LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
here is a fiew shots ive got of my pumps.
just put in a new 4 pack of dekas also :)

alright - this is the pump/s that came with the car when I bought it. the blocks say ultimate on them. have not taken them apart to see the pumpheads inside yet. any one remember what company could of made this pump setup ? and, for some reason the dumps and solenoids and switch box is wired to the cars front battery - so the dumps are seeing 12v engine off and 14.4v engine running - along with the switches and solenoids.
weird I know

so here is a close up of my dumps. im curious if any one here can id them and also let me know if they are ok to run on 24v like everyone elses setup is, or if I can only keep sending them 12v - as thats what it says to use printed on dump.

and I know this is the crappiest pic ever - my digi camra wouldnt auto focus for the life of me in the garage light. shitty pic again sorry,

ive looked around alot and have not seen any other cylinders that have this weird hex shape at the top of them. maby they are realley old / or just odd ball cylinders but id like to know if any one can id the company that made them.

·
Registered
8,414 Posts
Pumps are from Vernon Maxwells shop in CA (used to be V-Max)

dumps are newish style Oil Systems dumps. what people refer to as 'Italians' They will be fine at 12v. but 24 would give you a slightly better response. See on the side of the solenoid, they are 12v, not 24. Saco style chinese motor. Cylinders, some companies did the caps like that so you could switch from top port to side port, (even though you gains nothing as the cylinder was still as tall as a top port with an elbow) Red's is the last company I know of that did that. But those look kinda old...

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
this is awesome info guys. thanks tremendusly !

I know its a shot in the dark - but do you think my pumps from Vernon Maxwells shop in CA (used to be V-Max) - are built for any kind of decent performence use - or is it more of a "street" setup ?

right now setup @48v to the nose the front tires just barely get off - and @60v to the nose the fronts can clear 6 or 7 inches ( all totaly limited by the weak ass 3/4 ton mini coils i have up front - and the lack of re enforcments that still need to be welded in ) - but eventually I will have a entire frame built in to the car and it will be bomb proof - and id like to be able to get hopping a foot or 3 going down the block - and was basicly wondering if my current pumps are going to be able to make that happen for me - or if im going to have to upgrade to a pro setup.

I plan on re wiring the car real soon to operate off of 24volts then.
right now I have 4 solenoids going to each pump. and have heard people say that more = not better for performence. so I was thinking of taking out 1 each - and just using 3 to each pump. - good idea or no ?

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
the high of the hop depend not only of the voltage , its a combined thing of your batteries and your pumpheads , may bee you need dissasemble your tank , its easy , only 4 nuts by side 8 nuts total , check the size of your pump heads , take a pic of this thing

·
Registered
5,105 Posts
A lot does depends on what your pump heads are,but looking at your pumps and how the tanks are attached to the block,with just the four screws,I would think that this set-up was a lay& play type set-up.If it was meant to hop or the system was going to generate a lot of pressure,it would have to have a backing plate with the long screws that screw into the block to stop the pressure from blowing off the tanks.It is a old school set-up.Pumps are just like the ones that people used to steal off the old lift gate trucks(not me of course) ;) back in the day.Hope this helps

1 - 7 of 7 Posts