LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
because i use so much gas taking off from stop signs and traffic lights (where i live), and use so much power doing so, someone suggested that to get more low-end power, and also increase my gas mileage, i do two things... just wanted to run them by you guys first, see what you thought:

1) Differential gears... he said i can increase the gears (or something like that) so it'll be easier to take off... where can i get this done?

2) I'm going to do this tomorrow probably: increase the shift times... when i'm accelerating (regularly, not pushing it) i shift from 1st to 2nd at about 10 mph, and 2nd to 3rd at about 20 mph... i'm going to increase the shift times, which i think should help, since most of the driving i do is under 40MPH (city driving).

what do you think?

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Higher ratio Dif Gears around 3.55 and up increases low speed launch. You would be able to do burnouts better too. But it will make your engine rev higher. Freeway speeds at 65mph for me, my engine in the chero revs at 4,200. But my redline is at 9,000. Just keep in mind that if you take it at speeds about 50mph, your engine will be reving high.

If you want to change the tranny shift point too, do it after you put the high ratio gears in the ass.

Also to increase torque is to install an aftermarket ignition, like a MSD 6AL. It will make the engine burn gas more efficiently. Hence more torque. Also if EFI, have it calibrated for a better fuel/ign curve. Well anything you can think of that will make the gas burn quicker in the motor, will increase power.

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Isn't there some way i can get an 'overdrive' or something in there, so that i'll still get good highway gas mileage?

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
On the lincoln? Most trannys that are auto overdrives are 4 speeds. But the 4th is still 1.00 to 1 ratio. I'm not sure on the overdrive thing. Just dont go over 70 mph and it'll be good.

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
it's not a Lincoln, it's a Cadillac...

so for now if i get the ignition, and possibly tweak the shift time a little i'll notice an increase in power, right?

Because they said i'd notice an increase in power after i got a new Catalytic converter, flowmaster, and air filter... and i noticed nothing :p

·
Registered
5,570 Posts
there is so much you can do to get more low end torque for take offs....all the above will work, and so will changing out your cam......

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Originally posted by Stealth@Nov 29 2003, 11:08 AM
it's not a Lincoln, it's a Cadillac...

so for now if i get the ignition, and possibly tweak the shift time a little i'll notice an increase in power, right?

Because they said i'd notice an increase in power after i got a new Catalytic converter, flowmaster, and air filter... and i noticed nothing :p
You wont really notice those changes untill you add the headers to free it up before it goes into those things.

Anyways I usually upgrade the ignition first cause its what burns the fuel better and makes it a solid runner.

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
so could you tell me exactly what ignition i should get and where? how hard is it to put in? is it interchangeable with the one i have at the moment or will i have to make modifications, etc. to notice the power increase?

it's a 368 c.i. (6.0 L) V8

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
I'd have to look into more for a Caddy. There is an easy updrade for ignitions. Its by Pertronix, the Flamethrower system. Two wires to the coil and thats it. I did a 410ci DFI Caddy. This is something I'd have to see what can be done.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts