LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
16,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
its a boss chaos 550 (800 peak mosfet) sounds good, and im running 2 pioneer 400 peak power 10's on it, with a kenwood reciever.

well when i hooked up my ride (2002 ford focus) i was runnin a 150.2 lightning audio amp (power by rockford ) with 2 10 inch rockfords. i bought the 2 pioneer 10's for 30 bucks (with a probox box) and then i traded my rf 10's and my Lighing amp for the boss amp and at first it didnt over heat or anything and it ran good. i mounded it to the fold down back seat and it over heats regardless if the seat is open or closed. and i dont know why

can someone please help?

·
HOME BREWED, NO HELP
15,756 Posts
#1 its a boss
# 2 . see above....

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Originally posted by candymancaddy@Aug 27 2006, 05:55 PM~6054020
#1  its a boss
# 2 . see above....
lol this could be true

they recommend to mount amps on a verticle surface if in the trunk at have space in front of the amp so that air can move over it's fins... also, check your gains, your grounds (weak grounds will cause your amp to get warm from my experience) and your wiring... if you have a pinched speaker wire and its making slight contact with metal, then your amp will get hot and go into protection...

i had the same problem back when i was rockin power acoustik and it was a pinched speaker wire...

·
Registered
16,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
right now i have it to where my speakers arent jumping out their box

i have the gain and frequency set to where you can hear a nice bass tone

my homeboy had that same amp in his caddy and it never over heated on him

i think im going to buy a new amp kit and mount it elsewhere and see if the problem persist

i know its a boss amp but it pushes alot of bass

ima reground it in a little bit and see how it performs

·
Registered
16,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
so like do i un bridge the subs and then add a little more gain?

cuz ima try it and see how that works and how it handles

·
Registered
16,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I RAN THOSE SUBS BRIDGE TOGETHER

SO I HAD LEFT POSITIVE AND RIGHT NEGATIVE RUNNIN TO EACH SUB

·
Registered
4,868 Posts
Originally posted by Sleepy G@Aug 28 2006, 08:50 PM~6062827
I RAN THOSE SUBS BRIDGE TOGETHER

SO I HAD LEFT POSITIVE AND RIGHT NEGATIVE RUNNIN TO EACH SUB

regardless of how you ran them, we need to know the ohm load per sub and what your amp can handle

IE:

(2) DVC 4 OHM subs

and your amp says "2 Ohm stable stereo"

Now that you have an example we need the specifics or the model #'s to actually give you any useful information.

·
Registered
16,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
CH550
2 Channel MOSFET Bridgeable Power Amplifier
with Remote Subwoofer Level Control

Max power, 2 ohm
400w x 2

RMS power, 4 ohm
125w x 2

Bridged Power, 4 OHM
800w x 1

Signal-to-noise-ratio
102 dB

THD
0.01%

Dimensions, LxWxH
11 1/4” x 11 3/8” x 2 11/16”

the info on my amp

·
Registered
4,868 Posts
Originally posted by Sleepy G@Aug 28 2006, 09:35 PM~6063069
CH550 
2 Channel MOSFET Bridgeable Power Amplifier 
with Remote Subwoofer Level Control

Max power, 2 ohm
400w x 2

RMS power, 4 ohm
125w x 2

Bridged Power, 4 OHM
800w x 1

Signal-to-noise-ratio
102 dB

THD
0.01%

Dimensions, LxWxH
11 1/4” x 11 3/8” x 2 11/16”

the info on my amp
and what brand/model subs?

·
Registered
16,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
2 pioneer TS-W10C subs

·
Registered
873 Posts
thats your problem, you have single voice coil 4 ohm tens and your trying to run them at 2ohms bridged.
unwire your subs, run one to each channel instead of bridged. it wont sound nearly as good, but your going to fry that amp eventually the way you have them hooked up.

·
Registered
16,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Originally posted by BigDaddyHustle@Aug 28 2006, 10:57 PM~6063157
thats your problem, you have single voice coil 4 ohm tens and your trying to run them at 2ohms bridged.
unwire your subs, run one to each channel instead of bridged. it wont sound nearly as good, but your going to fry that amp eventually the way you have them hooked up.

im runnin them un bridge right now and you can tell the difference :( but o well ill get me some better shit later on

i was think of switching to a bandpass instead of my probox or putting those 10's in my cutty and buying one 10 that will sound good with that boss amp

what would u recommend for that amp? im trying not to break the bank

·
Registered
16,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
so basically i need something that pushes 400 rms at 4 ohms bridge and/or a sub thats 800 peak bridge and 4 ohms?

·
Registered
16,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
im thinking one Pioneer 12" TSW301R (800 peak, 150 rms, 4 ohm) 80 bucks

or a kenwood 10'' KFC-W2510 (800 peak, 350rms,4ohm) 100 bucks

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
if you want to run with just 1 sub, go for something like kicker L7, jl, or higher end rockford. same for the amp. you get what you pay for. i run 1 12"rockford HX2 and 800 watt rockford amp in my acura and i never had a problem and it sounds great.

·
Registered
4,868 Posts
Originally posted by Sleepy G@Aug 28 2006, 10:01 PM~6063189
im runnin them un bridge right now and you can tell the difference :( but o well ill get me some better shit later on
i was think of switching to a bandpass instead of my probox or putting those 10's in my cutty and buying one 10 that will sound good with that boss amp

what would u recommend for that amp? im trying not to break the bank

well if u kept those subs, you would need an amp that is stable @ 2 ohm mono, preferrably a moboblock class D amp.

I think a JBL BP600.1 or a Directed 600D would easily make those cones bang!

Now if you went with new subs, I would choose a decent sub that had Dual (4) ohm voice coils. That would expand your wiring options, which would in turn expand the amps you could use.

·
Registered
873 Posts
hehe, im gonnaget some shit for this, but i dont give a fuck.
if your lookin for a ghettobudget ass 10 that still beats hard, pick up one of those mtx RT-10'S. you can pick them up on ebay sometimes for .99
everyone hates mtx and i do for the most part, but i have 2 of those RT's and i really like them for budget beat. i got both of mine for a combined price of 25$ shipped and i know i could turn around and sell them to some punk kid for more than that.
budget amps, you know im gonna recommend a planet audio refurb off ebay. 850w monoblock amp, http://cgi.ebay.com/PLANET-AUDIO-850-WATT-...7QQcmdZViewItem
little over 100$. nice amp, i have the 1250 of the same series and love it, plus it leaves a little room for you to upgrade your subs later.

http://cgi.ebay.com/MTX-RT10-04-10-400W-CA...1QQcmdZViewItem
there is an mtx rt-10, its a ghetto ass sub, i have them tho and i beat the shit out of them and they do hit a little bit in the right enclosure. im gonna take some shit for recommending these probably, but as i said in other posts, i wouldnt recommend anything i wouldnt use myself. if your looking for something very cheap that beats, the mtx rt-10 will do well.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts