LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
THE REAR SECTION OF MY X FRAME HAS A HOLE ROTTED IN IT. WHILE WE WERE MOVING IT IT BENT ALITTLE, WE ARE IN THE PROCESS OF REINFORCING IT. JUST WONDERING HOW DO WE GET IT STRAIGHT AND THE MOUNT HOLES TO MATCH UP??THE FRAME IS NOT A CANADIAN FRAME THE REAR SECTION IS C CHANNEL. I WAS WONDERING IF I COULD CUT THE REAR SECTION OFF AND FABRICATE A NEW SECTION

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by PROJECT6DEUCE@Dec 10 2003, 08:22 AM
THE REAR SECTION OF MY X FRAME HAS A HOLE ROTTED IN IT. WHILE WE WERE MOVING IT IT BENT ALITTLE, WE ARE IN THE PROCESS OF REINFORCING IT. JUST WONDERING HOW DO WE GET IT STRAIGHT AND THE MOUNT HOLES TO MATCH UP??THE FRAME IS NOT A CANADIAN FRAME THE REAR SECTION IS C CHANNEL. I WAS WONDERING IF I COULD CUT THE REAR SECTION OFF AND FABRICATE A NEW SECTION
ANYONE??

·
Registered
5,147 Posts
Take it to a body shop they can put it on a frame machine to fix it.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Yes, that is exactly what the guy that built my frame did. The car had been hit and the whole rear section was bent. He cut it off right behind the camel humps and fabraicated a new section.

Put it this way, I don't talk to the guy anymore.

If you do this MAKE SURE YOU ARE a.) GOOD and b.) do it on a level floor. Evidently his wasn't and I wasted a couple grand and a whole lot of time, like several years (only working on it on weekends or any spare time, which obviously wasn't much for him).

It can be done I'm sure.....just if you do it I can't stress how important it is to make sure it is 100% right. My best bet would be to just find a new frame. Better to spend a couple hundred bucks and save a lot of time.

Let me know if you do it, hope you had better luck (or should I say craftsmanship) than I had.

·
Registered
343 Posts
i dont think it would be hard at all to build a rear esction, just make sure its level and lines up with the body mounts, i would use 2X3 box tubing, shit i've strteched frames, grafted different clips on, shortened frames, right now i am actually building a frame from scratch, the only secret is make sure it is always level and square, tack wled everything first to make sure it is square before welding it up and measue across from tire to tire, front to back, side to side and across from left rear to right front and vice versa

·
Registered
343 Posts
also before you cut off the old rear section weld a piece of 2X3 tubing across the back just in front of where you make your cut so that the frame doesnt spring apart when the back is chopped off

1 - 12 of 12 Posts