LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Originally posted by Olds_racer@Nov 24 2008, 08:21 PM~12248096
This is my first time at doing anything like this, so any advice at this point is great.
I guess I'm posting this so I can try and help anyone new at this as well.
At the same time I've got some questions too.

So I start by cutting the outer lip off the arm, doing one arm at a time.

I've now cut my template close to what it needs to be.

Now heres were I got some questions, Is this how most guys have reinforced the area along side the cross shaft?

Should I cut out the factory coil pocket and just weld in a piece of pipe for the new coils to sit in?
Gonna be using 3/16 btw.
This will be going in a 64 that will get inches from time to time.

·
Registered
14,802 Posts
Originally posted by Olds_racer@Nov 25 2008, 05:39 PM~12256516
For you guys that cut out the factory coil pocket and welded in pipe,
what size I.D. pipe did you use?

im not sure what the Inner Diameter is, but its the size that is slightly larger than the coil. or u can go measure the diameter on a g body lower a arm

·
Registered
14,802 Posts
Originally posted by Olds_racer@Nov 26 2008, 12:19 AM~12260948
Maybe this will get some better results,
if anyone out there has any 2.5 through 3.5 ton coils kicking around whats the average diameter of these coils?
Or does every company make them different diameters?

shit i got a set of coils sitting at my dads lol. i might be able to get u the info ur looking for but im sure someone will beat me to the punch lol

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Just measured a chrome 3 ton at 5 3/4". I've done this before with some pipe that measures 6" id and has a 7/16" wall. This made for really tight clearance, so you have to have your geomatry just right. What's the wall thickness on the pipe you've got?

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Originally posted by westcoaststyle@Nov 26 2008, 08:22 PM~12269340
Just measured a chrome 3 ton at 5 3/4".  I've done this before with some pipe that measures 6" id and has a 7/16" wall.  This made for really tight clearance, so you have to have your geomatry just right.  What's the wall thickness on the pipe you've got?
Well if the average is 5 3/4 I'm laughing at 6 1/4, I'm using 1/4 wall thickness, should be more then enough, thanks Westcoast.

Originally posted by seven509@Nov 26 2008, 08:55 PM~12269734
ARE U TRYING TO MAKE IT DEEPER SO U CAN FIT DA HOLE STACK :dunno:  :confused: LMK
I'm not tryin to make it any deeper, I'm just gonna butt the pipe into my bottom plate, that way its a full 6 1/4 I.D. the whole way instead of it tapering in like the factory pocket does.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Anyways got a little more done last night and tonight.

Got the base of the pocket cut out so I could quickly test fit the lower plate.

The lower plate, just need to clean up the edges a bit more and a little tweaking for the portion to go around the bushings.

Tonight I quickly cut the opening for the pipe, I cut it a little smaller so I can make sure its a tight fit and that way there won't be a large gap to weld up.

Hopefully some more tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Originally posted by Olds_racer@Nov 25 2008, 04:39 PM~12256516
For you guys that cut out the factory coil pocket and welded in pipe,
what size I.D. pipe did you use?

1/4

·
Face Puncher
25,975 Posts
Heres how I do those. The bottom plate is 2 pieces.

lol

1 - 20 of 38 Posts