LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to put in a battery for my system so would i have to get a charger or something for it or could i hook it up to the front and run it off of the same charger?

·
Registered
807 Posts
You have 2 options....

1. You can get two of the same type batteris, one for the starter and one for the secondary. Simply wire it parallel with the existing charging system.

2. You can use a standard starting battery, and then a different type of battery for the secondary. Wire it up much in the same manner, but you must use an isolater with it. This seperates it from the primary battery, making your stereo only draw off of the secondary.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by JeremyD@Oct 12 2003, 08:57 AM
You have 2 options....

1. You can get two of the same type batteris, one for the starter and one for the secondary. Simply wire it parallel with the existing charging system.

2. You can use a standard starting battery, and then a different type of battery for the secondary. Wire it up much in the same manner, but you must use an isolater with it. This seperates it from the primary battery, making your stereo only draw off of the secondary.
if i did it the first way would the second battery have juice taken out of it when the car starts? if i use way 2 would i still wire them in parallel?

·
2GUNZ
28,221 Posts
Originally posted by JeremyD@Oct 12 2003, 08:57 AM
You have 2 options....

Always use an Isolator, it will put the same load on you batteries, but if your system plays off the two batteries, then your car will not start if you drain your batteries. If you have a Isolator, it will charge the primary battery, then when the primary is fully charged, it will charge only the secondary battery. If you wire them in Parellel, both batteries will discharge at the same time. I would use the same brand of battery for both batteries though, if you don't then you system will remember what it charged, and a memory will be developed.

·
2GUNZ
28,221 Posts
Originally posted by JeremyD+Oct 12 2003, 10:42 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (JeremyD @ Oct 12 2003, 10:42 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--dirtywhiteboy66@Oct 12 2003, 05:16 PM
Always use an Isolator
You don't always need an isolator. It is a good idea when running multiple batteries, but not a necessity when you run multiples of the same battery....[/b][/quote]
I have always recommended to customers to use Isolators, for the exact reason that I have stated. You are just putting a heavier strain on your Alternator when you wire two batteries. Actually it is pretty stupid to wire to batteries in Parellel unless you are planning on competing in competition, and that would not be just two batteries.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Originally posted by dirtywhiteboy66+Oct 13 2003, 06:26 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (dirtywhiteboy66 @ Oct 13 2003, 06:26 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by [email protected] 12 2003, 10:42 PM
<!--QuoteBegin--dirtywhiteboy66
@Oct 12 2003, 05:16 PM
Always use an Isolator

You don't always need an isolator. It is a good idea when running multiple batteries, but not a necessity when you run multiples of the same battery....
I have always recommended to customers to use Isolators, for the exact reason that I have stated. You are just putting a heavier strain on your Alternator when you wire two batteries. Actually it is pretty stupid to wire to batteries in Parellel unless you are planning on competing in competition, and that would not be just two batteries.[/b][/quote]
Multiple batts with or without are an additional strain on the alt, I won't argue that.

All an isolater does is prevent the batteries from fighting for current against one another.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Originally posted by dirtywhiteboy66@Oct 13 2003, 08:26 AM
You are just putting a heavier strain on your Alternator when you wire two batteries. Actually it is pretty stupid to wire to batteries in Parellel unless you are planning on competing in competition, and that would not be just two batteries.
so how do you wire multiples then without doing it parallel

Series???

give examples Thanks

·
2GUNZ
28,221 Posts
Originally posted by tenxo+Oct 15 2003, 01:09 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (tenxo @ Oct 15 2003, 01:09 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--dirtywhiteboy66@Oct 13 2003, 08:26 AM
You are just putting a heavier strain on your Alternator when you wire two batteries.  Actually it is pretty stupid to wire to batteries in Parellel unless you are planning on competing in competition, and that would not be just two batteries.
so how do you wire multiples then without doing it parallel

Series???

give examples Thanks[/b][/quote]
You would have to actually wire Series, then Parellel the batteries.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I dont understand how though...

I plan on using a new deep cycle in the front and one in the back same bats. with this>>>>> pac-200 relay at bottom right of page on link below

http://www.wholesaleaudio.com/pac.html

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...&category=14932

so how do I wire it series then parrallel.

Thanks P.S> can i use like a good brand deep cycle like die hard instead of buying those yellow tops, which cost about $120.00 a piece compared to a regular deep cycle for about $75.00 a piece

Last edited by tenxo at Oct 17 2003, 12:19 PM

·
Registered
4,868 Posts
Originally posted by omaharidah@Oct 11 2003, 12:08 PM
I want to put in a battery for my system so would i have to get a charger or something for it or could i hook it up to the front and run it off of the same charger?
If you were hell bent on it, ou could go with a battery isolator

If you are looking for one or interested, hit me up, I have a 130 amp max isolator and all the wiring. PM me ifn you have any Q's

·
Registered
202 Posts
CHeck it if I use the same bats. and no isolator what are good bats.

everyone says yellowtops are good but can it be used to replace the starting bat. and then another yellow top in the trunk?

some else told me it cant be used to replace the bat. up front cause it is deep cycle and not made for that purpose.

I need to know two things:

1. Can the yellow top be used up front then another in back and if so no isolator and wire it parallel with 1/0 guage from positive and the same from negative to the yellow top in back????

2. Is there other bats that can be used that aint as expensive like a die hard or interstate deep cycle that would be just as good and when compare these bats what is the most important thing, e.g. CCA, CA, reserve, Ah, etc...

Thanks need to know right away my car bat died to day after 15 mins of listening to the radio with the car off, that sucked, but glad i found out it was at the end of its life before I installed the new stuff...thanks for the help

1 - 13 of 13 Posts