LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have heard of this done to keep oil clean of metal peices people place maglets in the lifter valley under the intake manifold

anyone ever done this know how it is done

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Best place is a along the bottom of oil pan, inside timing chain cover, inside of lifter valley, and inside of engine block skirts.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
But, if you bulid a motor the right way, you shouldn't have to worry about particles floatin' around ;) The only place I would reccommend puttin' magnets would be the oil pan plug- The best way to filter out undesired particles would be to use an oil filter screen- they're cheap, only $10 for 10.These make it easy to identify the "wreckage", and you don't have to worry about an epoxied magnet floating around freely in your shit when they decide to let go.I've been building engines as long as I've been able to hold a wrench, never heard of epoxying magnet in a motor :0

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Which one?I gotta subscription, don't remember that one :biggrin:

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
With normal engine wear, you be surprised how much metal shavings you'll find in there. You really dont even need to epoxy the magnets on, if using rare earth magnets they have enough strength to hold. Anyways, its been done for along time. It works, and is cheap insurance and helps out alot. Put some in the tranny pan too and you'll find some stick to that too.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
I might have to try that- I hope I don't find that much shit floatin' around in my baby!

·
Registered
306 Posts
diffs get real nasty too and benefit from a magnet or a diff plug magnet

·
59 imp 64 imp 77 mc
11,239 Posts
yeah you can do it, most put it on the oil pan or the magnet rings that go on the oil filters but you can mount one in the oil lifter gallery...

oh and no matter how good you build your engine its gonna wear and tear and create metal shavings...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts