LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
16,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got the wrong alt. for my 64. It's a newer internally regulated alternator. I can't figure out how to make it charge in my Impala. Someone said something about looping some wire, and grounding it out, but I don't WTF he's talking about.
NE suggestions?

·
Registered
312 Posts
Someone makes a plug for the 4 wire connector that after being unplugged off of the original external factory regulator plugs into this and connects particular wires together with jumper wires. They also make another adaptor plug to convert from the II type end on the old alternator to the -- style. Who this comapny is I do not know but I had a customer have me install an alternator that he had to go from the externally regulated model to a newr style with the internal regulator and it was in the kit he had.

If you can figure out which terminal on the new alternator takes the ignition 12 volt input then you need to find the wire on the 4 wire connector that does the same thing and then look at the remaining 3 wires colors and see which of thiose two go to the old alternators plug. I would then splice in a new end for the new alternator and connect that wire up at the alternator and make a jumper or use a butt connector to splice those two wires together at the old regulator plug.
This would now leave two wires at the old regulator plug which get connected together and the remaining wire at the old alternator plug would go to the open remaining spot on the new alternator connector.

One terminal on internally regulated alternators goes to an ignition 12 volt source to turn it on and off and the other goes to the indash GEN light.

Do some searches on google to see what turns up also.

Jim

·
Premium Member
11,540 Posts
The easy way is to not use the generator light at all. Connect the smaller lead that goes to the 2 wire alternator clip (you'll have to pick up the clip for $1) to switched 12V and run the thicker lead to the back of the alternator where the screw is. Then, run that directly to the battery.

So, the top clip will have switched 12v and Battery and the screw will have battery.

You will also likely have other connections that connect at that point to your fuse block.

You can test that this works with a voltmeter, it should be running more than 12.65V once the engine fires up. (13.5v-14.5vish)

·
Registered
47,193 Posts
im lost i put a 1 wire internal reg. alt in my car i put it on put the belt on and hooked up the wire to it and im done, works fine????

·
Premium Member
11,540 Posts
No, you can use the standard 70s 3 wire alternators. The 1 wire just runs it without the switched ignition that I mention above. I'm not a fan of 1 wire alternators, the stock Chevy 350 alternators from the 70s work just fine and only require 1 extra wire (the 12v switched ignition) :cool:

·
Registered
3,224 Posts
Originally posted by lone star@Oct 12 2006, 10:07 PM~6359142
im lost i put a 1 wire internal reg. alt in my car i put it on put the belt on and hooked up the wire to it and im done, works fine????
X2 :biggrin:

·
Registered
47,193 Posts
ok but what i did notice when i put in the 1 wire , is my generator light on the dash is on all the time....is it due to the external v-regulator not being used, i would assume so, anyways to get that light to turn off???

·
Registered
3,224 Posts
Originally posted by lone star@Oct 14 2006, 01:55 PM~6368245
ok but what i did notice when i put in the  1 wire , is my generator light on the dash is on all the time....is it due to the external v-regulator not being used, i would assume so, anyways to get that light to turn off???
Hmm my 69 Olds I went to the one wire and my gen light is off. I'm pretty sure it wont let me kno if my battery is low either. I'd unplug the bulb. :biggrin:

·
Premium Member
11,540 Posts
Originally posted by lone star@Oct 14 2006, 03:55 PM~6368245
ok but what i did notice when i put in the  1 wire , is my generator light on the dash is on all the time....is it due to the external v-regulator not being used, i would assume so, anyways to get that light to turn off???
Thats because normally the generator bulb is part of the circuit for the alternator (generator in your case) wiring. It is wired so that when the bulb does not recieve current to light when the alt/gen is charging and is lit up when it is not. Since the 1 wire alt does not go through the bulb circuit, the bulb stays on. There are a few schematics online out there that can show you the details. In fact, it was posted in this forum a year or two ago, you might find it in a search.

Again, ditch the idea of the 1 wire alt and go back to the $20 3 wire from the 70s. They make chrome housings for them too. That's how my 67 is...also if you find the above mentioned diagrams, you can properly wire up the gen light if you desire. Personally, I use the voltmeter in the car instead but you show yours so you may want it more OG :cool:

·
Registered
47,193 Posts
Originally posted by Joe6pt0@Oct 15 2006, 04:16 PM~6373379
Thats because normally the generator bulb is part of the circuit for the alternator (generator in your case) wiring. It is wired so that when the bulb does not recieve current to light when the alt/gen is charging and is lit up when it is not. Since the 1 wire alt does not go through the bulb circuit, the bulb stays on. There are a few schematics online out there that can show you the details. In fact, it was posted in this forum a year  or two ago, you might find it in a search.

Again, ditch the idea of the 1 wire alt and go back to the $20 3 wire from the 70s. They make chrome housings for them too. That's how my 67 is...also if you find the above mentioned diagrams, you can properly wire up the gen light if you desire. Personally, I use the voltmeter in the car instead but you show yours so you may want it more OG :cool:
good info thanks :cool:

·
Registered
24,862 Posts
Originally posted by trudawg@Oct 16 2006, 09:37 PM~6381658
I'm too lazy to figure it out, I just oredered the externally regulated one from Summit
let me have the other one...

3 wire?

·
Premium Member
11,540 Posts
Originally posted by trudawg@Oct 16 2006, 09:37 PM~6381658
I'm too lazy to figure it out, I just oredered the externally regulated one from Summit
Serious? Did you read my 1st post, or is my typing in all white? :biggrin:

There's only 1 wire to figure out...a switched ignition wire. The other 2 are tied to battery...its really really easy :dunno:

·
Registered
16,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Originally posted by Joe6pt0@Oct 16 2006, 10:53 PM~6382511
Serious? Did you read my 1st post, or is my typing in all white? :biggrin:

There's only 1 wire to figure out...a switched ignition wire. The other 2 are tied to battery...its really really easy :dunno:
shit started to sound like algerbra :biggrin:

1 - 20 of 47 Posts