LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my regal's v6....

Out of the blue, i can hear the driver side lifter(s) tapping alot louder.
What can i do to allieviate this issue and what happens if i let it go for too long?

im gonna do an engine/oil flush, then change the oil, filter, air filter, seafoam, etc
but i highly doubt thats gonna fix the issue

·
Registered
64 Posts
WHATS UP, TRY SOME MARVELLS MYSTERY OIL WHEN U CHANGE IT AND MAYBE EVEN TRY LUCAS THEY BOTH WILL MAKE IT STOP ESPECIALLY THE MARVELS.TRY THAT FIRST :puffin:

·
Registered
8,700 Posts
Originally posted by Torx@Sep 16 2006, 09:14 AM~6186030
On my regal's v6....

Out of the blue, i can hear the driver side lifter(s) tapping alot louder.
What can i do to allieviate this issue and what happens if i let it go for too long?

im gonna do an engine/oil flush, then change the oil, filter, air filter, seafoam, etc
but i highly doubt thats gonna fix the issue
Are you sure its a lifter and not a rocker arm?

·
Registered
6,421 Posts
so how do u adjust them???

·
Registered
6,421 Posts
thats what i thought..

·
Registered
766 Posts
Ok any more info on this cause my 83 coupe with a rebuilt jasper 4100 just started tapping on the driver side, can i still drive it till sat ................should get the oil changed but use thicker oil now or shoulkd i get them adjusted, also can i buy better ones ............

·
Triple OG
11,047 Posts
Originally posted by ALOW1@Sep 19 2006, 08:08 PM~6206481
You dont.

you can adjust rockers.

look up how to set valve lash. There is a certain way to do it but you can do it yourself.

if that don't work its something else. Maybe lifters. Try to see where the noise comes from.

but, if it came out of the blue, its probally not the rockers because they usually take time to wear out of place.

·
Triple OG
11,047 Posts
Originally posted by poppo2_4@Jan 9 2007, 03:58 PM~6944551
aight cool thanks..................but will it last till sat

for all I know you may have a blown rod...

no telling. If you like your car I wouldn't drive it till you get it fixed or at least looked at.

·
Registered
5,051 Posts
if your engines strong , no leaks or bullshit like that. what i would do is pull the heads and take them to the machine shop have them rebuilt cost about 300 get the seats hardened and a 3 angle valve job ;) throw them back and torque down right otherwise you'll blow head gaskets :uh: :biggrin:

·
Registered
5,051 Posts
but before u get into something like that get a valve adjustment first. most likely fix the problem make sure you know what your doing or have someone do it that knows what there doing because if its done wrong baaaaaad shit can happen like valves hittin pistons and stupid shit like that ;)

·
Chewie
12,140 Posts
Originally posted by impala_631@Jan 11 2007, 06:16 AM~6958743
i thought u just tighened em down :0
Noppers.I know there is a way to set them running and not running.You would have to get a good automotive book on a small block to see what it says.I can not rember off the top of my head as we have books at the shop I work at so we just look it up when ever we need to set valves.

And trust me if you do not feel like you are able to do it yourself get a good book or go to a shop you know and trust to have it done :cool:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts