LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
I love hearing "PAPA"
5,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I work with a/c systems, anyone ever try/thought about using and a/c system to cool down a high voltage motor? I was thinking I could cool the motor by wrapping the motor with home made a/c cooling coils.

Also, anyone find a way to remove the copper dust and solder, BEFORE in lands inside the motor casing? I thought about using freon gas piped into the block area and have it forced out the end plate of the motor.

Or a nonconductive cooling foam inside the motor it self.

Anymore off the wall thoughts on this slow night on how to make a 12 VDC motor run repeatedly on 9 or 10 batteries?

Another thought, I find it hard to believe we actually need a motor and pump head to spin 25,000 RPM to help us hop.

Last edited by Hydros at Dec 27 2003, 11:35 PM

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
i forgot who it is that makes it, but a car audio company( it might of been mtx, or alpine) makes a 12v pump that pumps engine coolent through their amps. you could hook it up to just one amp or many in series. it was stand alone, not conected to your engine in any way. a while back i had thought about wrapping cooper tubing around the motor then hooking it up to one of these pumps. never had the time or money to try it.

·
Registered
6,878 Posts
Originally posted by dough916@Dec 28 2003, 12:59 AM
i forgot who it is that makes it, but a car audio company( it might of been mtx, or alpine) makes a 12v pump that pumps engine coolent through their amps. you could hook it up to just one amp or many in series. it was stand alone, not conected to your engine in any way. a while back i had thought about wrapping cooper tubing around the motor then hooking it up to one of these pumps. never had the time or money to try it.
I think it was MTX.

·
Registered
25,987 Posts
Originally posted by DownLow350+Dec 28 2003, 01:01 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (DownLow350 @ Dec 28 2003, 01:01 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--dough916@Dec 28 2003, 12:59 AM
I think it was MTX.[/b][/quote]
Bazooka ;)

·
I love hearing "PAPA"
5,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by S10lifted@Dec 27 2003, 11:40 PM
You come up with a way to keep the motors cool and let me know. ;)
Remember some of the big block engines in the 60's they had these large exhaust valves filled with some other compound. That metal would explode in water.

Anyways, it was used to keep the valve from overheating. Just thinking about drilling out the armeture and filling it with this stuff. But I think the valve was filled 1/2 way. as the valve went up and down, it would shake the other compound would then transfer the heat to the stem outside the combustion chamber.

It looks like anything can be done if enough money is spent to design and produce it.

I'm wondering why the bushes and commutator could not be longer to help with the heat too. I know it's a larger mass, but at 25,000 RPM, there has got to be a better way.

·
Registered
4,908 Posts
I have even been thinking about cutting slits in a motor to allow more air flow through the motor(kinda like the end caps). Not sure if it would work. :dunno: I have an old street motor that I might try it on unless someone could teel me if it works or not. Maybe something as simple as that could help.

·
I love hearing "PAPA"
5,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally posted by S10lifted@Dec 28 2003, 01:04 AM
I have even been thinking about cutting slits in a motor to allow more air flow through the motor(kinda like the end caps). Not sure if it would work. :dunno: I have an old street motor that I might try it on unless someone could teel me if it works or not. Maybe something as simple as that could help.
I think it needs more than the surounding air to cool these things. I was reading they can get over 350 degree.

Something that could force cool air into and out of the motor.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Originally posted by Hydros+Dec 28 2003, 01:32 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Hydros @ Dec 28 2003, 01:32 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--S10lifted@Dec 27 2003, 11:40 PM
Remember some of the big block engines in the 60's they had these large exhaust valves filled with some other compound. That metal would explode in water.

Anyways, it was used to keep the valve from overheating. Just thinking about drilling out the armeture and filling it with this stuff. But I think the valve was filled 1/2 way. as the valve went up and down, it would shake the other compound would then transfer the heat to the stem outside the combustion chamber.

It looks like anything can be done if enough money is spent to design and produce it.

I'm wondering why the bushes and commutator could not be longer to help with the heat too. I know it's a larger mass, but at 25,000 RPM, there has got to be a better way.[/b][/quote]
Sodium filled valves?

·
Registered
4,908 Posts
Originally posted by Hydros+Dec 28 2003, 01:23 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Hydros @ Dec 28 2003, 01:23 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--S10lifted@Dec 28 2003, 01:04 AM
I have even been thinking about cutting slits in a motor to allow more air flow through the motor(kinda like the end caps).  Not sure if it would work.  :dunno:  I have an old street motor that I might try it on unless someone could teel me if it works or not.  Maybe something as simple as that could help.
I think it needs more than the surounding air to cool these things. I was reading they can get over 350 degree.

Something that could force cool air into and out of the motor.[/b][/quote]
I was even thinking about that part of it too. I have a few external cooling fans that are used for electronics and such that might be able to be used in a push pull kind of way. They are the 6" electric fans. Not sure if it would be enough to keep them cool though. Even if it helped some it would still be better than nothing. The cooling coils might be the best way. Surely with all the people on LIL we can come up with something.

·
I love hearing "PAPA"
5,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Originally posted by LowLIfeVW+Dec 28 2003, 01:46 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (LowLIfeVW @ Dec 28 2003, 01:46 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by [email protected] 28 2003, 01:32 AM
<!--QuoteBegin--S10lifted
@Dec 27 2003, 11:40 PM

I'm wondering why the bushes and commutator could not be longer to help with the heat too. I know it's a larger mass, but at 25,000 RPM, there has got to be a better way.
Sodium filled valves?[/b][/quote]
heck I was going to say sodium, but it sounds like that's just salt.

Thanks LLVW

·
I love hearing "PAPA"
5,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

I was even thinking about that part of it too.  I have a few external cooling fans that are used for electronics and such that might be able to be used in a push pull kind of way.  They are the 6" electric fans.  Not sure if it would be enough to keep them cool though.  Even if it helped some it would still be better than nothing.  The cooling coils might be the best way.  Surely with all the people on LIL we can come up with something.
The cooling part might need to start at redesigning the block. maybe with some cooling holes sending cold air/gas to and through the block.

Now you know, the fuel pumps in car these days are actually inside of the gas tank. Helps to cool the pumps... :0

Makes me wonder about other fluids...

All right here goes without fully thinking it through, what if I set my pumps up with the motor inside a jug of... of, .... of water. There I said it. Ready for the onslaught.

Maybe not water, but something non flamible and non-conductive. Anyone have any ideas here?

·
Registered
4,908 Posts
Man, I feel what your saying. There is some fluid that comes to mind but, I can't remember its name. Maybe set it up like that and fabricate some sort of radiator or cooler to keep the fluid circulating that way it stays cool too. Hmmm, first we need to come up with a design then figure out how to make it look good. :cool:

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Hugh Stillman tried to use liquid nitrogen in motors and it worked somewhat last I heard there was some problems with metal fatigue, butthe stuff gets so cold that you dont really have to have it come in direct contact with the actual parts of the motor 2 or 3 cooling tubes running thrugh the motor or a cooling coil around it will keep it pretty cool.Also wrap the windings with fiberglass tape to cut down on arcing .In fact any metal in the motor that isnt there to directly conduct needs to be insulated to cut down on arcing and use a plastic end plate. Compressed air blowing towards the back of the motor will keep all the dust from the brushes to a minimum there is a company that makes motors for automotive hydros that works best at 25000 rpms

·
I love hearing "PAPA"
5,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Originally posted by Ulysses 2@Dec 28 2003, 09:12 AM
there is a company that makes motors for automotive hydros that works best at 25000 rpms
Any idea of the name and contact address of this company?

But still, 25,000 PRM s needed to hop?

·
Registered
9,793 Posts
what about cooling fins on the motor casing ,just like early motor bike engines to give a bigger surface area and then maybe a sort of forced air cooling . i do like the idea of running a coolant system around the motors

·
Registered
4,908 Posts
Originally posted by SERIOUSHYDROS@Dec 28 2003, 06:46 PM
Guys. :uh: The armature spins at a very high rate of speed. Right :) An armature with a small fan built on would work ;) Slits or holes in the base of the motor casing for intake. Then open spots or holes in the end cap for exaust. Like power drills have. This would help push out debris as well. :biggrin:
I didn't think of trying to build a fan onto the armature but, that would probably work better than have 2 fans trying to push and pull the air through the motor. Hmmm, if I could some how mount these fans inside the motor than it might just work.

·
I love hearing "PAPA"
5,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Like on my drill. ;)

Regarding my lifts, I used to cool my motor down by spinning it on 12 volts and dumped at the same time (Big Green). You see, when you stop hitting the switch after some serious use, the brushes in contact with the same commutators get hot. I spin them so change the contact areas.

When my drill gets too hot I do the same thing, but I knew the fan was also helping to cool too.

Now to find someone to post a PIC of this armeter with the fan on it...

1 - 20 of 32 Posts