LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pawty PePOZ!! I was just woundering if any of yall heard of anyone making a custom subwoofer box out of square metal tubing and sheet metal? Im just thinking that it would be easier then the wood/fiberglass/paint approach. Any comments would be appreciated thanks.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Metal would be a little bit heavier. Thanks for the replys so soon. Any other replys would be respected. Do yall think it would rattle like fuck?

Last edited by /\Chris/\ at Nov 29 2003, 12:07 AM

·
Registered
267 Posts
It would have to be pretty thick metal so the sides won't flex. With that in mind you also have to consider cost and weight. If these aren't an issue, I say go for it! It would be unique.

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
!/2" Aluminum sheet

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
Originally posted by JeremyD@Nov 30 2003, 10:12 PM
I know of one competitor who used 1/2" plate steel...

Is there any advantage at all over mdf? Absolutely not......
Chrome plate it ;)

·
Registered
4,128 Posts
Doesnt sound like a good idea to me......it will probably sound like a bunch of tin cans rattling and thats from the box only imagine how it would sound with the trunk and the metal box rattling......I think it will sound horrible.....just use MDF it will sounds better and it's cheaper than fiberglass

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
Originally posted by Individuals95@Dec 2 2003, 09:25 AM
Doesnt sound like a good idea to me......it will probably sound like a bunch of tin cans rattling and thats from the box only imagine how it would sound with the trunk and the metal box rattling......I think it will sound horrible.....just use MDF it will sounds better and it's cheaper than fiberglass
I hear you, but It would have to be one huge ass system to make 1/2" steel flex "or rattle." Probably would sound crappy regardless.

·
Registered
480 Posts
i wouldnt use metal but if u insist u should but mdf on the inside to make sure that it stays air tight and also doesnt rattle

·
Registered
4,868 Posts
Originally posted by /\Chris/\@Nov 28 2003, 10:44 PM
Pawty PePOZ!! I was just woundering if any of yall heard of anyone making a custom subwoofer box out of square metal tubing and sheet metal? Im just thinking that it would be easier then the wood/fiberglass/paint approach. Any comments would be appreciated thanks.
It would not sound good. Medijm Density Fiberboard (MDF) is used specifiacally for its acostical properties. Its natural resonant frequency (the wood) is around 40 HZ so you get great sound. Metals/Steel have a natural resonant frequency in the 2khz+ range depending on the density of the metal.

Hope this helped.

·
Registered
4,868 Posts
PUT THE TOOLS DOWN< YOU ALL ARE OFFICIALLY NOT INSTALLERS.

What a bunch of goofs!

·
Registered
15,195 Posts
Originally posted by S10laynframe@Dec 2 2003, 02:07 PM

What a bunch of goofs!
whats the resonancy frequency of fiberglass?

·
Registered
4,868 Posts
Originally posted by Foompla+Dec 2 2003, 10:13 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Foompla @ Dec 2 2003, 10:13 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--S10laynframe@Dec 2 2003, 02:07 PM

What a bunch of goofs!
whats the resonancy frequency of fiberglass?[/b][/quote]
that would definetly vary. Depends ont eh closth used, the materials, the resin type used, the resin mix.

Too many variables.

But most fiberglass boxes are built in conjunction with MDF board.

·
Registered
4,379 Posts
done right metal boxes can be VERY GOOD, but any one that really uses them is home audio companies, well more just one in particular I've heard about, they got like $70k, the speakers, they got some time into the research

·
Registered
4,128 Posts
Originally posted by S10laynframe@Dec 2 2003, 01:07 PM

What a bunch of goofs!
Ummmmm, yeah I am an Installer (MECP Certified) and to add to that I also work for Alpine Electronics...... :wave:

·
Registered
267 Posts
Originally posted by S10laynframe@Dec 2 2003, 10:07 AM

What a bunch of goofs!
I am. Have been for more than six years. I have done work for celebrities, several big clubs and even a sweepstakes winner. ;)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts