LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Paying Dues
4,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mr. Joe Ray,

My name is Tyrone Chatman and I'm a lowrider enthusiast. I had the pleasure of meeting you on two different occasions. The first, was in '01 or '02 during a show in Indianapolis, Indiana. The second, during the '05 Super Show in Las Vegas. I walked up to you, and to my surprise, you rememberd me from the Indianapolis show. Your club, Lifestyle, was selling posters that year and I asked if I could have all club members sign it for me. Lifestyle obliged me. And I was forever greatful.

I have lots of respect for you, Lifestyle Car Club, Lowrider Magazine, and lowriding as a whole, but there's one issue that I do have with Lowrider Magazine; the avoidance/exclusion of the history Crenshaw Boulevard.

Those who have read Lowrider Magazine throughout the years are very familiar with Whittier Boulevard, but not Crenshaw. For those who live outside of L.A. in order for them to learn about Crenshaw they had to rely on Young Hogg, Cali' Swangin', or rap music videos in order to learn the significance Crenshaw Boulevard has in the history of lowriding. The only lowrider based magazine to ever do an article on Crenshaw Boulevard was Scrape (now defunct) based out of New York. As a long-time reader of Lowrider Magazine, I found this insulting. How could an upstart lowrider magazine come into Lowrider Magazines back yard and produce an article on Crenshaw Boulevard before Lowrider Magazine did? Although that magazine came out over ten years ago, Lowrider Magazine has yet to print an article on the lowriding history of Crenshaw Boulevard. I would like to know, Mr. Ray, why is Crenshaw Boulevard being disregarded by Lowrider Magazine in the history of lowriding?

Although I'm a Black/African-American, I don't want to say it's a racial issue. I would like to think there are no color lines in lowriding or Lowrider Magazine. As you know, lowriding is worldwide. So, there's no need for color lines. Just the love of this lifestyle is all that should matter.

Mr. Ray, I pray that you (and your staff) place some thought and consideration into my words. There are others that feel the same way, but may have never reached out to you (or Lowrider Magazine) to express themselves.

Thank you. And may God bless you.

Tyrone M. Chatman, Jr.

I agree with you and I will take care of it. There are a lot of other storied cruising locations that also are never mentioned Thanks man keep in touch God Bless

Joe Ray
Source Interlink Media
Editor
Lowrider Magazine
P# 714-939-3738
www.lowridermagazine.com

I'm very surprised at how quickly he responded. Mr. Ray, if you're reading this, thank you!

·
Registered
4,756 Posts
nice job tyrone, hey you still keep in contact with hector???

·
Paying Dues
4,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by devious syn@Jan 12 2009, 09:16 AM~12678620
nice job tyrone, hey you still keep in contact with hector???
Haven't spoken to Hector in well over a year. You need to get in touch with him?

·
DON"T STOP NOW
393 Posts
Sounds good to me.. He makes a good point about every city having a cruise spot that's never been featured in LRM.

·
Registered
7,918 Posts

·
Registered
4,756 Posts
Originally posted by Tyrone@Jan 12 2009, 10:18 AM~12678633
Haven't spoken to Hector in well over a year. You need to get in touch with him?
i wsa going to have him do a roof for me on a lincoln but dont know yet. hows everything going with you?? :cool:

·
Paying Dues
4,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally posted by devious syn@Jan 12 2009, 09:24 AM~12678671
i wsa going to have him do a roof for me on a lincoln but dont know yet. hows everything going with you??  :cool:
Out here in Las Vegas trying to make it. How are you?

·
Paying Dues
4,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Originally posted by ogbrkboy@Jan 12 2009, 09:20 AM~12678645
Sounds good to me..  He makes a good point about every city having a cruise spot that's never been featured in LRM.
And I'm very sure there are many cruise spots that've never been featured/mentioned in the pages of LRM. But many of us know about Crenshaw. Crenshaw has been cruised since the '70's (or earlier), but never an article featured in LRM.

·
Paying Dues
4,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Originally posted by TRUDAWG@Jan 12 2009, 09:20 AM~12678647
Pro-active-ness :thumbsup:
Honestly, 'Tru', you pushed me to do it. Thanks for the push.

·
Registered
4,756 Posts
Originally posted by Tyrone+Jan 12 2009, 10:31 AM~12678703-->
Out here in Las Vegas trying to make it. How are you?
[/b]
yeah i feel ya, hows your car going?? is it done?
im good. up in waukegan doing my thang. you know trying to get the whip ready for this year, :cheesy:

<!--QuoteBegin-Tyrone
@Jan 12 2009, 10:33 AM~12678716
And I'm very sure there are many cruise spots that've never been featured/mentioned in the pages of LRM. But many of us know about Crenshaw. Crenshaw has been cruised since the '70's (or earlier), but never an article featured in LRM.
i cant beleive they havent done anything on a main spot people have talked about, been in vidoes,etc. :uh: its like a staple in the history if lowriding, some people just really dont know i guess huh :(

·
Paying Dues
4,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Originally posted by Rod Stewart@Jan 12 2009, 09:43 AM~12678772
that would be a cool monthly feature - cruise/hot spots in a different city.

:cool:
You know what's funny, Rod, is that Lowrider Japan has done monthly feature on Crenshaw Boulevard. They've done articles on the who's-who of Crenshaw Boulevard lowriding. Yet, Lowrider Magazine hasn't. Doesn't make any sense to me. So, that's another reason why I emailed him. Didn't want to continue bitching/moaning about it. Contact the one person (Joe Ray) that can change all of that.

·
Forever Young
10,450 Posts
Originally posted by Tyrone@Jan 12 2009, 09:57 AM~12678858
You know what's funny, Rod, is that Lowrider Japan has done monthly feature on Crenshaw Boulevard. They've done articles on the who's-who of Crenshaw Boulevard lowriding. Yet, Lowrider Magazine hasn't. Doesn't make any sense to me. So, that's another reason why I emailed him. Didn't want to continue bitching/moaning about it. Contact the one person (Joe Ray) that can change all of that.
from what i've gathered the japanese are more in tune with lowridin' than most here! :cool:

good email you sent to dude - i know ad sales are down and the mags are struggling financially. something like city cruise spots, major articles on places such as the shaw could spark more interest in the mag itself. possibly get back those who ditched the mags for too many ads (which equals $) and not enough content. :dunno:

·
Paying Dues
4,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Originally posted by devious syn@Jan 12 2009, 09:49 AM~12678800
yeah i feel ya, hows your car going?? is it done?
im good. up in waukegan doing my thang. you know trying to get the whip ready for this year,  :cheesy:
i cant beleive they havent done anything on a main spot people have talked about, been in vidoes,etc.  :uh: its like a staple in the history if lowriding, some people just really dont know i guess huh  :(
My car isn't going. Trying to sell it.

I can't believe it either. Hopefully my email will make a difference.

·
Paying Dues
4,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Originally posted by Gorilla Bob@Jan 12 2009, 09:57 AM~12678860
I'd like to see the mag get more "street"
Right. Like Street Customs and Lowridaz use to be. I'm just one man. Can't do it alone. Need the support of those here and those who read Lowrider magazine to let their voices be heard so there can be change.

·
Registered
4,756 Posts
Originally posted by Gorilla Bob@Jan 12 2009, 10:57 AM~12678860
yeah no kidding bob, hope all is well with the famo up in the big L :cheesy:

Originally posted by Tyrone@Jan 12 2009, 11:05 AM~12678913
My car isn't going. Trying to sell it.

I can't believe it either. Hopefully my email will make a difference.
:0 :( oh i didnt know that, sorry to hear that
yeah im sure it will :cool:

·
Registered
6,388 Posts
Originally posted by Gorilla Bob@Jan 12 2009, 10:57 AM~12678860

:thumbsup: THAT'S FOR SURE, IT'S BECOME MORE OF AN ADS MAGAZINE....I REMEMBER READING & VIEWING COUNTLESS PAGES OF ARTICLES & PICS BACK IN THE DAY.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts