LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is it possibly to rip off the old vinly or what ever it is off and not put one but on. and if it is, how much trouble is it to do

·
Registered
17,780 Posts
its kinda hard to do, if you take it off, leave it ;)

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ihrard it was hard to take off, alot of scrapping and shit, but so there goin to be any holes i got to fill in or anythink. its a 83 limited with a half top

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
mine looked pretty nasty underneath.. bit of surface rust, etc..

if your old top had cracks to where water could be trapped underneath, then expect some rustage..

then, theres to foam thats stuck to the metal.. thats a bitch to get off.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
It really depends on the car because i just took mine off my cutlass and there was no rust what so ever but i have taken others off and seen a good amount of rust if you top is in really good shape then there is a good chance you will have no rust under it but you will never know until you take it off...There will be holes you have to fill and studs that you will have to grind down..If you know much about body work it shouldnt be that big of a deal if you dont what i would do if i were you i would take the top off all the vinyl and get all that nasty glue off then take it to a body shop and let them fix it...As far as the glue good luck that stuff is a pain to get off...I used paint thinner to get mine off works pretty good but still took a little while....just my 2

·
Registered
98 Posts
a couple of years ago I pulled the top off my 82 regal.I grinded all the tabs off,pulled the plastic piece that hooks to the tabs you will see the plastic piece when the vinyl & foam is removed.now you will have a huge gap around your back window where chrome is supposed to be at it wasnt there before cuz your vinyl top was there.I couldnt get the chrome back on because my tabs were gone.so I had to get a top custom made the plastic piece had to get rivited back on cuz the material attaches to it.when complete it was a one piece half top without the stock chrome trim it.removing the top turned into a night mare.the fresh paint even got scratched at the interior shop but a month later the car was ripped off so guess it dosent matter.look at the steps you gotta take and go slow.good luck

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
yea i forgot to say anything about the chrome around the back glass on my cutty it was the same way it wasnt there and had no studs to but those clips things to hold the chrome so i used some bad ass glue stuff and just glued the chrome on worked hella good...

·
Registered
10,888 Posts
Originally posted by ville83regal@Jul 18 2003, 07:20 AM
ihrard it was hard to take off, alot of scrapping and shit, but so there goin to be any holes i got to fill in or anythink. its a 83 limited with a half top
congratulations man i just bought an 83 regal limited and i like it alot!!! :biggrin:

Last edited by SWITCHCRAFT at Jul 29 2003, 07:27 PM

1 - 9 of 9 Posts