LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i finished painting my frame, base coat clear coat. after i got some reinforcements done i hit the frame up with a wire brush and wire wheel to get all the rust off, then i cleaned it and primered it, based it, flaked it, cleared it. but as i was putting the suspension back on i accedently hit the paint with the rachet and it chipped(real easy) and it was small so i was like i'll leave it like that but i did it again and it cracked real bad, so i start chipping the part with my nail to see were it would stop so i could wet sand it and re paint it, and it kept going on and on and never stoped, the paint dident stick on the frame, i can see a lil gap between the frame and paint. what the hell do i need to do for the paint to stick? i have to strip the whole frame again and repaint it so i need to know before i start again and the paint fuckes up again, i almost gave up on my car, but my homie talked me into redo it, so i need to know wtf to do to it before i quit this shit. sorry for my book^.

·
Registered
6,840 Posts
it's best if you take any piece of metal all the way down to use "etching primer" or at least a good "two part" primer to make sure that it will adhere well to the metal----also make sure that the metal is not too cold or hot when you are applying-----anything that you paint has to go through the same preparation steps like if you are painting a car----you have to primer and wet sand in between, paint and clear------this is why alot of people prefer to powder coat their frames---more resilient to chipping --------
peace

·
Registered
5,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally posted by milkweed@Nov 12 2003, 12:24 AM
did you sand the primer with 400 before you painted it?
no dident sand it before primer. could this be why?

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
when i worked at the body shop as the detailer polisher, i helped the painter alot and he always had me sand primed areas with 400
then just before it got painted it was rubed down with something like cheese cloth i think

·
Registered
5,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Originally posted by lowriderlife@Nov 12 2003, 11:28 AM
it's best if you take any piece of metal all the way down to use "etching primer" or at least a good "two part" primer to make sure that it will adhere well to the metal----also make sure that the metal is not too cold or hot when you are applying-----anything that you paint has to go through the same preparation steps like if you are painting a car----you have to primer and wet sand in between, paint and clear------this is why alot of people prefer to powder coat their frames---more resilient to chipping --------
peace
yea i think i might get it powder coated, since its just gonna be a daily, but i love the way the paint looked, orangy at different times and red at other, just looked so damn good, i really want to repaint it, i think i might just redo a lil section and prep it better and see if the paint sticks if not ima go powder coat.

·
Registered
5,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally posted by hittin back bumper+Nov 12 2003, 03:37 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (hittin back bumper @ Nov 12 2003, 03:37 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--milkweed@Nov 12 2003, 12:24 AM
did you sand the primer with 400 before you painted it?
no dident sand it before primer. could this be why?[/b][/quote]
i meant to say i dident sand the frame before primer, and yes i did sand the primer with 400 before painting, i gave a couple coats of paint and wet sanded and flaked it, then i cleared it and thats it.

·
Registered
6,840 Posts
Originally posted by milkweed@Nov 12 2003, 01:39 PM
when i worked at the body shop as the detailer polisher, i helped the painter alot and he always had me sand primed areas with 400
then just before it got painted it was rubed down with something like cheese cloth i think
the cheese cloth is called ---------"a tack rag"--kind of sticky and tacky--it lifts off all the sanding residue and light dust that might have fallen on the area that you are going to paint-- :biggrin:

·
Registered
5,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Originally posted by milkweed@Nov 12 2003, 03:46 PM
quote:
"i can see a lil gap between the frame and paint"

is there primer on the frame or did that lift too?
no everything, primer, paint, and clear came up, i see bare metal, but i was feeling on the frame and it felt a lil slick/oily, maybe i need to sand it down or just have it sandblasted before i paint.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
when i did my frame i reinforeced ground the welds then sanded it smooth with 180
then wiped the hole thing down with wax and greese remover then used etching primer, after that i used a high build primer
many coatsn then sanded it down with 400

·
Registered
6,840 Posts
Originally posted by milkweed@Nov 12 2003, 01:59 PM
when i did my frame i reinforeced ground the welds then sanded it smooth with 180
then wiped the hole thing down with wax and greese remover then used etching primer, after that i used a high build primer
many coatsn then sanded it down with 400
best way too do it---------- :biggrin:

·
Registered
343 Posts
when i did my frame i did all my reinforcing, then had it sandblasted, (cost like 200 bucks) when i got it back i gave it a light scuff with 100grit then i primed it with an epoxy primer and painted it, its been almost a year of daily driving and i have had no problems yet, even where it has bottomed out it didnt scratch, scuffed a little but did not remove any paint :cool:

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
FOR SURE GET IT BLASTED!!!! if you just sand the one area it is happening in, it will peel off in others later, blast everything to the metal, TO THE METAL!! Then the sand should have left a rough surface for the primer to stick to, you should be good to go from there, be sure to use at LEAST 3 coats of primer!! I would go 5 or 6 for a frame.........remember the Primer and Prep is what makes the paint job!!

·
Registered
5,569 Posts
you have to sand the frame after it gets sandblasted. all metal that has been sandblasted should be sanded, other wise you leave the surface too rough and you leave all the residue silicon from the sand on the surface and you could get adhesion problems!

·
Registered
5,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
thanx everyone for the reply's i was gonna repaint it, first i was gonna have it sandblasted then i was gonna repaint it, but when i went to the powder coat shop he showed me this bad ass color that matched up pretty good to my paint and i think ima go that route instead, its like a candy color, he's gonna sand blast it and powder coat it for $400. so thats what ima do instead. but like i said i wanna thank everyone for replying to help me out.

·
Registered
6,840 Posts
Originally posted by hittin back bumper@Nov 13 2003, 04:17 PM
thanx everyone for the reply's i was gonna repaint it, first i was gonna have it sandblasted then i was gonna repaint it, but when i went to the powder coat shop he showed me this bad ass color that matched up pretty good to my paint and i think ima go that route instead, its like a candy color, he's gonna sand blast it and powder coat it for $400. so thats what ima do instead. but like i said i wanna thank everyone for replying to help me out.
sounds good bro----and yes they do make "candy" powder coating colors-----peace

1 - 18 of 18 Posts