LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
The Hard Road
16,761 Posts
Originally posted by $Bigg Money$@Nov 16 2003, 04:17 AM
has any1 ever put a performance chip in theres and where can u find 1
Chips are no good for the LT1, go with a PCM programmer.

Bryan Herter is probably the best in the business, some say Ed Wright. Tad from the now defunct SoCalSS is good too.

http://www.pcmforless.com <<<<Bryan's site.

He did mine. I have my tranny pressure upped, timing advanced (runs on 93 octane only) and something else I'm sure.

Depending on your application, he can do a dyno day to chassis tune it.

Good guy, good prices!

Jeff

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
All those performance chips do is make the computer think the incoming air to the intake it colder, which advances the timing a bit. On Ebay there is someone whe sell this adaptor for the temp sensor on the intake. All it is, is a resistor which fools the computer. Cost is $20.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally posted by 1LOWCHERO@Nov 16 2003, 12:59 PM
All those performance chips do is make the computer think the incoming air to the intake it colder, which advances the timing a bit. On Ebay there is someone whe sell this adaptor for the temp sensor on the intake. All it is, is a resistor which fools the computer. Cost is $20.
really 20.00 think this would work do u think they make the vechial run ritcher

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
no it just changes the timing, advanced a couple degrees. The stock timing is for emissions compliance, not for maximum power. Hence we came out with mod chips and stand alone fuel management systems with dial in timing curves. Yes, most of the stuff you heard on Fast and the Furious is true. They incorporated it alittle goofy but it is true. Anyways some of those plug in modules that adjust the timing and fuel maps are pretty cool, and do make a difference up to a point with stock engines.

·
Registered
34,352 Posts
listen to Jeff. he knows what hes talking about, im gonna get the same tuning this winter on my Impala as well. And remember you get what you pay for, so go ahead and spend $20 on a chip.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Just like Jeff said, go with Bryan Herter. He reprogrammed my PCM on my '95 Impala SS last year. Make sure you get the 160 Thermostat and the LT4 Knock Module too.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
I'm not saying to go out and buy it. I'm just stating what you actually do in the computer when you buy the $200+ hand programmer. Its just adusting the timing, and thats why the car runs hotter (thermostat), and knock sensor, cause you have to run higher octane gas. When you do this to the computer, its fooling itself and makes the cars run abnormal. Think about it. :biggrin:

·
The Hard Road
16,761 Posts
Originally posted by 1LOWCHERO@Nov 24 2003, 07:31 PM
I'm not saying to go out and buy it. I'm just stating what you actually do in the computer when you buy the $200+ hand programmer. Its just adusting the timing, and thats why the car runs hotter (thermostat), and knock sensor, cause you have to run higher octane gas. When you do this to the computer, its fooling itself and makes the cars run abnormal. Think about it. :biggrin:
I am not talking about a programmer you can buy off the shelf.

I am talking about Bryan Herter, The PCM god.

If you are involved in the '94-'96 B-Body Impalas' then you know who I'm talking about.

You DO NOT have to run higher octane per knock module.

There is little evidence, if any, to support that the LT4 knock module out performs the LT1 knock module anyway.

I have the LT4.

My timing is advanced yes, hence the 93 octane to prevent "pinging."

1 - 11 of 11 Posts