LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone used low profile tires in the snow?...is it safe?....any help would be appreciated...

·
Registered
322 Posts
i wouldn't reccomend it.....they are made for performance, and most won't get ANY traction in tha snow (you won't go anywhere.)

·
Registered
8,712 Posts
Before I juiced my ride, I had 50 series tires, and it would slip very easily on a wet surface. During the snow, it was worse.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Again, I roll them every day, all year. The're not too bad in inclement weather. I roll on 245/40-17s so they are wide as hell. And wide isn't really the best thing to have in rain OR snow. What ever tires you get make sure it has a good tire grade rating though. I use Sumitomo HTR+ because it's omni directional and has a grade of 360AAA. Which basically means it has almost excellent treadwear, wet traction and temperature ratings. It's what most people don't inquire about when buying tires, but when you're on I-95 driving bach from New Hampshire with 8" of snow on the highway, you'll be glad you did.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
I ride 195/40/16 all day everyday never had any probs n i live in england we aint got the best of weather, and i always thought the wider they are the better coz you have more traction but maybe im wrong oh well

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Originally posted by stigs106@Dec 3 2003, 10:18 AM
I ride 195/40/16 all day everyday never had any probs n i live in england we aint got the best of weather, and i always thought the wider they are the better coz you have more traction but maybe im wrong oh well
Wide actually isn't as good on surface roads except in the dry. In the wet, at high speeds that's just more water it has to move and duct out of the way as you're travelling. So it's a lot easier to hydroplane with wide tires. That's why you have to look at treads when you buy tires also. Just to get an idea what the tires are going to be doing with all of that water in the rain. 195/40-16's aren't very wide so you probably never have a problem. It's definitly something to think about when you head over 9"-treadwidths though. And it becomes very apparent in the rain. That's one of the reasons that in the rain, you hardly ever see Vettes and Vipers zipping around. :)

·
SPELL CHECK
21,743 Posts
Originally posted by BOUNCIN89MERC2LOW97LHS+Dec 3 2003, 07:49 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (BOUNCIN89MERC2LOW97LHS @ Dec 3 2003, 07:49 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--stigs106@Dec 3 2003, 10:18 AM
I ride 195/40/16 all day everyday never had any probs n i live in england we aint got the best of weather,  and i always thought the wider they are the better coz you have more traction but maybe im wrong oh well
Wide actually isn't as good on surface roads except in the dry. In the wet, at high speeds that's just more water it has to move and duct out of the way as you're travelling. So it's a lot easier to hydroplane with wide tires. That's why you have to look at treads when you buy tires also. Just to get an idea what the tires are going to be doing with all of that water in the rain. 195/40-16's aren't very wide so you probably never have a problem. It's definitly something to think about when you head over 9"-treadwidths though. And it becomes very apparent in the rain. That's one of the reasons that in the rain, you hardly ever see Vettes and Vipers zipping around. :)[/b][/quote]
You're right. If you're going to get wide and/or low-profile tires and plan on driving them in the snow, make sure they're rated for use in the snow. It's hard enough driving wide tires in the snow, but if they're not even snow rated you might as well be sitting on one of those snow saucers! :0 BTW, my 255/35ZR20 Kumhos are not snow rated (hell no I don't drive 'em in the snow!!!), but they handle GREAT in the rain! ;)

Cheers,
Jeff

1 - 8 of 8 Posts