·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A job for his jalopy
Thursday, August 18, 2005
The Oregonian
A Westview senior sinks every cent into his low-rider

Name: Shayne Atterton Age: 17 School: Incoming senior at Westview High School His summer: Working at a Cedar Mill gas station so he can support his car hobby. Working on a dream: All summer and most days after school, Atterton pumps gas and runs the cash register at a busy Shell station off Cornell Road.

He coasts through the familiar fill'er-up motions: Take the credit card from the crack of a window, slide it through the machine and, a few minutes later, hand back the receipt.

"The only reason I work is for my car," he said. "Every paycheck goes into this car."

Atterton refers to it affectionately as "the rust bucket": a black and silver 1981 Monte Carlo with wire rims, hydraulic system and stereo with speakers.

He bought it as a rusted junker two years ago for $300. Since then, he's put $4,000 worth of work into it. The low-rider, with an altered suspension so it can ride just inches off the ground, front hop and rest on three of its four wheels, is a key part of Atterton's dream.

"I don't want to be stuck in some office job that I hate doing," said Atterton, who has a 3.8 grade-point average and attends Columbia View Wesleyan Church in Northeast Portland twice a week. "I want to open up my own shop."

A mentor and a friend: Atterton, who grew up in Gresham, used to wander over to the house of neighbor Paul Jenda, the president of Portland's Boulevard Car Club. The eight-member group is one of several Portland car clubs that unite people to work on cars and attend and compete in low-rider shows.

As a boy, Atterton would watch the men work. He was intrigued.

Jenda, who has been in the custom car business nearly two decades, became a mentor and helped Atterton, with careful instruction and some free auto work, do all the alterations on a low-rider bike, then a car. Atterton still goes to Jenda's East Portland home several times a week.

Jenda was impressed by Atterton's work on the car. "He has determination and drive to compete with it," he said.

Atterton has won a hopping competition, getting the front wheels of his car up to 46 inches off the ground, and placed high in two others.

"When you go in the hopping pit, it gets your adrenaline pumping," he said. "It's a different kind of sport." So much to learn: In shop class, Atterton welded a reinforcement to improve his car's hopping capabilities. He got an A on the project.

After he graduates from Westview in the spring, Atterton plans to attend Portland Community College and study auto mechanics.

He knows he has a lot to learn. Last week, he accidentally put a check valve on backward and burned out an $80 battery.

"He has that 'what-do-I-gotta-do-to-make-this-happen' attitude," Jenda said. "He's learning all the time." -- Sophia Tareen

©2005 The Oregonian

·
Registered
719 Posts
Originally posted by Hydrogirl@Aug 18 2005, 06:11 PM~3652905
A job for his jalopy
Thursday, August 18, 2005
The Oregonian
A Westview senior sinks every cent into his low-rider

Name: Shayne Atterton Age: 17 School: Incoming senior at Westview High School His summer: Working at a Cedar Mill gas station so he can support his car hobby. Working on a dream: All summer and most days after school, Atterton pumps gas and runs the cash register at a busy Shell station off Cornell Road.

He coasts through the familiar fill'er-up motions: Take the credit card from the crack of a window, slide it through the machine and, a few minutes later, hand back the receipt.

"The only reason I work is for my car," he said. "Every paycheck goes into this car."

Atterton refers to it affectionately as "the rust bucket": a black and silver 1981 Monte Carlo with wire rims, hydraulic system and stereo with speakers.

He bought it as a rusted junker two years ago for $300. Since then, he's put $4,000 worth of work into it. The low-rider, with an altered suspension so it can ride just inches off the ground, front hop and rest on three of its four wheels, is a key part of Atterton's dream.

"I don't want to be stuck in some office job that I hate doing," said Atterton, who has a 3.8 grade-point average and attends Columbia View Wesleyan Church in Northeast Portland twice a week. "I want to open up my own shop."

A mentor and a friend: Atterton, who grew up in Gresham, used to wander over to the house of neighbor Paul Jenda, the president of Portland's Boulevard Car Club. The eight-member group is one of several Portland car clubs that unite people to work on cars and attend and compete in low-rider shows.

As a boy, Atterton would watch the men work. He was intrigued.

Jenda, who has been in the custom car business nearly two decades, became a mentor and helped Atterton, with careful instruction and some free auto work, do all the alterations on a low-rider bike, then a car. Atterton still goes to Jenda's East Portland home several times a week.

Jenda was impressed by Atterton's work on the car. "He has determination and drive to compete with it," he said.

Atterton has won a hopping competition, getting the front wheels of his car up to 46 inches off the ground, and placed high in two others.

"When you go in the hopping pit, it gets your adrenaline pumping," he said. "It's a different kind of sport." So much to learn: In shop class, Atterton welded a reinforcement to improve his car's hopping capabilities. He got an A on the project.

After he graduates from Westview in the spring, Atterton plans to attend Portland Community College and study auto mechanics.

He knows he has a lot to learn. Last week, he accidentally put a check valve on backward and burned out an $80 battery.

"He has that 'what-do-I-gotta-do-to-make-this-happen' attitude," Jenda said. "He's learning all the time." -- Sophia Tareen
©2005 The Oregonian
nice artical

·
Registered
6,310 Posts
Nice, good job!!!!

·
Registered
3,994 Posts
much love and great job lil bro!

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
BIG UPS FROM THE SEATTLE CAPTER :cool: SHOWING HOW IT'S Dunn IN THE NORTHWEST :wave:

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
NOW THAT'S WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT!!!!! "KEEP ON LOWRIDING FULLTIME LITTLE BROTHER!!!!" PAULY :biggrin:

·
Registered
554 Posts
It's aways good to see a positive outlook on the lowrider lifestyle,I get so tired of the negitive limelight we get, anytime there is a positive envolving lowriders it get us a little closer to being known as what we truly are the true sport of kings.

·
Member # 1,077
22,645 Posts
"and stereo with speakers."
wow a stereo and speakers!? lol good work!

·
Registered
15,630 Posts
lol they really used the term check valve like people would know wht the hell it was.

·
SPELL CHECK
21,743 Posts
Originally posted by Hydrogirl@Aug 18 2005, 04:11 PM~3652905
and stereo with speakers.

Whoa, a stereo WITH SPEAKERS??? I'm so jealous! :biggrin:

But seriously, that's a great article. :cool: :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts