LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK heres the deal, I know a little about engines, enuf to do like a tune up or a carb rebuild but...

my caddy is burnin hella oil, Im assuming its a burnt ring? sound right?

my question is this... I want to do all the work on my car myself from the engine to the juice to the guts is this something that I can fix myself without pulling the engine?

I imagine it would be harder to do that way but I dont have access to a cherry picker or a stand so Im hoping that there is a way to fix the oil burning problem without pulling the engine

any help would be greatly appreciated
Thanks, A-Run

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
actually burning oil could be accosiated with alot of things, bad valve seales, bad pcv system, most people assume its bad piston rings, you best bet to gettn it rebuild although those motors are usually easy to werk on, its best you get it rebuild by a pro, n its best you rebuild the whole shabang not jus the valve body or crank case, cuz if you rebuild the top half than your rings will start to burn oil whereas if you rebuild the crankcase(pistons, rings, pins, bore, cylinderwall, bearings) than you'll have accelerated oil burnoff due to higher vacuum and it bein able to suck more oil from those beat up valves, good luck homie ;)

Last edited by fuwad85 at Sep 23 2003, 02:10 PM

·
Registered
64 Posts
check the easy things first like your pcv system. also look to see if your transmission has a modulator valve. if it does make sure the vacuum hose going to it from the manifold is not sucking in tranny fluid into the engine.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts