LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Back in 91 I had a Mustang I had painted purple. I don't know much about painting cars, ok I know nothing, but I was poor and creative. What I had this guy do was paint my car silver for a base, made a template for some white and blue ribbons. Then I mixed 2 gallons of clear with maybe about a quarts of plum crazy purple, some flake and a bunch of different pearls the guy had laying around his shop.
Well I thought the car looked damn good after it was painted. People loved my paint job, back then. My question is why don't people do this instead of paying so much for real "Kandy"?
I drove the car for about a year until a dumb ass drunk driver hit it.
I took the insurance money, had the car fixed and bought some real Kandy"Organic Green" from a "Crackhead" and had it shot over a black base".
I thought the fake stuff looked as good.

Last edited by BUTTAFINGUZ at Sep 3 2003, 11:03 AM

·
Registered
949 Posts
I really don't know ,, ...!!!!
they probably have no means of experimenting for themselves,,
It's quite easy to make your own candies and pearl colours and can cost as little as 1/10 the price ..

:dunno: :dunno: :dunno: :dunno:

·
Registered
4,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So nobody has an answer, but Sabre? I was asking because I was wondering would the paint have started chiping or something a year later if it wouldn't have gotten hit.
I been thinking abount mixing some Base Dark Metalic Blue, Ice white Pearls some clear and having it shot over a black base.
Like dude said It looks good and cost alot cheaper. It must be some reason people don't do it.

·
Registered
7,516 Posts
There is candy concentrate you mix it with clear it only cost 30 dollars. What you did was pretty much the same thing.

About people do not mix there own candy alot of people are scared of painting candy and others suck at it. House of kolors is premixed for them and is a little bit easier to spray. People do get raped on prices I can get of hok candy , ppg base and clear for under 225.
And If I use candy concentrate if cost in 150 range. Real "kandy" does tend to look alittle better but not a couple of hundred dollars better.

·
Registered
7,516 Posts
Nope Hok does not have it that I know of most paint stores carry SEM candy concentrates have all the same colors as HOk but come in different names for example hok apple candy red is called candy red in SEM. Might take a 1-2 more coats than hok but it looks good and is inexpensive.

·
Registered
949 Posts
just remember candy is only transparent colour ..
many brands sell candy ,, and many brands sell concentrates ..
any there are many ways to acheive candy much cheaper than buyin the HOK premixed ..
even 2k tinters can be cut with more clear to give modest effects ..

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
to be honest, i would think that it might have a reaction if mixed together. it would be a pain to sand it all off and have wasted material, so i never tried it. :dunno:

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
**** I have 6 different colors of HOK Kandy Concentrates myself .. I mix these all by hand for airbrush work & its cheaper that you think .......Its only $22 or so ... It can mix up a gallon with just a bottle but then you can mix it however you want .....I like mixing it with HOK SG-100 intercoat clear because it dries fast for airbrush work otherwise I mix it with Urethane Clear.......Damn near all HOK paints are intermixable to truely get that custom look .....KandyRedLac stated that this wasnt available but i know different...( HOK products are different from the rest -- They have pioneered the way in Custom/kandy paints so you know you can trust the quality ).. I used to live by House Of Kolor --when i lived in Mpls & I used to skip school ( Sanford & South , for those who know where im coming from !! )& make my way by the shop , Even tho everytime they saw me they sent me packing !!!! Kept telling me to go to school so i can learn to paint......I talked to "cosmo" last june & we talked about my grandpa who used to paint some signs by hand with him ......I have used alot of the products & I will continue until im outta here ....... These guys have alot of products available : COASTAIRBRUSH.COM .. The # is : 714-635-6785 -- They have what you need ....... This is all the info you need .......BOB_T

1 - 10 of 10 Posts