LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i started my own car audio mobile installation business and im seriously in love with everythign car audio so to get certified i checked out MOBILE DYANMICS in phoenix arizona im gonna sign up just wanted to know if any one here has gone ther and any advise i can get before i sign up they have alot of perks like 50% on rockford fosgate products for the first year job placement

·
Registered
104 Posts
Are you going there just to get certification? I didnt have to go to anything to get certified I just studied the book and took the test and passed. best thing to do is just study study study. dont waste your money you can learn on your own and get certified. :cool: :cool: :cool:

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
YES JUST FOR CERTIFICATION

ARE YOU FKN SERIOUS DUDE?? THEY TOLD ME I COULD ONLY GET CERTIFIED THRU THEM WERE WOULD I GET THE BOOKS TO STUDY??
IS THE TEST HARD WHAT DOES IT CONSIST OF IF I CAN SAVE 8K IM ALL FOR IT U KNOW ESPECIALLY IF I DONT HAVE TO GO AND JUST STUDY I MEAN THATS NO PRB

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks you can you tell me what the firs ttest is mainly about

·
Registered
104 Posts
ohms law, resistors, relays, wiring (series, parallel), diodes, current, capacitors. voltage, transistors, and much much more. Just order the book and study it theres alot to learn. The book is worth it.

·
2GUNZ
28,221 Posts
IF I HAD THE MONEY AND CHANCE, I KNOW THAT DAVE THE FISHMAN HAD A CLASS THAT HE TAUGHT. AND THAT WOULD BE WORTH EVERY CENT BECAUSE HE GOT PASS ALL THE BASIC SHIT THAT YOU REALLY AS AN INSTALLER DO NOT NEED. HE GOES INTO FABRICATION, AND FIBERGLASSING, MOTORIZATION. THINGS LIKE THAT.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thats what im trying to learn that $$$$$ makin shit ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Originally posted by BIG DIRTY@Jan 20 2010, 05:45 PM~16353674
IF I HAD THE MONEY AND CHANCE, I KNOW THAT DAVE THE FISHMAN HAD A CLASS THAT HE TAUGHT.  AND THAT WOULD BE WORTH EVERY CENT BECAUSE HE GOT PASS ALL THE BASIC SHIT THAT YOU REALLY AS AN INSTALLER DO NOT NEED.  HE GOES INTO FABRICATION, AND FIBERGLASSING, MOTORIZATION. THINGS LIKE THAT.
HE CAN ALSO SHOW YOU HOW EVERYTHING HE BUILDS FALLS APART SOON AFTER. :biggrin:
I GOT CERTIFIED 12 YEARS AGO, BECAUSE MY WORK WOULD GIVE US MORE MONEY, I LET IT EXPIRE AND NEVER TOOK THE TEST AGAIN. IF YOU HAVE TO HAVE IT FOR YOU JOB, THEN DO IT. BUT HANDS ON KNOWLEDGE IS THE BEST WAY TO LEARN. THEY CAN'T TEACH YOU THAT IN A BOOK. ;) .

·
2GUNZ
28,221 Posts
Originally posted by cl1965ss@Jan 22 2010, 01:38 PM~16375910
HE CAN ALSO SHOW YOU HOW EVERYTHING HE BUILDS FALLS APART SOON AFTER. :biggrin:
I GOT CERTIFIED 12 YEARS AGO, BECAUSE MY WORK WOULD GIVE US MORE MONEY, I LET IT EXPIRE AND NEVER TOOK THE TEST AGAIN. IF YOU HAVE TO HAVE IT FOR YOU JOB, THEN DO IT. BUT HANDS ON KNOWLEDGE IS THE BEST WAY TO LEARN. THEY CAN'T TEACH YOU THAT IN A BOOK. ;) .
EVERYTHING HE BUILDS FALLS APART........... :cheesy:

HONESTLY..BESIDES RICHARD CLARK, MAYBE HARRY KIMURA. NO ONE WAS A BETTER BUILDER THEN DAVE FISHMAN. BUT YEAH HE WAS MECP CERTIFIED, BUT HE HAS A SPOT CALLED THE FISHCAMP, IT IS LIKE 1 WEEK COURSE, ALL THE BASICS

OLD SCHOOL
CHECK OUT THE FISHTANK IN THE HEADLIGHTS
ANOTHER

·
Registered
107 Posts
Originally posted by ILUVMY82@Jan 21 2010, 11:07 PM~16372066
thats what im trying to learn that $$$$$ makin shit ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
you arent going to make money doing custom fabrication. the money is in getting alarm/ remote starts, headunits, 4 speakers amp installs down to as fast as you can do them with out sacrificing quality.

you will almost always lose money on custom shit.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
i agree the money is in doing the quick easy shit when doing custom work you divide the time and amount you made and per hour its not much i mainly do custom installs but love when its just a deck or regular wood box instead of fiberglass

Originally posted by Phillybagged63@Jan 22 2010, 09:53 PM~16381762
you arent going to make money doing custom fabrication.  the money is in getting alarm/ remote starts, headunits, 4 speakers amp installs down to as fast as you can do them with out sacrificing quality.
you will almost always lose money on custom shit.

·
2GUNZ
28,221 Posts
Originally posted by 4pumpedTLon20s@Jan 24 2010, 04:06 PM~16395177
i agree the money is in doing the quick easy shit when doing custom work you divide the time and amount you made and per hour its not much i mainly do custom installs but love when its just a deck or regular wood box instead of fiberglass
I MEAN FOR A SHOP LIKE BEST BUY, OR CIRCUIT CITY. BUT IT HAS BEEN A WHILE SINCE I WORKED IN A SHOP. WE GOT PAID SALARY, AND THE JOBS WERE BASICALLY BID ON AND TIMED OUT BY THE EMPLOYER, AND YOU HAD TO KEEP A TIGHT SCHEDULE. IF YOU FINISHED EARLY YOU GOT A BONUS. BUT WE DID MOSTLY CUSTOM INSTALLS. WE HAD A JOURNEYMAN THAT DID SMALL SIDE INSTALLS. I STARTED THERE, BUT I WAS SUPER QUICK AT WIRE RUNNING AND TAKING A CAR APART. CONCEPT IDEALS AND POWER DISTRIBUTION. SO I GOT MOVED UP PRETTY QUICK. BUT WE GOT PAID THE JOB, NOT THE TIME. BUT IF YOU RAN OVER, THAT WAS YOUR ASS

·
Registered
107 Posts
ive done it all and i made more money doing remote starts and alarms than anything else. custom shit takes longer, more materials, versus some solder and wire for a remote start install. plus you can get 3 remote start installs easily in a day thats quite a bit more money

chris

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
that is true the more efficient you are the more money custom shit will eat up all the time i could have been doing strictly alarms, and radios, amps speakers they are the fastest money makers so i should maybe out source the fiberglass work ??? or get a homie to do in house ? which way should i go

·
2GUNZ
28,221 Posts
Originally posted by ILUVMY82@Jan 25 2010, 09:56 PM~16409926
that is true the more efficient you are the more money custom shit will eat up all the time i could have been doing strictly alarms, and radios, amps speakers they are the fastest money makers so i should maybe out source the fiberglass work ??? or get a homie to do in house ? which way should i go
I JUST LOVE FABRICATING, AND COMING UP WITH IDEALS, DIFFERENT SHIT. NOTHING WORSE THEN SITTIN IN A BOOTH KNOWING YOU GOT TWO ALARM INSTALLS LEFT. OR SOME BULLSHIT SPEAKERS, LIKE A WASTE OF TIME. I MEAN IF YOU ARE DOING IT LOCALLY, FOR YOURSELF, THEN THERE IS MONEY, WORKING IN A SHOP, I JUST DID NOT SEE MUCH MONEY THAT WAY

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
no its locally for me otherwise i wouldnt be doing it im trying to get my name out there as the goto guy for mobile installs i wanna be the geek squad of mobile car installations have dudes in a little cars go and put in work for me !!! not me do it for best buy feel me

·
2GUNZ
28,221 Posts
Originally posted by ILUVMY82@Jan 25 2010, 10:46 PM~16410558
no its locally for me otherwise i wouldnt be doing it im trying to get my name out there as the goto guy for mobile installs i wanna be the geek squad of mobile car installations have dudes in a little cars go and put in work for me !!! not me do it for best buy feel me
YEAH THAT IS THE WAY TO DO IT HOMIE

·
Registered
768 Posts
I thought about going to that mobile dynamics school but it was waay to far, and expensive... for me to travel there but i went to the installer institute in daytona beach, i took the mecp pre-test and was able to pass it with out the studying and already working in the 12v industry for a while but i went back and retook it to score higher on the later test since it didnt count against you.

In all honesty though in the past 5-6 years or so now the money is in security and the basic everyday stuff since its hard to convince the average joe just how cash its gonna take to really trick out there ride....anyway at the many different places iv been hired at not one of them even required the mecp cert (including circuit shitty, best buy) although it does help put your name a little higher on the list then the next guy since it helps show you are a little more serious about getting the position.

Nowadays, i cant even find a place that would even hire looking for custom work or even run of the mill mobile accessories, people dont have the expendable cash and owners dont want to pay you a decent rate, but i work on law enforcement/emergency communications and emergency lighting/warning for all different agencies from city to federal and theres no better job security then working for people who waste taxpayers money :D

Sorry for the ramble but anyway im pretty sure you can take just the test at any mecp testing center, you just pay your 55 or so bucks and hope for the best.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts