LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an almost brand new 600CFM Edelbrock Carburetor (#1400) at the moment. I bought it a while ago because i thought it could replace my current carburetor, but the Edelbrock is spreadbore, and my stock carb is squarebore. That posed a bit of a problem, so instead of replacing the carburetors, or using an adadptor, i just rebuilt the stock squarebore carb that was in the Cadillac. Well in this thread (http://www.layitlow.com/forums/index.php?&act=ST&f=2&t=88397) i said that i would be retiring my car for a few years, while i'm in college, and i'd be driving a little import (good gas mileage) to and from college... in my spare time i'd be working on the cadillac (it needs quite a bit of work to be "mint"). Anyway, instead of selling the Edelbrock, which i've been trying to do, should i rather keep it, and put it on my cadillac during the car's "rest" period (the next 2 years or so)? What would i need to do that? A new intake manifold, right? And where can i get one that will fit my 1980 Cadillac, 368c.i. 6.0L Engine? Is an intake manifold all i'll need? Is it pretty simple? (i.e. can i do it myself without any professional tools). Is it a good idea? The engine runs at the moment, but it takes a lot of time to warm up, and the engine doesn't have as much power as it used to, so while i wasn't going to mess with the engine too much, i was going to just put headers on, replace the plugs, remove parts and clean them and then replace them, etc.

Would this all be a good idea? What do you think I should do?

Also, to leave a car sitting for about 2 years, what do i need to do to ensure no damage to the engine? Something for rust i'm sure, right? I was just going to drain all the fluids. Is there anything else I should do too though?

Also, what is a "throttle body"? Is it like how a car runs? Like carbureted, fuel injected, etc.?

Thanks a lot for the help
Regards
~Lorenzo

·
Registered
6,115 Posts
I'm not sure why but the last three caddys I let sit for a long period of time (couple years) wouldn't shift into any gear after sitting that long. They shifted fine when I parked them, had plenty of fluid etc.

I would like to know what caused this, is there a diaphram or something that dries out ??

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Originally posted by 2drWood@Jan 5 2004, 06:18 PM
I'm not sure why but the last three caddys I let sit for a long period of time (couple years) wouldn't shift into any gear after sitting that long. They shifted fine when I parked them, had plenty of fluid etc.

I would like to know what caused this, is there a diaphram or something that dries out ??
probably the vacume canister on the tranny. its hooked into intake manifold vacum via a vacum line. i know that if the line comes undone it won't shift, but if the diaphram was to crack i think your car would suck tranny fluid into the intake under heavy acceleration and blow alot of smoke while driving.

·
Registered
6,115 Posts
Get an adapter plate or sell me the carb cheap & I'll use it :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.