LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an almost brand new 600CFM Edelbrock Carburetor (#1400) at the moment. I bought it a while ago because i thought it could replace my current carburetor, but the Edelbrock is spreadbore, and my stock carb is squarebore. That posed a bit of a problem, so instead of replacing the carburetors, or using an adadptor, i just rebuilt the stock squarebore carb that was in the Cadillac. Well in this thread (http://www.layitlow.com/forums/index.php?&act=ST&f=2&t=88397) i said that i would be retiring my car for a few years, while i'm in college, and i'd be driving a little import (good gas mileage) to and from college... in my spare time i'd be working on the cadillac (it needs quite a bit of work to be "mint"). Anyway, instead of selling the Edelbrock, which i've been trying to do, should i rather keep it, and put it on my cadillac during the car's "rest" period (the next 2 years or so)? What would i need to do that? A new intake manifold, right? And where can i get one that will fit my 1980 Cadillac, 368c.i. 6.0L Engine? Is an intake manifold all i'll need? Is it pretty simple? (i.e. can i do it myself without any professional tools). Is it a good idea? The engine runs at the moment, but it takes a lot of time to warm up, and the engine doesn't have as much power as it used to, so while i wasn't going to mess with the engine too much, i was going to just put headers on, replace the plugs, remove parts and clean them and then replace them, etc.

Would this all be a good idea? What do you think I should do?

Also, to leave a car sitting for about 2 years, what do i need to do to ensure no damage to the engine? Something for rust i'm sure, right? I was just going to drain all the fluids. Is there anything else I should do too though?

Also, what is a "throttle body"? Is it like how a car runs? Like carbureted, fuel injected, etc.?

Thanks a lot for the help
Regards
~Lorenzo

·
Registered
6,115 Posts
I'm not sure why but the last three caddys I let sit for a long period of time (couple years) wouldn't shift into any gear after sitting that long. They shifted fine when I parked them, had plenty of fluid etc.

I would like to know what caused this, is there a diaphram or something that dries out ??

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Originally posted by 2drWood@Jan 5 2004, 06:18 PM
I'm not sure why but the last three caddys I let sit for a long period of time (couple years) wouldn't shift into any gear after sitting that long. They shifted fine when I parked them, had plenty of fluid etc.

I would like to know what caused this, is there a diaphram or something that dries out ??
probably the vacume canister on the tranny. its hooked into intake manifold vacum via a vacum line. i know that if the line comes undone it won't shift, but if the diaphram was to crack i think your car would suck tranny fluid into the intake under heavy acceleration and blow alot of smoke while driving.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
stealth, ive never worked on an engine like yours but on most cars all you would have to do is change you intake, just like you said.
try www.summitraceing.com if an after market manifold exsist they can get it.

Last edited by dough916 at Jan 6 2004, 04:50 AM

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah i can't actually find the right intake manifold anywhere :( Particularly one that's spreadbore so i can use my Edelbrock carburetor.

but what else do you think?

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
just called up Summit Racing. the guy says he doesn't have and has never heard of an intake manifold for my engine :( :( :( :( :(

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah OK but i have a practically brand new Edelbrock 600cfm SPREADbore carburetor, and if i can i'd like to use it. plus i'm sure getting a new intake manifold would help performance ;)

·
Registered
6,115 Posts
Get an adapter plate or sell me the carb cheap & I'll use it :)

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i triedan adaptor plate when i originally got teh carb, but there was a vacuum leak or something... it didn't work

1 - 12 of 12 Posts