LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys whats up, my problem is that the gear is all the way back and it is still engaged into the flywheel a lil, i have tried shimming it and i have tapped it to make sure the gear is all the back , that didnt work so i took it back off and made sure it was all the back, if anyone has had similiar problems please let me know what you did, thanx

jeremy
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by pink63impala@Aug 20 2005, 07:38 PM~3663625
what engine /tranny you running?you sure your flywheel isnt on backwards?i run one on mine with no problems
350/turbo350 and no im not sure, but if you could tell me what to look for i could tell ya, my torque converter is in just fine and the bolts tightened rite down on the flywheel, the humps that the converter bolts to on the flywheel..... do they go toward the converter or away from the converter?? i have pix if you wanna look hit me on pm with your e,mail addy

thanx for the help
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14,848 Posts
im thinking the humps go towards the converter,its been a while since i messed with it,plus mines a 400 flywheel.but if your converter was alll the way in, there shouldnt been much of a gap between the flywheel and converter where the bolts tighten up.what brand of starter you running?maybe it is defective?mines is a powermastewr,and i believe it has two bolt pattens on it
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,195 Posts
ive been scratching my head on this one. the starter bolts to the engine, and the flywheel bolts to the engine, so the torque converter shoulnt matter. You might have a bent flywheel. The dual bolt patterns only move it closer or farther away from the midline of the engine, not front to back.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by pink63impala@Aug 21 2005, 06:42 AM~3664895
im thinking the humps go towards the converter,its been a while since i messed with it,plus mines a 400 flywheel.but if your converter was alll the way in, there shouldnt been much of a gap between the flywheel and converter where the bolts tighten up.what brand of starter you running?maybe it is defective?mines is a powermastewr,and i believe it has two bolt pattens on it

i have googled this about a thousand times and red sevceral hot rod forums and dirt track forum that have had similiar probs to mine and they all say the obviuos is the fly wheel backwards and it may be l,ol, but it all e=went toigether rite, but from what i gather the mini is so presicein fitment that it doesnt have to move like an inch nd ahlf to get to the flywheel as a regular autozone would. so several peeps are just buying the powermaster, it is the only one that has the dual pattern and this is the only one that works for the 168 tooth wheel, i beleive if i had the 153 they would no probs here. but i dont have a powermaster i have a universal, or so it says lol

thanx for the info
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Originally posted by Foompla@Aug 21 2005, 07:26 AM~3664953
ive been scratching my head on this one.  the starter bolts to the engine, and the flywheel bolts to the engine, so the torque converter shoulnt matter.  You might have a bent flywheel.  The dual bolt patterns only move it closer or farther away from the midline of the engine, not front to back.

it all ahs to do with it NOT being the usual run of the mill starter, and thats what the problemis it doesnt go far enough back outta the flywheel, but i shimmes the housing to pull the starter gear back about 1/8 in, this pulled it outta the wheel now i am getting sumwhere, hopefully it works!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,195 Posts
Originally posted by eyecandy1n2@Aug 21 2005, 03:37 PM~3665400
it all ahs to do with it NOT being the usual run of the mill starter,  and thats what the problemis it doesnt go far enough back outta the flywheel, but i shimmes the housing to pull the starter gear back about 1/8 in, this pulled it outta the wheel now i am getting sumwhere, hopefully it works!!
good luck.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Originally posted by Foompla@Aug 21 2005, 11:41 AM~3665411
good luck.
wow i cant believe i got sumthin good outta you lol j/k usually your like chuck and giving everyone a hard time or just whoring LOL, but thanx and ill let ya know how it goes ill be home in a min to out in sum more work
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
301 Posts
i had alot of problems with my mini after 3 fly wheels i took it off! it chews them up and doesnt ingage or disengae right nomatter how you shimm it, and it would be really noticable if the wheel was on backward onck you ingage it.
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top