LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
9,524 Posts
i have a question for you pros....
I'm building a model for my son's room, and have already painted it black. Ok my question is how do yall paint the trim thats on the car(its a 64 impala) the side trim....i tried already but man how do yall keep the lines straight....i took this pic from another topic(not mine) just using it for example.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
they dont paint it, they use bare metal foil. its thin chrome foil that you stick on there. you cut a strip the length of whatever it is you are putting it on, then you cut the excess of with an xacto blade. but get the REAL BMF, not modelmaster, its too thin.

http://www.scalelows.com/baremetal.html

that stuff there.

·
Registered
9,524 Posts
does anyone have any tips on cutting the top without damaging the paint, and also whats a good way to go about it(cutting the top) pics would help if you have any. thank you :)

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
only way to cut the top off without damaging the paint is to do it before you paint it.... even if you do it after it was painted, you still gotta do some touch up

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Originally posted by 1ofaknd@Aug 6 2005, 10:34 PM~3554286
cut it before you paint...that's the best way, lol
god damn, didnt even see your ass in here!! :biggrin:

if its plastic kit, use the back end of an xacto blade. metal, go get you a dremel.

·
Registered
21,387 Posts
Originally posted by texasgold@Aug 6 2005, 10:35 PM~3554299
yea lol.  just had a change of mind after i had already painted it
your gonna have to repaint..or at least touch it up along the windshield where you cut at

·
Registered
9,524 Posts
Originally posted by 1ofaknd@Aug 6 2005, 09:36 PM~3554304
your gonna have to repaint..or at least touch it up along the windshield where you cut at
how do you know how thick to leave the top of the windshield...or is it just a guess :)

·
Registered
21,387 Posts
Originally posted by texasgold@Aug 6 2005, 10:40 PM~3554331
thanks for the help
here's one i cut the top off of...it's a 63 but it'll give you an idea.

if you want to be exact..go measure how thick it is on a real impala and then scale it down to 1/24 scale.

·
Registered
9,614 Posts
It is possible to cut the roof after you have painted but it's really not adviseable to do so.
Tape the parts that stay there (window section, trunk section) off with masking tape to avoid damaging.
Take 2mm extra and use a razor saw to carefully cut the roof.
After that carefully file and sand the 2mm extra's using a needlefile and sandpaper sticks.
You only have to do some touch up on the inner edge of the window section that you cut. ;)

Good luck!

·
Registered
4,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Originally posted by texasgold@Aug 6 2005, 09:29 PM~3554261
does anyone have any tips on cutting the top without damaging the paint, and also whats a good way to go about it(cutting the top) pics would help if you have any.  thank you :)
use thread or thin string it works like a saw

·
Registered
9,524 Posts
well i cut the top off.....and i had some trouble cutting it, but i took my time and cut it off clean. right now i'm working on the engine and firewall detail....i would share pictures, but all i got is some camer-phone pics....i'll post them up later :)

1 - 20 of 35 Posts