LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well 1st off I have a 327 engine, I have block hugger headers, and flowmaster 44's. I love that tone but I want it amplified. Whats my best bet? Should I get some downturns after the mufflers? I like the O.G look of my pipes coming out the rear quarters though...Should I just replace the mufflers with the single chamber Flowmaster 10's?

Back in the day I had a 83 regal with a 305 and some imco mufflers and some big exhaust tips. I loved the tone, idled sweet, throaty sound,even tickled my ears while I drive off slowly, just amazing.... How do I get this same effect :dunno:

·
Banned
1,153 Posts
I know you like the look of the pipes coming out the back BUT one option is to dump the exhaust(downturn) right around the middle of the car. Awhile ago some dude around town had a 68 impala w/ a 327 with that setup, flowmasters although not sure what model and it was probably one of the best sounding rides around. I guess dumping it right to the ground bounces the sound off the pavement back onto the bottom of the car. It sounded great

·
Registered
11,240 Posts
Originally posted by SnakeShit@Mar 13 2010, 05:03 AM~16878713
I know you like the look of the pipes coming out the back BUT one option is to dump the exhaust(downturn) right around the middle of the car. Awhile ago some dude around town had a 68 impala w/ a 327 with that setup, flowmasters although not sure what model and it was probably one of the best sounding rides around. I guess dumping it right to the ground bounces the sound off the pavement back onto the bottom of the car. It sounded great
yea the shorter the exhaust the louder the car is gonna be...

·
Premium Member
18,724 Posts
different mufflers. Go to flowmasters site they describe each of their mufflers sounds.

I had a 350 with hooker mufflers that ended before the rear end. It was too loud so I had them run it to the back and it was only kinda loud.

One easy thing you can do for a lower rumble at idle-1500rpm is run an H pipe or crossover to connect your 2 dual pipes somewhere up towards the front of the car. This evens out the pressures in the pipes and makes a more steady rumble.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Originally posted by CoupeDTS@Mar 13 2010, 04:56 PM~16881913
different mufflers.  Go to flowmasters site they describe each of their mufflers sounds.

I had a 350 with hooker mufflers that ended before the rear end.  It was too loud so I had them run it to the back and it was only kinda loud. 

One easy thing you can do for a lower rumble at idle-1500rpm is run an H pipe or crossover to connect your 2 dual  pipes somewhere up towards the front of the car.  This evens out the pressures in the pipes and makes a more steady rumble.
I like the idea of a H pipe, but I was looking at this cars set up and I'm not sure it will work with the X frame :confused: http://www.layitlow.com/forums/index.php?s...post&p=16088868

Maybe I'll cut off the pipes before the rear wheels and see how it sounds, if its not much better then Cut after the mufflers and add the turndowns. Rite now I have 2 inch piping, should I get bigger?

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
i have 40 series flowmasters with turndowns right after the cab of my truck and its loud and clean

1 - 9 of 9 Posts