LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey homies, after much thought I have decided i want to build my own lolo from the ground up...
i dont really have deep enuf pockets or the extreme desire to do an old school impala, i was really thinking of a 78-79 coupe deville...
i would like to buy a bucket kinda and just have the body straightend out and sprayed just like a nice red blue or black nothing too crazy
id like to roll a new 350 crate engine w/ a trubo 350 tranny (probably no a/c or bull shit in the engine compartment)
id take it off the frame my self, paint it and clean it up and probably reinforce it
and id like a fresh interior
possibly a little chrome (not too much)
how much would that cost (ball park range)
i just want a clean ass lolo that isnt too radical show status but isnt a beater that i could probably drive up to the super show like i did in my old limo :cool:
but my budget is probably like 10 gs mabey a little more mabey less :cool:
thanks for all advise and if you have any advise on how to save money please tell thanks

evan

G

·
Originally posted by low4life86@Aug 27 2006, 04:18 AM~6051624
hey homies, after much thought I have decided i want to build my own lolo from the ground up...
i dont really have deep enuf pockets or the extreme desire to do an old school impala, i was really thinking of a 78-79 coupe deville...
i would like to buy a bucket kinda and just have the body straightend out and sprayed just like a nice red blue or black nothing too crazy
id like to roll a new 350 crate engine w/ a trubo 350 tranny (probably no a/c or bull shit in the engine compartment)
id take it off the frame my self, paint it and clean it up and probably reinforce it
i just want a clean ass lolo that isnt too radical show status but isnt a beater that i could probably drive up to the super show like i did in my old limo  :cool:
but my budget is probably like 10 gs mabey a little more mabey less  :cool:
thanks for all advise and if you have any advise on  how to save money please tell thanks

evan

thats a good car to choose as your project. especially with the amount of money you are willing to spend.

as far as the engine goes, you can get a GMPP 290hp crate engine for 1400-1600 bux, its all brand new. by the time you add intake, carb, aircleaner, WP, ALT and the rest of the essentials to make it run, your looking at another 600 bux. But this is where you want to spend your money at, because you need it to run good and reliable, as for the transmission, you can get a B&M or TCI for around 800, they have a series dedicated to daily driven cars, or you can get them from some other rebuilders even cheaper. or you can find a low milage 350, I personally have one with 19k miles out of my 76 impala, and the original trans too. the engine is turnkey, its complete with everything, trans is still connected. I would be willing to sell at a reasonable price.

you should go ahead and purchase new weatherstripping, that way, when its painted you can remove all the rubber for a cleaner paint job, and install new rubber once its back from paint and cleaned up really good. find a good painter, if you are worried about time, take it to a good dealership bodyshop, they usually have good warranties on paint, they suck at restoration paint jobs and classic car body work all together, but if you have a good car to start with and all it needs is a repaint, it might be a good choice.

wheels, well, you know how cheap chinas are, and how expensive daytons are, zeniths are in the middle in price (but better quality), i'd roll them over daytons anyway, but if the project consumes alot of your money, shit get chinas, its only wheels, you can upgrade anytime later as money seems fit.

REMEMBER those cars were the top of the line luxury, and you can still find them from the original owner in GREAT condition (im looking for one myself) spend more money and buy a nice car, you can find them that DO NOT need a frame off, and looking hard enough will find you a car that will not need new interior, maybe a new carpet and rear package tray covered, MAYBE a headliner at most, but not 100% redone, that will save alot of money, and also allow you more money to find a nicer car. you would be suprised how nice it can look by just pulling the front clip off, cleaning the frame, and sanding down the factory welds and painting it all black and putting in a new engine. Most of the time, you dont need to pull it off the frame.

then again, you can buy a bucket also, but if it has rusted suspension, its gonna need all the rebuilt most likely, if you buy something that has been a 1 owner car and kept up and fully maintained, you shouldnt need a suspension rebuild.

·
Registered
527 Posts
I agree with Tattoo-76,spend the little extra when you buy the car and it will save you a lot of money later.No need for a frame off unless your going to show it.just my 2cents :thumbsup: :puffin:

·
Registered
47,193 Posts
So keep thinking that I dont have a car, and keep thinking I cant build a car, and keep thinking I am not shit. Just be prepared to face reality because its gonna hurt.

:0 :0

G

·
Originally posted by lone star@Aug 27 2006, 04:58 PM~6053586
So keep thinking that I dont have a car, and keep thinking I cant build a car, and keep thinking I am not shit. Just be prepared to face reality because its gonna hurt.

:0  :0
Rumors, man its fucked up how someone who rode in my car would tell someone else I dont even have a car. :biggrin: ;)

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Originally posted by TATTOO-76+Aug 27 2006, 12:37 AM~6051686-->
thats a good car to choose as your project. especially with the amount of money you are willing to spend.

as far as the engine goes, you can get a GMPP 290hp crate engine for 1400-1600 bux, its all brand new. by the time you add intake, carb, aircleaner, WP, ALT and the rest of the essentials to make it run, your looking at another 600 bux. But this is where you want to spend your money at, because you need it to run good and reliable, as for the transmission, you can get a B&M or TCI for around 800, they have a series dedicated to daily driven cars, or you can get them from some other rebuilders even cheaper. or you can find a low milage 350, I personally have one with 19k miles out of my 76 impala, and the original trans too. the engine is turnkey, its complete with everything, trans is still connected. I would be willing to sell at a reasonable price.

you should go ahead and purchase new weatherstripping, that way, when its painted you can remove all the rubber for a cleaner paint job, and install new rubber once its back from paint and cleaned up really good. find a good painter, if you are worried about time, take it to a good dealership bodyshop, they usually have good warranties on paint, they suck at restoration paint jobs and classic car body work all together, but if you have a good car to start with and all it needs is a repaint, it might be a good choice.

wheels, well, you know how cheap chinas are, and how expensive daytons are, zeniths are in the middle in price (but better quality), i'd roll them over daytons anyway, but if the project consumes alot of your money, shit get chinas, its only wheels, you can upgrade anytime later as money seems fit.

REMEMBER those cars were the top of the line luxury, and you can still find them from the original owner in GREAT condition (im looking for one myself) spend more money and buy a nice car, you can find them that DO NOT need a frame off, and looking hard enough will find you a car that will not need new interior, maybe a new carpet and rear package tray covered, MAYBE a headliner at most, but not 100% redone, that will save alot of money, and also allow you more money to find a nicer car. you would be suprised how nice it can look by just pulling the front clip off, cleaning the frame, and sanding down the factory welds and painting it all black and putting in a new engine. Most of the time, you dont need to pull it off the frame.
then again, you can buy a bucket also, but if it has rusted suspension, its gonna need all the rebuilt most likely, if you buy something that has been a 1 owner car and kept up and fully maintained, you shouldnt need a suspension rebuild.
[/b]

<!--QuoteBegin-925eastbayrider
@Aug 27 2006, 08:09 AM~6052327
hey good advice tattoo-76

offer that homeles guy some money for his coupe that he sleepes in out side of my work.
yeah idk bout that coupe homie i dont A. wanna take his house and B.find some disgusting ass shit in it

but thanks for the advice tattoo 76 theres a coupe in reno with busted paint but a show room interior :cool: then mabey i could still hook up a 350 and paint on it and still take it off of the frame so its hella clean :cool:

·
Registered
14,363 Posts
Originally posted by low4life86@Aug 27 2006, 03:18 AM~6051624
i just want a clean ass lolo that isnt too radical show status but isnt a beater that i could probably drive up to the super show like i did in my old limo  :cool:
but my budget is probably like 10 gs mabey a little more mabey less  :cool:
thanks for all advise and if you have any advise on  how to save money please tell thanks

evan
you dont want to build one of those.... ;)

·
Registered
47,193 Posts
layitlow can always rely on ogtattoo and the finest on crenshaw for all their wisdom and knowledge together they bring over 30yrs of lowriding experience. great job guys.

·
Registered
24,209 Posts
Originally posted by lone star@Aug 27 2006, 06:16 PM~6054172
layitlow can always rely on ogtattoo and the finest on crenshaw for all their wisdom and knowledge together they bring over 30yrs of lowriding experience. great job guys.
:uh:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts