LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
7,836 Posts
Originally posted by ROLLN4LIFE@Sep 11 2005, 05:26 PM~3794600
Has anyone done a LT1 engine swap in an oldschool impala ?
plenty of people have done this swap,pretty straight forward if your going with carb setup since you have one less tangle of wires :biggrin:

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
JUST WONDERING ABOUT HOW THEY DID IT AND IF THEY HAD ANY PROBLEMS? because I know someone selling 1 with everything including transmission and I was wondering if it was a pain in the ass or not ? Its a killer deal, this dude wants $800 for everything and its only got 40,000 miles on it!

·
Registered
24,209 Posts
Originally posted by ROLLN4LIFE@Sep 11 2005, 10:12 PM~3795138
JUST WONDERING ABOUT HOW THEY DID IT AND IF THEY HAD ANY PROBLEMS?  because I know someone selling 1 with everything including transmission and I was wondering if it was a pain in the ass or not ?  Its a killer deal, this dude wants $800 for everything and its only got 40,000 miles on it!
From what I know its not a huge deal...My buddy Greg did it on his 60 rag, fucker is badass...

Attachments

·
Registered
8,504 Posts
if you want to fuel inject your old car going to run you at least 2 grand. parts and other things you need. now if you want it show, then your talking probably about 5 grand. the motor/fuel injection is a dime a dozen. look at www.hotrodlane.cc

oh and you better put some disc brakes if you plan on stopping in prompt manner

·
Face Puncher
25,975 Posts
Originally posted by SIXONEFORLIFE@Sep 11 2005, 10:47 PM~3795303
From what I know its not a huge deal...My buddy Greg did it on his 60 rag, fucker is badass...
thats great, now go make him fix his hood hinges

·
Premium Member
11,540 Posts
Originally posted by japSW20@Sep 11 2005, 07:51 PM~3794723
plenty of people have done this swap,pretty straight forward if your going with carb setup since you have one less tangle of wires :biggrin:
I never understood the point of doing a carbed LT1 :dunno: Someone I know here in town did that in his monte :twak:

I might be doing this in my new regal :0

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm not planning on putting a carb on it ! That 60 is bad ass but it looks like it has a TPI motor and the one I'm thinking about is out of a 96 Impala SS and its not a TPI!

·
Premium Member
11,540 Posts
Originally posted by ROLLN4LIFE@Sep 12 2005, 07:54 AM~3797022
I'm not planning on putting a carb on it !  That 60 is bad ass but it looks like it has a TPI motor and the one I'm thinking about is out of a 96 Impala SS and its not a TPI!

Yup, and I see a belt driven water pump meaning its a TPI 350, not an LT1.

·
SPELL CHECK
21,743 Posts
Originally posted by SIXONEFORLIFE+Sep 11 2005, 07:47 PM~3795303-->
[/b]
That's not an LT1. It looks like a Ram Jet.

<!--QuoteBegin-Joe5pt0
@Sep 12 2005, 04:35 AM~3796934
I never understood the point of doing a carbed LT1 :dunno: Someone I know here in town did that in his monte :twak:

I might be doing this in my new regal :0
Joe, people debate the whole LT1 FI vs. carb thing all the time. One of the major benefits of having the carb and losing the computer is that you can rid the engine of the very expensive Optispark and replace it with a regular HEI unit with minimal effort. The nice thing about the LT1, of course, is the reverse cooling which allows for a higher compression ration, and therefore more power and better gas mileage than a standard 350. You can crank some serious ponies from a carbed LT1 on a budget and still get decent mileage, whereas upgrades to the FI can be expensive. Some people think converting to a carb is a step back, but it's cool either way. :biggrin:

·
Premium Member
64,662 Posts
:0

Attachments

·
Premium Member
64,662 Posts
:biggrin:

Attachments

·
Registered
24,209 Posts
Originally posted by Badass94Cad@Sep 12 2005, 03:31 PM~3798801
That's not an LT1.  It looks like a Ram Jet.
Joe, people debate the whole LT1 FI vs. carb thing all the time.  One of the major benefits of having the carb and losing the computer is that you can rid the engine of the very expensive Optispark and replace it with a regular HEI unit with minimal effort.  The nice thing about the LT1, of course, is the reverse cooling which allows for a higher compression ration, and therefore more power and better gas mileage than a standard 350.  You can crank some serious ponies from a carbed LT1 on a budget and still get decent mileage, whereas upgrades to the FI can be expensive.  Some people think converting to a carb is a step back, but it's cool either way.  :biggrin:
Never said it was a LT1 its actually a lt4 w/ hot cam and 1.6 lifters with headers, this impala will really haul, it has a 700 r 4 trans with 370 rear gears.

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
Originally posted by BigWorm@Sep 12 2005, 01:00 PM~3799371
thats not an lt4
Your right. Just a plain old TPI setup.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts