LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my Cadillac needs a new carburator. 1980 Fleetwood Brougham. 368 V8 (6.0 L). i think it's 4 barrel, not sure though.

i want one that will greatly improve the power of the car. AT the moment i've got to pretty much floor it to get it to move. any suggestions? i don't care if i lose a little more gas, as long as i can take off from traffic lights without flooring it,and not going sluggishly, with the engine struggling to move. price is not an issue.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
shit if moneys no option than jus get the motor rebuilt along wit the carb.

·
Registered
17,780 Posts
GO TO EBAY FOR A CARb, Ive seen some really GOOD ones go for CHEAP!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;)

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally posted by fuwad85@Jul 10 2003, 10:50 PM
engine was rebuilt 3 years ago, and it's only got 12,000 miles on it since then, so there's no way i'm having it rebuilt again.

yeah, like i said, a carburator that increases noticeably the performance (power), especially at take-off. i don't want one that gives power in theory, i want to be able to feel it at the wheel, so instead of when i put my foot on the accelerator the engine struggling and the car moving ahead like a fucking snail, one where when i put my foot down the car jumps.

i don't care about gas really, but at the moment i get 7 miles a gallon, and i'd rather not drop below 6 ;)

·
Registered
463 Posts
slap some headers on it too!!!!!
thats a cheap upgrade!
im doing that to my cady, as siin as i get this carb of mine working, i just pput on a holey and i lost my brakes assistant vacuum , its hoooked up it just dont work now! fuck!
any ways
good luck

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Originally posted by Stealth+Jul 11 2003, 07:30 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Stealth @ Jul 11 2003, 07:30 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--fuwad85@Jul 10 2003, 10:50 PM
engine was rebuilt 3 years ago, and it's only got 12,000 miles on it since then, so there's no way i'm having it rebuilt again.

yeah, like i said, a carburator that increases noticeably the performance (power), especially at take-off. i don't want one that gives power in theory, i want to be able to feel it at the wheel, so instead of when i put my foot on the accelerator the engine struggling and the car moving ahead like a fucking snail, one where when i put my foot down the car jumps.

i don't care about gas really, but at the moment i get 7 miles a gallon, and i'd rather not drop below 6 ;)[/b][/quote]
alright, you want low end toque more than top end horse power. you need a carb with vacume seacondarys for sure. i would also suggest ( if you have the stock cam in that 368) nothing higher than 650 MAX and thats if you really plan on taching it out. and like dirty said---HEADERS- when i put a set on my 350 i went from 9mpg to 12mpg easy. not many other upgrades can offer a 33% increase in gas mileage plus a big increase in horse power.

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally posted by dough916@Jul 11 2003, 08:09 AM
alright, you want low end toque more than top end horse power. you need a carb with vacume seacondarys for sure. i would also suggest ( if you have the stock cam in that 368) nothing higher than 650 MAX and thats if you really plan on taching it out. and like dirty said---HEADERS- when i put a set on my 350 i went from 9mpg to 12mpg easy. not many other upgrades can offer a 33% increase in gas mileage plus a big increase in horse power.
yeah, i want low end torque (if that means power at low speeds or when i'm stopped) but also, like if i'm going 40 and i want to pass someone up, if i floor it, instead of theneedle going 40...... 41...... 42....... 43, i woudl like the car to jump forward. rather than creeping and the engine roaring. i mean, it's a big car, but it's a big, big engine. so if you guys could really recommend the exact carburator for my car (like, not just "a holley carburator"... the exact model) that would increase horsepower at the wheels, particularly when taking off from a traffic light or a dead stop, i'd really appreciate it. i'm not going to put it in myself, i'm having a professional do that, but he said only $50.00, so i'm willing to pay that for a pro to do it. should i get used? or would new be better. i don't want to use up THAT much money you know, i don't have that much of it, but if i have to wait a little longer to get the money, i'll do it.

also, someone said something about my "low pass gear" or "low pass" something wasn't working.

when you say "top end horse power" what do you mean by that? i'd like to have power whenever i floor the accelerator

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
oh.

well i'd like a bit of both actually, PARTICULARLY 'bottom end' (acceleration). before the carburator broke, i could hit 85 if i had the accelerator floored. it would be good if i could hit 85 without flooring it ;)

but yeah, i'm going more for acceleration than speed

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
edelbrock 600 definitely. I dont care what else they say. Just buy it and throw it on, set idle and drive it. Then later you can change the metering rods and jets.

·
Registered
8,700 Posts
Originally posted by 1LOWCHERO@Jul 11 2003, 04:04 PM
edelbrock 600 definitely. I dont care what else they say. Just buy it and throw it on, set idle and drive it. Then later you can change the metering rods and jets.
I agree with Lowchero.....

Also you could put a different intake on it.

·
Registered
7,362 Posts
I HAVE BEEN FUCKING WITH HIGH PERFORMANCE MOTORS FOR YEARS ..CHECK IT OUT BEST WAY HOME....I MEAN BEST WAY CAUSE I CAN TELL YOU KNOW LITTLE ABOUT CARBS LET ALONE I KNOW YOU DON'T KNOW HOW TO RE-JET A HOLLY...GET A 600 edelbrock ..CAUSE THOSE ARE CARBS THAT ARE SIMPLE FOR THE SIMPLE PERSON.. I PUT A ONE ON A 70 CADDY WITH A 500 BIG BLOCK AND IT WAS CONVERT.....THEN PUT A 750 AND IT RAN SUPER BETTER..ALSO FOR LOW END..OUT OF THE HOLE..LOOK INTO CHANGING THE MANAFOILD AND ADDING HEADDERS..BIGGER WIRES WILL BURN CLEANER...ANY PLUGS THERE ALL THE SAME SHIT..MAKE SURE THE THE OPEN END OF THE PLUG IS FACING UP WHEN ITS TIGHT..THAT WAY YOU GET BETTER SPARK......HOLLEYS ARE FOR HOT RODDERS THAT GOT THE TIME AND KNOW HOW TO RE-JET A CARB...CAUSE IF YOU JUST SLAP A HOLLEY IN 50% OF THE TIME YOUR GOING TO SMOKE ...BLACK...

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
600 edelbrock then? will i notice an increase in power? like, when i put my foot on the gas will i still sluggishly go forward? cause that's what i'm trying to counter.

also, i know the carburator i have now, one of the vacuum lines has gas in it :( i don't know how it got there, the mechanic just temporarily shut it off.

i won't be the one installing the carburator regardless. i'll have someone else do it

so i should go with the 600 edelbrock?

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
600 cfm would be perfect. and might as well throw on a new intake too. Like a Edelbrock performer, or a holley Stealth manifold. There will be a performance increase and reliabilty will be forever.

·
Registered
233 Posts
fuck Holley...dont get that piece of shit.....Get an edlebrock......i had a holley on my 64....worse shit i ever put on my car.......i bought a 600 cfm edelbrock...immediatley you will know what the difference is...my engince ran alot better.....go with edelbrock for real

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Opps my mistake, I meant to say Weiand Stealth intake. Its sweet and not too high priced. And the Edelbrock carb will bolt right on to it.

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
ok, but i won't have enough money to get the carburator and the intake at one time. once i get the carburator (edelbrock 600. you're sure this will fit, right?), can i get the intake at a later stage? doesn't the intake go on top of the carburator, like, by the air filter? so can't i just put that on later?

1 - 20 of 45 Posts