LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 1734 Posts

·
SINGLE PUMP NO WEIGHT
19,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok...I picked up this 1987 Luxury Sport Monte Carlo for 100 bucks. I was unaware what I was getting myself into until I had gotten into the build. The plan was for a regular street car to serve easy with any day I please. It got out of hand like most projects do.

My first actually work on the car began 8-26-05. I wasn't working on the car for myself, I was swapping the suspension off the car for a buddy that wanted to put his car back to stock. So I was getting some chrome goodies for the swap/work but not really planning on building it yet.

Up on jack stands pulling the suspension:

You can see the car needed some major love. I took the suspension off and cleaned it up before reinstalling it on the other car.

·
SINGLE PUMP NO WEIGHT
19,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I mean...it was looking real rough once I really got under it to see what was there. I thought, I can't even put a clean black frame under this belly....it needs a lot of work. A stress point wrap will not do it.....it would leave too much untouched.

·
SINGLE PUMP NO WEIGHT
19,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So after thinking about it and talking to friends....one of my club mates had a g-body frame with some work done to it already. So I'm like, do another frame, swap it out.....no biggie. So I got the frame from him with some crossmember work already finished out.

I got it in the shop and started cleaning the rest of it.

The frame was solid....just surface rust that I cleaned off.

·
SINGLE PUMP NO WEIGHT
19,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I upload these pics 9-7-05. This frame was actually the factory frame from under the blue monte we built previously. You can see the blue overspray. :biggrin:

·
SINGLE PUMP NO WEIGHT
19,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Upload date 9-24-05.

Frame reinforcement fully under way. Back of the frame being wrapped up with 1/4" plate. Thats the thickest it got...1/4".

Finishing off the bottom of the crossmember too. 1/4" plate.

·
SINGLE PUMP NO WEIGHT
19,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Upload still 9-24-05.

Plates pressed into place and tack welded to hold the positions.

bottom

·
SINGLE PUMP NO WEIGHT
19,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
9-27-05 upload

Bottom and back of crossmember welded up. Also lower a-arm mounts.

Back rails welded up too.

·
SINGLE PUMP NO WEIGHT
19,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
upload 10-15-05

Ok...since I was doing all this by myself I had to multi task. If I got board of welding there were plenty of other things to do. PLENTY! So I started digging into the interior. I wanted to get it done and out of the way so it would just later on be installation.

Interior was MESSED UP too!

Look at the drivers seat. Its maroon and the rest was tan. Someone had jacked the car for its power drivers seat and put a manual one in there. :twak: And see the jambs were still tan too. :ugh:

Door panels missing trim and just plan tore up.

·
SINGLE PUMP NO WEIGHT
19,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Originally posted by cdznutz42069+Sep 27 2006, 02:22 PM~6256057-->
here we go! its about time. :biggrin:
[/b]

:biggrin: :cheesy: :wave:

<!--QuoteBegin-NIMSTER64 Posted Today
@ 02:32 PM~
  who cares about the dates the pics were uploaded lets see more pics
gotta let you all know the real time frame for progress. :cool:

·
SINGLE PUMP NO WEIGHT
19,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Passenger seat just chilling. I like the factory pillows...but I do have my preferences....so you know how that goes. ;)

Interior straight trashed. Look at the blue steering column. Whoever had their hands on this car before....did EVERYTHING wrong. :buttkick:

Even the factory carpet kit was gone and replaced with that roll out shit. :ugh:

·
SINGLE PUMP NO WEIGHT
19,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
They already at some point tried to do a color change on the interior. Apparently there was no prep done before the work...it was all coming off.

·
SINGLE PUMP NO WEIGHT
19,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
10-15-05 upload still. I got some more frame work done too. Center wrapped up tight.

And WAY more structure went into the back side. The tubing for cross brace is 3/16" 2x2 box.

·
SINGLE PUMP NO WEIGHT
19,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
10-15-05

The bottom was getting there.

·
SINGLE PUMP NO WEIGHT
19,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
10-27-05. Getting the interior right.

After--- Before pic
I had to complete take the panels down the original color before changing it properly. That took a lot of laquer thinner, rags and rubber gloves.

I had to get another steering column from another g-body because the one in the car was toast. But that turned into stupid problems later on also. Matching the color up too.

·
SINGLE PUMP NO WEIGHT
19,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
These are panel I dyed....I wrapped as many as I could myself that could take it. I hate to see factory panels wrapped over that look all bulky from the padding and material.

Door panel trim

·
SINGLE PUMP NO WEIGHT
19,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Dash pad cover. The factory dash was cracked and I wasn't going to the process to try and find another one to replace it with.

Before

After

·
SINGLE PUMP NO WEIGHT
19,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
In the mean time I found another drivers power seat and sent them to my main man to have them wrapped up the way I wanted them. 4 buttons across in the front....5 buttons across in the back...and the piping right on the edge of the pillow. He did good!

I gotta do them caddy style!

·
SINGLE PUMP NO WEIGHT
19,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Seats and tops of the door panels chilling freshly inside. Butter soft. :biggrin: And yes....thats a double pump assembly you see on the floor. :0

1 - 20 of 1734 Posts