LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
why do some of them look so bad after a couple of months... fading, pitted, fisheye? I remember a topic here of cars painted at Macco and they looked great...... what are doing different?
I'm low on cash,( about $800) with all my material and I'm trying to decide should I take to a garage car painter or just say screw it and take it to Macco.
I refuse to let my car spend another winter in primer. :uh:

·
Registered
16,630 Posts
WHAT DO YOU WANT THE END RESULT TO BE, IS IT A SHOW CAR? OR JUST SOMETHING YOU DRIVE ALL THE TIME. I TOOK MY 78 MONTE THERE AND THEY DID A GOOD JOB ON IT IT WAS AROUND 800 THERE WAS NO DINGS ARE DENTS WENT WITH A 2000 BMW METALIC GREEN. IF PEOPLE WOULD ASK I WOULD TELL THEM AND THEY WOULD BE LIKE HELL NO. MACCO DIDNT DO THAT PAINT. I WOULD ONLY BACK THERE FOR A CAR I WAS GOING TO SELL. JUST CAUSE THE LEVEL OF THE CARS AT SHOWS. ADD ANOTHER 8 AND YOU CAN GET A PRETTY NICE PAINT JOB SOMEWHERE ELSE

·
Registered
4,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not really trying to be show clean I guess. I'm really trying to keep the winter weather off it this year.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
macco does one thing right... paint..... not so good wit body work... IMO get the body work done somewhere and then get it painted at maacco
like any paint job it only looks as good as the metal below

·
Registered
6,267 Posts
i worked at maaco for a day. and if there's one thing i can tell you is... the prepping and bodywork is really good (atleast the one in miami). but the quality of the paint is horrible...... it's garbage paint, and not much of it on the cars. it will fade and would be a big pain to repaint after because u would have to seal the car all over... i cant speak for all maaco's but the one in miami preps all the cars really really good even strips them to metal ifneeded and they use a sealer on every car.

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
i was the painter at maaco miami for like 2 and half months and then i left to go back to school.... and they took pride getting the cars to look good so people dont think of them as bad or cheap.....

·
Registered
6,267 Posts
Originally posted by 95rangeron14z@Oct 5 2007, 09:32 AM~8937678
i was the painter at maaco miami for like 2 and half months and then i left to go back to school.... and they took pride getting the cars to look good so people dont think of them as bad or cheap.....

what i didnt like was that they expected me to paint a complete marquis with only 2 quarts, it ran out after 2 coats....lol and then i taped up some truck too...

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
Originally posted by tRiCk oR tReAt 2@Oct 5 2007, 12:43 PM~8938321
what i didnt like was that they expected me to paint a complete marquis with only 2 quarts, it ran out after 2 coats....lol and then i taped up some truck too...

i was painting like 4- 8 cars a day depending if there was a lot to do or not.......

·
Registered
15,630 Posts
IF YOU HAD YOUR BODY WORK DONE AND TOOK THEM YOUR PAINT (DUPONT) WOUDL THAT BE WORTH IT?

·
Registered
11,982 Posts
Originally posted by 95rangeron14z@Oct 7 2007, 06:39 PM~8948901
lol... thats the worst part but i was gettin paid so.....it was just part of my job..

what do u need to work there? like do u have to be certified or whatever to paint and shit or what cause i was thinkin of puttin an application there since painting is what i like to do

·
KICK ROCKS
14,345 Posts
Originally posted by zfelix@Oct 8 2007, 02:11 PM~8953733
what do u need to work there? like do u have to be certified or whatever to paint and shit or what cause i was thinkin of puttin an application there since painting is what i like to do
I used to manage one you don't need like a degree, but a good rep and refferences helps, plus you betta like paintin a hellova lot they try and do at least 40-50 cars a week thats how they make they money off of production....with minimal flaws

·
Registered
6,267 Posts
well the maaco in miami had tons of house of kolor products on the shelf, i'm assuming that was brought in by customers for cars... but im sure if you bring in good paint it'll be worth it cause the one in miami really does good work. it's just the quality of the paint that stinks.... and it's not THAT bad cause i mean it's single stage but it's not the cheapest single stage. because i've used paint kits of single stage (hi-glo) that cost 27 bucks the full kit and still look great but won't last shit. they use higher end single stage paint though... i'd stick to bc/cc though. and they try to waste as little as possibly of supply... they have ONE mixing bucket and use clear bags to wrap it to mix the paint in.... (i hated it) lol

·
Registered
21,472 Posts
i have had a few cars painted by them back in the day,,,,,it was too bad,,,,on cutlass i had,,i did all the prep and bodywork,,and they just sprayed it,,,it turned out pretty good,no runs,good gloss,,,very little trash in paint,,,,,it really wasnt that bad.......not show quality...but,,for the price it was diffenately worth it...just be sure to take off every single bit of trim that u dont want paint on,,,,here they pay the taping/prep guys bout 6.00 bucks and hr.and they dont do too good of job

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
remember if a solid color like black, white, or red and you see like dirt in the paint they can wetsand and buff it.....

you dont need anything to work there...i had some references and they made me spray 2 blend jobs, and 2 full single stage jobs to see if i was good enough and fast enough....

·
Registered
537 Posts
I thouht you could pay more for different paint jobs there? I always thought they started at a cheap price for a regular paint job and you could pay more for something better than their base paint job and so on?

·
Registered
6,267 Posts
they offered me 9 dollars an hour to tape..... and 14 an hour to paint.... i painted one car.... came out good but i had a problem with the sealer that it didnt lay out good so it sucked the paint ina couple spots on the roof and hood... but the rest came out perfect so they wanted me to paint another car but i said no because that sealer annoyed me and mixing the paint annoyed me and the fact i can only spray 2 quarts annoyed me cause i ran out after 2 coats.... so i then started taping up cars for 9 bucks an hour did that for a day and told them forget it it wasn't worth it for me to leave school and get to the shop at 1 then leave at 4....

1 - 20 of 27 Posts