LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well so far i got 2 12 gallon tanks, a 10 switch pre-wired switch box and extension which all i got from fernando, a craftsman 175 pro. compressor, a coleman 2000 watt inverter, and a lincoln 250 max psi filter with 1/2" inlet and outlet(max 150 degrees....believe this should hold up in the trunk, what do you guys think?

any how, my thing is with the compressor!!! its bad ass!!!! it takes about 7 1/2 minutes to fill up 25 gallons of air from 0-170/5 (yea thats a long time), but it only takes about 1 minute to fill up from 130-170/5. i dont know much about compressors and the time it takes them to fill up tanks, but im going to be running 24 gallons and this compressor can fill a 25 gallon tank from 130-170/5 psi in 1 minute!! umm, that good or what?

i say 170/5 because the dumb compressor is rated at 175 but shuts off at about 170/1/2..something like that.

i hooked up the compressor with the inverter to the battery on my imp, but it only worked up to about 1/3 the power its supposed to be running at. the red light indicating the power going into the inverter was too low, was on the entire time i tried it out, then after about 20 seconds or so the inverter shut down beeping the low voltage warning beep.

the battery on my impala only puts out about 675 cold cranking amps or so, so im thinking if i get maybe 2 or 3 rated at about 1000 amps each, hopefully it can handle the compressor.

im going to be getting the rest of my setup in the first week of september ($1200: 4 slam bags, 8 1/2" valves, all hose and fittings, front and rear brackets, 10 more switches that are not wired, when i get my financial aid check from school jeje..). then hopefully should have it installed and going by the end of september; my friend roberto is doing it for me.

·
Registered
4,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i know. they're only going to be filled with 175 psi max. if anything, they'll just crack open or get some kind of leak. they might leak out the air quick and loud, but nothing too dangerous. 175 psi in my opinion is nothing close to enough psi to blow up a tank to pieces. thanks though.

Last edited by Moco at Jul 28 2003, 05:29 PM

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Some kinda leak?!? You're kidding right? Depending on the rupture, 25 gallons of air trying to escape all at once can be serious as hell. But do your thing, my man, it's not like we don't ALL have some dangerous ass shit in our trunks. :biggrin:

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Anyway, were you asking about the inverter / compressor set-up a couple of weeks ago? If so I remember having concerns with the inverter being under powered. A compressor motor draws some serious amps. Was the red LOW-POWER lamp on on the inverter before you hooked up the compressor, or did it come on after you started it. It's possible that COULD be the cause also. How many amps is that compressor 'cause I'm still not feeling that 2000-W inverter?

Last edited by BOUNCIN89MERC2LOW97LHS at Jul 28 2003, 04:00 PM

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I would think It would have been easier to run a couple nice batteries and one of those Trailhead compressors than all of that stuff. or maybe engine driven compressor, but as I say "innovate dont imitate". Post some pics when you can.

·
I Dig Chix Wit Glasses!!!
14,255 Posts
got pixx?

·
Registered
4,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Originally posted by BOUNCIN89MERC2LOW97LHS@Jul 28 2003, 05:50 PM
Anyway, were you asking about the inverter / compressor set-up a couple of weeks ago? If so I remember having concerns with the inverter being under powered. A compressor motor draws some serious amps. Was the red LOW-POWER lamp on on the inverter before you hooked up the compressor, or did it come on after you started it. It's possible that COULD be the cause also. How many amps is that compressor 'cause I'm still not feeling that 2000-W inverter?
everything was good before i started the compressor up. the green LED light was on then right when i would start it the red LED light would come on. it would not run for more than maybe 20-30 seconds before the inverter would shut up and start beeping (i believe telling me the battery power was too low to handle the compressor already). i calculated how many watts the compressor requires, and it requires 1800. the inverter is 2000 with 4000 surge. it gets over the surge i know that because the compressor starts and could stay up for a while. im thinking my main problem is i need more juice to keep the voltage of the battery power supply over say 10.5+. im GOING to make it work one way or another!!

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
That's what I was trying to explain before. 2000W continuous and 4000W surge are just nominal figures. The continuous duty rating on that thing could be as low as 1700W probably, or as high as 2200W. 2000/4000 is just what the "advertising police" agreed they could claim it to be. You may want to look into a much bigger inverter. Even though they state a continuous rating, you don't want to run it that way continuously because you have to take into consideration "power differentials" and spikes in the item you're supplying power to... and electric motors (ie, the compressor) are never very consistent. I wouldn't run an inverter over 50% of it's continuous duty rating; or maybe near 75%. But 1800W on a 2000W is cutting it close.

·
Registered
4,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
aaaaaaaaaahhh damn it!!!!! well, the damnd 2000/4000 inverter was too small to run my compressor so i returned the compressor yesterday, and mailed back the inverter today.

im just going with my original plan now again, 4 compressors with at least a 175 psi switch. i can get the compressors for $150 each, thomas compressors i believe they are?

·
I Dig Chix Wit Glasses!!!
14,255 Posts
Originally posted by Moco@Aug 4 2003, 01:16 PM
aaaaaaaaaahhh damn it!!!!! well, the damnd 2000/4000 inverter was too small to run my compressor so i returned the compressor yesterday, and mailed back the inverter today.

im just going with my original plan now again, 4 compressors with at least a 175 psi switch. i can get the compressors for $150 each, thomas compressors i believe they are?
IMO, you should try the comp that Joe Bomber gotz from that one shop.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Originally posted by Moco@Aug 4 2003, 02:16 PM

Sorry to hear that it didn't work out, but like I said I was kinda having my doubts. Compressors, or ANY motor for that matter suck up massive amounts of power. Not MANY inverters can handle that. And with a compressor that big, I'm sure the lights in the house even dim when that damn thing's running. :)
Matter-of-fact, the lights in my house flickered a little earlier... did you have that damn compressor running again?

J/K :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts