you said just run a nice thick bead and smooth it out with a putty knife or body filler wipe and let it dry? how thick to spread it on?
thanks alot for looking out!

·
Registered
6,787 Posts
Originally posted by AWSOM69@Dec 5 2003, 07:08 AM
Did Discount tire mark the areas where the rims were leaking. If not and if the tires are still on the rim, air the wheel up and mark around which spokes are leaking. Then have the tires taken off. Seal the area on the inside of the wheel where the wheel was leaking with silicone sealant. Let dry for at least 24 hours. Remount tires and away you go. I've had two sets of real Daytons that leaked. Welcome to the club..
this seems to be a pretty big club we got here,,,,i also have owned two different sets of leaky daytons

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Originally posted by SQUEAKYG@Dec 5 2003, 10:04 PM
TRY USING WINDOW URETHANE .... AVAILABLE AT ANY AUTO BODY SUPPLY STORE ... IT TAKES ABOUT 24 HOURS TO DRY BUT USUALLY WORKS THE BEST ..... TRY AND SCUFF UP THE SILICONE AROUND WHERE THE SPOKE IS LEAKING FROM SO THE URETHANE STICKS BETTER ...

http://www.andale.com/gallery?cid=13713172

:cool: :biggrin:
I will do the same thing. apply it on thick, and smooth it out w/ a putty knife?

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
MOST OF THE TIME THE SILICONE IS CUT ON THE WHEEL WHEN THE TIRES ARE MOUNTED OR DISMOUNTED ..... MOST TIRE GUYS LIKE TO PUT THE DAMN TIRE IRON IN TOO FAR AND IT CUTS THE SILICONE AND THEN YOU FIND OUT 1-3 DAYS LATER WHEN YOUR TIRE IS FLAT ... :angry: ;) :0

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
so you agree with using window urethane? I am assuming that both are applied in the same manner? I need to get my shoes back on so I can start back riding her by monday..

1 - 16 of 16 Posts